Where do you put your coffee cup or water bottle?

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Kurt
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Has anyone added something in their cab for holding cups, water bottles, and/or misc. odds and ends like sunglasses? My water bottle is forever rolling off the seat. And forget about having a cup of coffee on your way; about the only place to hold it when it's time to shift is between your legs. So what clever ideas have folks come up with?

Bought this 20 years ago. haven't seen anything like it since. It is perfect for a Willys. The center compartment is insulated as for cold cans pr bottles as well.

Attachments

• P1030132.jpg
    P1030132.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 295
Has anyone added something in their cab for holding cups, water bottles, and/or misc. odds and ends like sunglasses? My water bottle is forever rolling off the seat. And forget about having a cup of coffee on your way; about the only place to hold it when it's time to shift is between your legs. .....

Not exactly my idea of ...Hot Nuts..!!...or burning desire...!!

Here is what i came up with and built for the White Beast bout 3 years ago or so...IMG_20161119_150254742.jpg...IMG_20161119_145211785_HDR.jpg....this was something that i knew we needed to have to add at some point ...and so while i was out at a local scrap steel recycling yard looking for some other stuff for a project on my 51 truck ...i spotted some small steel tubing cutoffs bout 10 inchs long or so ......and then thought... hey, if i cut this in half and weld it to a steel plate i could put it in the truck as cupholders. I then took a average fast food cup out of the truck and started sizing it up.... and finally settled on 3 1/8 inside diameter ...so while i was looking for a suitabe small steel plate ..i came across this diamond plate cutoff.....Hmmmm,...say we got that black diamond rubber mat in truck already..!! so if i do this it would match..and look like it belonged in there..!!
A couple days later i was working on my truck and had some welding to do got done with that and thought... Well.. Hell ..while i got the welder out ... so 20 mins later ..was cut, welded, polished ,and painted.
it is made out of 3 1/8 steel tubing bout 3" 1/2 tall welded to a piece of 1/8" diamond plate ....the wide base is heavy enough not to tip over or slide around on the rubber mat.

Larry

Last edited:
Here's what I use... a magnetic holder.

I thought of one of those, but I have gauges on either side of the speedometer, and there aren't many other good vertical surfaces.

I'm almost tempted to try those hokey "hanging basket" ones that go on the door and hook into the window slot.

Has anyone added something in their cab for holding cups, water bottles, and/or misc. odds and ends like sunglasses? My water bottle is forever rolling off the seat. And forget about having a cup of coffee on your way; about the only place to hold it when it's time to shift is between your legs. ...../QUOTE]

Not exactly my idea of ...Hot Nuts..!!....

Here is what i came up with and built for the White Beast bout 3 years ago or so...View attachment 46434...View attachment 46435....this was something that i knew we needed to have to add at some point ...and so while i was out at a local scrap steel recycling yard looking for some other stuff for a project on my 51 truck ...i spotted some small steel tubing cutoffs bout 10 inchs long or so ..and then thought hey if i cut this in half and weld it to a steel plate could put it in the truck as cupholders.then took a average fast food cup out of the truck and started sizing it up and finally settled on 3 1/8 inside diameter ...so while i was looking for a suitabe small steel plate ..i came across this diamond plate cutoff.....Hmmmm,...say we got that black diamond rubber mat in truck already..!! so if i do this it would match..and look like it belonged in there..!! so couple days later i was working on my truck and had some welding to do got done with that and thought well Hell ..while i got the welder out ... so 20 mins later ..was cut, welded, polished ,and painted.
it is made out of 3 1/8 steel tubing bout 3" 1/2 tall welded to a piece of 1/8" diamond plate ....the wide base is heavy enough not to tip over or slide around on the rubber mat.

Larry

I was thinking of making something like that using 3" gray PVC conduit couplings. I just need to figure out something to put them on, and then put some Velcro on the bottom of that to cling to the carpet, or tether it to something on the seat platform.

I use the Maggie, double magnetic cup holder which I found on eBay -- paid $35 for it and it's great. has felt on the back so doesn't scratch the dash, etc. we've had 2 big drinks in it and no issues. I went to look at another for the pickup and whoa, now up to $44 but will continue looking as I expect I can likely find it less elsewhere.

I have also seen people use the Magnetic Spray Can and Screwdriver Holder from harbor freight which feedback shows works well.

[h=1]Greg[/h]

Has anyone tried the ones that affix to the glass with a suction cup? I just saw one on eBay for $10 that looks like it might work if it stays attached! They hang off a swivel much like you might see on a boat. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't hold a 32 ounce cup, but I usually max out at 12-16 ounces of coffee, so maybe okay for me?

Hi Carter. Here is a picture of a long awaited Double Cup Holder that I Fabricated & Installed in my 57 Willys Pickup (Floyd). I cut out the Original Hump and Fabricated my own "Flat Hump". This gave me the room I needed to Install the Double Cup Holder. It works really good and the Insulated Cups in their Insulated Cup Holders Stay put even going up and down very Steep Grades and Off Chamber situations. Pivnic

Floyd 704a 20180711 - Floyd's Interior with New Hump & Shifters & Double Cup Holders 5519.JPG

Last edited:
I purchased my cup holder from my 3 best friends, the Pep Boys 10 years ago..
And when stopped my glove box door serves as a shelf for my fries.

Attachments

• Willys 3.JPG
    Willys 3.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 186
  • Willys 6 24 14 004.JPG
    Willys 6 24 14 004.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 186
Since I have bucket seats I attached the large leather "double nail bag" portion of an old tool belt between the seats just below the rear window. It holds my tall travel mugs upright without spillage and is surprisingly easy to reach.

I took inspiration from John (Pivnic) and added a few flourishes.

IMG_6555.jpg

IMG_6559.jpg

IMG_6560.jpg

This was made from three 3-inch flexible couplings, six paper clips to bind them together top and bottom where the bands (hose clamps) intersect, some spare 1/4-inch closed cell foam cut to fit, and three squares of sticky-back Velcro. The couplings are almost 4 inches deep, so it's a nice secure fit. This will sit on my carpeted hump just in front of the seat.

Last edited:
DSCN1436.jpgNot a great shot, the drink holder is a Rubbermaid product from Wal-mart, 5 bucks. I used the exsisting screw in the dash to fasten the drink holder. The wicker tray was 50 cents from St. Vinnies suspended with Spyder wire fishing line. Both work great. I also have a small fishing creel on the tranny hump. Sorry abought the extra photos. Best of luck. :cheers:

Larry (Blindmelon), on your second picture, what did the brown seat come out of? I think it looks good and fits like it came from the factory?

Larry (Blindmelon), on your second picture, what did the brown seat come out of? I think it looks good and fits like it came from the factory?

The seat is grey... It came out of a 1990 Dodge Dakota.. Tilt back... Reupholstered of course.

I chose this as a replacement because: It is the correct width.
It uses molded foam.......Much more comfortable on long trips.
The tilt back allows me to slide the base all the way back for max leg and belly room.
I used 2"x2" wood spacers under the seat for additional leg room.
I did NOT want head rests or a center cut out like a Toyota.

I can drive 600 highway miles in a day without cramping.

The seat was hard to find.

Back