Anyone else have two extra aux gauges on a 1957-1965 truck or wagon?

scramboleer

Super Moderator
Staff member
All-Star
Aug 16, 2011
San Francisco, California
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
I was wondering how many of you have two extra auxiliary gauges flanking the single speedo assembly of the 1957-1965 truck or wagon like this:
1960 2wd Willys Wagon dash.jpg
It's not unusual to see these two extra gauges.

Here's a shot of the dash of a 1960 2wd wagon:

s-l1600.jpg

Interestingly, the extra gauges are flip-flopped with the warning lights built into the stock speedo assembly (idiot light for amp is on the left, extra amp gauge is on the right of the speedo; vice-versa for oil pressure)

I am wondering if this was a decision made by individual Willys owners to supplement the warning lights or if a dealer(s) installed the two extra gauges. A third, but far less likely, option would be factory-installed. I recall reading somewhere that a Willys expert (@Bill Norris?) has seen a factory wiring harness with wires leading to the two extra gauges...

Anyway, just wondering...

Scramboleer,

I have seen those gauges on two other vehicles that were very unusual. Both were essentially 4WD Travellers, but without the rear windows (can't imagine riding in the back of one of them in the summer). Neither had the spare tire rack, but had the holes punched for installation. Anyway, the one guy swears his was wired into the factory harness when he restored it himself. The other guy paid to have his restored, so he wasn't sure. I don't recall which gauge was on which side. I'll see if I have some close up pics.

I have asked the real Willys experts and they can't find any factory documentation to support the installation.

Bill

My dad did it to ours based on others around our town who had also done them. That was around '65. He used Stewart Warner, but others had various other manufacturer's gauges. It wasnt uncommon to see more than just two guages, especially when one of the stock ones (below the speedo) died. My .02

... It wasnt uncommon to see more than just two guages, especially when one of the stock ones (below the speedo) died. My .02
Yeah, this is my hypothesis as well. I love how the stock gauges look, but boy are they fragile. Plus the 1957 and onward speedo dropped two of the gauges. A warning light is far less useful than an actual (and working) gauge.

There is a maverick for sale on eWillys today that has the same two gauges shown in the photo above. Now you got me wondering Dan.

There is a maverick for sale on eWillys today that has the same two gauges shown in the photo above. Now you got me wondering Dan.

Thanks Lew. Here are some pictures of the one on eWillys. It's a 1960 if that matters.
00e0e_8XMIW6pgQ8b_600x450.jpg
1960-wagon-callao-v1.jpg
I will keep scanning for Willys with these pair of aux gauges to add to this thread. Not sure what the data will show over time, if anything.

My '60 wagon has the two extra gauge holes, but they are positioned a bit lower on the dash than most of the others I've seen.

afgauge07.jpg

One side has an oil pressure guage, and the other had a small cheap clock in it when I bought the wagon. I now have an air/fuel mixture gauge where the clock was.
Note that a previous owner put the data plate over the ash tray hole... Since the old ash tray is badly pitted and ugly, I haven't yet put the data plate back where it belongs and reinstalled the ash tray.
The headlight switch is also in the wrong hole...

Pete

I believe I've seen a drilling template published by Stewart-Warner for gauge placement on round speedo (56-up) utilities. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these gauges were dealer added accessories when the Jeep was originally sold.

Last edited:
My 1959 Wagon. 4 holes, poorly aligned. No idea what was in the upper left hole.

Both my glove box cover and the panel on driver's side had 12 switches mounted in each. 24 switches in total, all fused. No idea what they were planned for. (Disco ball, strobe lights I imagine by the purple fur headliner it had) I am keeping the funky map light. It's just old school.

I imagine the two added gauges were seen in a 1980's Four Wheeler Magazine and copied. Haha
b26ba675e4f0afb47aa1038a8b8e297b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back