Jun 30, 2018
California
First Name
Wesley
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
I bought a 1957 Willys pickup and was told that it ran when parked. My dad and I replaced the coil and ballast resistor correctly. The old ignition had to be replaced since the keys were missing and we believe that it is wired as it was before but aren't completely sure. We plan to replace all the wires later on but are focusing on just getting it running at the moment. The pickup has a Chevy 283 in it. Assuming everything is wired correctly, what would be the next place to check if the coil isn't sparking? Thank you and sorry it's not very specific

Tom1956

Well Oiled
All-Star
Dec 20, 2011
Flushing Michigan
First Name
Tom
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
  2. 1957
is there a way to bypass the ignition ? hot wire it, if it starts by passing the ignition then it's in the ignition wiring. Just a thought.

TAO1

Sharpest Tool
Feb 12, 2015
Denver, Co
First Name
Thomas
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Hello Wesley. Welcome to the forum.

When you say "assuming" that opens up the Pandora Question Box.

You don't say if you were told how long ago it had been parked.
I also have a 283ci engine in my 57 Pickup and best I can say from my experience is to start by going back to your starting point and recheck the switch wiring using a switch wiring diagram to be sure that the connections are correct.
I have learned not to trust sellers statements, period.
Assume the worst and hope for the best.
Don't ask me how I know.

Cheers. Thomas

EssenceOfWillys

Knuckle Buster
Jun 30, 2018
California
First Name
Wesley
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
The switch turns the motor over and we have tried to hotwire it. Everything looks fine up until it gets to the coil, I'm thinking I should get a meter and test where the the power is lost

EssenceOfWillys

Knuckle Buster
Jun 30, 2018
California
First Name
Wesley
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Hi Thomas and thank you, it was parked four years ago due to the brakes not working anymore so I wouldn't imagine the engine having too many problems starting. Also I haven't found any wiring diagrams that are too helpful and often find ones that are very different from everything already in the truck.
This picture may help
image1 (1).jpg

dlj

Sharpest Tool
Nov 16, 2009
Wis
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I would unhook wire going to coil,then run a wire from the battery to coil,and see if it starts. If not get a test light and check the side of the coil going to distributor to see if there is power coming out of coil when turning engine over.

richardhufford

Bigger Hammer
Apr 7, 2018
San Jose, AZ
First Name
Richard
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
My old GMC Truck started running rough, so I replaced its integrated points and condenser. It turns out I purchased good points but a bad condenser. I could get an occasional spark from the coil. The condenser worked when everything was cold, but as the engine warmed up, and as Summer came on, it would not run. I didn't figure out the problem until I'd replaced every ignition part I could think of and the carburetor. You might want to try a new condenser.