Gear Grinder
May 23, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
First Name
Court
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Hope I am not duplicating posts. Am replacing fuel tank on 226 ‘55 flatbed. Jeff to route wiring from tank sending unit to gauge. Could someone tell me exactly how to wire it? Thanks in advance.

Dahdo

Bigger Hammer
All-Star
Dec 27, 2019
Beavercreek, Oregon
First Name
Dave
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
One wire from sending unit base to ground. Other wire from SU terminal to back of fuel gauge. Easy peasy.
Joe, I just put in a new sender and there wasn't a ground wire, do you know if that was original? I added one on the new sender cause it just seems like a good idea. Where did you ground it? I'm thinking a self tapping screw in the frame nearby.

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joseph
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Joe, I just put in a new sender and there wasn't a ground wire, do you know if that was original? I added one on the new sender cause it just seems like a good idea. Where did you ground it? I'm thinking a self tapping screw in the frame nearby.
I think there was not a ground wire originally. I didn't see one amongst the dilapidated wiring on my truck. But, any person working back there already would be foolish to not add a ground wire. The accuracy of the fuel gauge is all about measuring the electrical resistance.
I grounded the sending unit and rear lights to an existing hole in the rear of the frame. Make sure to sand to clean bare metal and then I recommend a light coat of dielectric grease. Also make sure your braided ground strap from engine to frame is in place and is attached to clean metal.

Cannoncreek

Gear Grinder
May 23, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
First Name
Court
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I think there was not a ground wire originally. I didn't see one amongst the dilapidated wiring on my truck. But, any person working back there already would be foolish to not add a ground wire. The accuracy of the fuel gauge is all about measuring the electrical resistance.
I grounded the sending unit and rear lights to an existing hole in the rear of the frame. Make sure to sand to clean bare metal and then I recommend a light coat of dielectric grease. Also make sure your braided ground strap from engine to frame is in place and is attached to clean metal.
Thanks, Stakebed. But I am wondering how, exactly, to ground it when there is only one wire terminal on the sending unit. Thx in advance