Jun 28, 2018
Colorado
First Name
William
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
Been working on this old CJ since last winter. Got it started yesterday but had some wiring issues. I have converted to 12volt. Did away with ignition key that was on it. Put in an On/Off switch and a foot starter. I had some crazy wiring and took it out last night. Made a new diagram and I think it should work. Any Ideas? Worries?

Attachments

• wiring diagram.jpg
    wiring diagram.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 20
The new 12 v coil said do not use a resister. ??? Must be built in? Everything else look okay?

You really need to verify that things have a good, clean ground path back to the battery. Rust is your enemy. Do you have the battery grounded to the engine block and then a braided ground strap from block to frame? Then in a perfect world you would have multiple ground wires from body to frame. I would recommend at least separate ground wires for the grille assembly and for the cab.

No just the single light in the rear and I do have a ground. The fuel sensor I will have to work on. I do have a good braided ground. Also a ground stud on the firewall that is connected to braided wire bolt. Thanks for the advice. Going out now to fix theses issues.

Alright, got it fired up and timed. Running well. Problem-because the alternator and coil are both connected to the amp meter, When I turn the switch off the engine continues to run because to coil is still charged by the Alt. I think. ??????? How to change wiring to turn power off to coil?

Ahhh, you installed a battery disconnect switch between the starter and ammeter. Okay that terminates power to the truck. You need an on/off toggle switch between the ammeter and the coil +. Or, use an ign switch.

Back