57Willys

Precision Fit
All-Star
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I have some nos leather seals for copy just send me back the originals and an extra pair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott, your offer is very generous. Since this is Nathan's post and I feel like I am "getting in his cool-aid" I would like to defer to him first. Sounds like he has a handle on leather supplies and an original washer would seal the deal and he may be starting a list for folks as well. Nathan, if you want to take Scott up on his offer that would be great and I will help you anyway I can.

My goal is to bring another obsolete part to the members here and I am sure Nathan feels the same way. Thank you Nathan for posting this thread. Started quite a conversation.

57Willys

Precision Fit
All-Star
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
That is a really nice tool, but since retiring I don't have access to a lathe anymore, but if you are careful and use a soft (aluminum or hard plastic) drift you can get those nuts off or on without damage. Just a note for any other tool deprived folks like me.
Gary, you are not deprived. Just use the Tool Loaner" thread and it's yours. I am really pleased how everyone offered real life experience and checked their parts bin to help out. This is a great group of folks.

57Willys

Precision Fit
All-Star
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I may have a couple of originals and will look tomorrow, but you think we might be obsessing a little about the washers? Maybe a bit? `
You're right. I am going to blame Bill Kuran for setting the bar so high. He is meticulous in his research and it continues into practice. His motor is all about obsessing over every detail and the results speak for themselves. Me, I got to start with washers and work my way up.

cwdtmmrs

Well Oiled
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
You're right. I am going to blame Bill Kuran for setting the bar so high. He is meticulous in his research and it continues into practice. His motor is all about obsessing over every detail and the results speak for themselves. Me, I got to start with washers and work my way up.
No arguments here! Blaming Bill works for me! :)

vintagetrk

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
First Name
nathan
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I c
Scott, your offer is very generous. Since this is Nathan's post and I feel like I am "getting in his cool-aid" I would like to defer to him first. Sounds like he has a handle on leather supplies and an original washer would seal the deal and he may be starting a list for folks as well. Nathan, if you want to take Scott up on his offer that would be great and I will help you anyway I can.

My goal is to bring another obsolete part to the members here and I am sure Nathan feels the same way. Thank you Nathan for posting this thread. Started quite a conversation.
That works for me if it works for you. It would help in the process. Once I build a flat template out of steel I can cut a bunch out and gladly offer them up for materials + shipping. As much as this forum has been patient and helped me out its the least I can do!

Bill Kuran

Precision Fit
All-Star
First Name
Bill
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
No arguments here! Blaming Bill works for me! :)
What? Meticulous, obsessive, driven, neurotic, psychconeurotic, mental case??? How can that be? Now, I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks looking into whether or not I have living with a personality disorder.:cool:

Happy to hear some of it is wearing off but don't let it get in the way of finishing your project!

vintagetrk

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
First Name
nathan
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Okay I'm moved and now motivated. I bought a set of leather punches and will start working on different thicknesses of leather for the washers.

I will use a veg tan leather as I dont know how an oil tan will effect paint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pointy Grille

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
First Name
Bob
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
What? Meticulous, obsessive, driven, neurotic, psychconeurotic, mental case??? How can that be? Now, I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks looking into whether or not I have living with a personality disorder.:cool:

Happy to hear some of it is wearing off but don't let it get in the way of finishing your project!
You must work for the military or the gubment :)
I think some of it IS wearing off; I spend way too much time studying your pics!

vintagetrk

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
First Name
nathan
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Okay, I have made 2 version. One pattern of the original dimension, and some change. The other was what I felt the leather gasket looked like before it dried up.

I can make a set but I won't waterproof or treat them since I'm not sure if any of the commercial dyes or soaps will harm paint. You will have to do the experiment yourself.

I tried to make them as professional looking as possible but by hand they will never be as good as a pressed stamp. Maybe if enough people want them I'll have one made.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk