Willys Wagon West 2021

Yesterday, between other tasks I received my threaded inserts and machine screws. So I worked on the fuel side of the airtex first; drilling out holes and tapping new threads, threading in the insert, and the smoothing everything out.

20210401_165246.jpg

The goal is to create a fuel pump that won't come apart from threads pulling, or different heat expanion rates, etc. I also finished drilling and tapping the set screws for the fuel check valves and red locktited those into place. In the next few days I will finish up the vacuum side and start on the Carter pump rebuild.

More to come, as we prep for Pikes Peak and beyond.

20210410_155327.jpg

Whoa! That's not a Willys part...

The truck this disaster belongs to is blocking my work bay right now. Once it is done(hopefully this week) the projects for the wagon leading up to the trip are:

Pedal bushings
Pull rear wheels and hubs, check brakes, clean out any extra grease from the wheel bearings and reassemble.
Closer to the trip a 6,000 mile service(valves etc)
New oil filter housing
New WW super dizzy mount
Nuts and bolts check
Lube doors
Lube speedo and cable
Patch hole in headliner
Check front wheel bearings
Deep interior cleaning
And probably a few other things.

More to come.

20200724_143928.jpg

That would make for a fine painting.
I agree.

My Mother actually spent most of my life painting western landscapes with oil, had works on display around North America and Europe. Sadly, those days are over. The paintings are still out there, but it took a certain mindset to get the shots for the composition and then the quiet time to recreate them on canvas.

I can remember exploring the flint Hills of Kansas in the back of her first year Ford Explorer, all over the Oregon and Santa Fe trails, Wyoming, etc. while she shot millions of photos, waiting for the right light or mood. We went through tires like crazy, explored mountain passes, watched cowboys and farmers work the land and their animals.

I guess I can blame her for the millions of photos I snap everywhere I go.

I agree.

My Mother actually spent most of my life painting western landscapes with oil, had works on display around North America and Europe. Sadly, those days are over. The paintings are still out there, but it took a certain mindset to get the shots for the composition and then the quiet time to recreate them on canvas.

I can remember exploring the flint Hills of Kansas in the back of her first year Ford Explorer, all over the Oregon and Santa Fe trails, Wyoming, etc. while she shot millions of photos, waiting for the right light or mood. We went through tires like crazy, explored mountain passes, watched cowboys and farmers work the land and their . animals

.I guess I can blame her for the millions of photos I snap everywhere I go
Bit easier in the digital age , as we can delete those photos that ain't quite right ,,,

Well fellas - the trip planning/prep hit a small snag. We moved into a new place in November, out in the country a little way from the town we lived in previously.

Well, the neighbor across the street sold out and the new owner is going to build a 1.2 million sq foot warehouse there, out in the country. The fight with the local government exhausted and lost. It has been a nasty few months.

So - we are selling and moving. Once everything is back under control we will return to our previously scheduled programming.

Time to look to the upside. If you think about the pioneers of this part of the country, and the westward expansion, droughts, confrontation, famine, hardships etc, this is nothing. Yeah it sucks, but we can move and find a different, eventually better place. Because of them we can all enjoy what we do today.

I could go for a fresh pipe full of tobacco and some shade under a cottonwood.

20200724_160041.jpg

Well fellas - the trip planning/prep hit a small snag. We moved into a new place in November, out in the country a little way from the town we lived in previously.

Well, the neighbor across the street sold out and the new owner is going to build a 1.2 million sq foot warehouse there, out in the country. The fight with the local government exhausted and lost. It has been a nasty few months.

So - we are selling and moving. Once everything is back under control we will return to our previously scheduled programming.

Time to look to the upside. If you think about the pioneers of this part of the country, and the westward expansion, droughts, confrontation, famine, hardships etc, this is nothing. Yeah it sucks, but we can move and find a different, eventually better place. Because of them we can all enjoy what we do today.

I could go for a fresh pipe full of tobacco and some shade under a cottonwood.

View attachment 97815
Is there a bright side? Could your place be more valuable now, as a potential commercial development site? Or an attractive place for the employees of the new warehouse to live?

Last edited:
It will just make the trip a little better when you finally get to take it.

Edit: Ben, your delay might have been a blessing. It was 28 degrees at my house two nights ago (May 21st). Seems like even summer is getting a late start! I have found out that 50-60 degree weather is perfect for Willy's riding weather. Nothing like going around and emptying all the irrigation pumps at the end of May. Gotta love Wyo!

Last edited:
Back