Well Oiled
Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
This is all "Greek" to me...where is Moab? Whats so special about it? I'm not the brightest bulb on the the tree I guess.. :geek:
But I can fabricate, weld and do my own painting.......plus have a cold one at times :cheers:

Midnightburn

Precision Fit
Sep 18, 2009
Idaho
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Moab is only one of the biggest best wheeling locations in the US! Do a search on the web and you will quickly see why.

So far, we aren't getting a very strong turn out for 2010. Hopefully 2011 is even better and I hope some of you guys that are working on your rigs will have them ready for a road trip!

JBingham

Bigger Hammer
Dec 18, 2009
Ozark, Alabama
If the truck isn't ready in 2011, I'll still go for the iron butt on the bike! Now that I know about it, I can save up a bit of leave, and prepare!:)

Dimmwatt

Sharpest Tool
Sep 19, 2009
Long Beach Ca
First Name
Casey
Willys Model
Wagon, Pickup
Willys Year:
1948, 1957
Hello Ladies and Gents! Its getting closer to May and I'm getting more excited every day. I brought my Willys home today! As some of you may have known, I have been working on it on weekends 90 miles from my home in Huntington Beach CA. Now that its here, I will be able to get it done in a hurry!

I need every one that is interested in attending the event to e-mail me, if you already havnt (see flyer above for my address, dont want to type it for spam reasons).

Thanks

Casey

Pete

Founder/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Dimmwatt said:
...I need every one that is interested in attending the event to e-mail me...
How many are planning to attend so far?

Pete

SavageSun Willys

Sharpest Tool
Jan 7, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Willys Model
Willys Year:
62 OlllO said:
This is all "Greek" to me...where is Moab? Whats so special about it? I'm not the brightest bulb on the the tree I guess.. :geek:
But I can fabricate, weld and do my own painting.......plus have a cold one at times :cheers:
Moab is to Jeeps what Mecca is to a Muslim, Rome to a Catholic, Israel to a Jew and Wash DC is to a lying, stealing politician.

In other words at some point in your life you MUST go.

I have been there 12 times and its always fun.

I intend on going to the May event even tho my rig will not be ready or even close I am sure. But I am going in hopes of seeing other rigs with various mods, talking to a lot of owners, learning and taking a bunch of fotos.

I suggest that anyone here that has or intends on acquiring a Willys of any year or make that they do same.

62 OlllO

Well Oiled
Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
SavageSun you already got my engine revvving.....May 15....mmmmmmmmm, not that far away...an airline ticket can't cost that much...sleeping bag and my thumb. Perhaps it's possible.

Midnightburn

Precision Fit
Sep 18, 2009
Idaho
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I hope all of you can go in some way shape or form. This is a start of something special that we really want everyone to be a part of. Even if you don't have your rig ready, come join the fun. It's going to be low-keyed this first year, but that's really what we are looking for. Just good old fashioned fun. No big productions; just hangin' out and checking out rigs and talking shop with some nice scenic trail runs.

Do whatever you have to do to make it!!

JBingham

Bigger Hammer
Dec 18, 2009
Ozark, Alabama
You guys take and post plenty of pictures, sadly, everytime something fun like this happens, I have something else going on the requires my attendence. If any other events are planned this summer though, make sure to post about them!

SavageSun Willys

Sharpest Tool
Jan 7, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Willys Model
Willys Year:
62 OlllO said:
SavageSun you already got my engine revvving.....May 15....mmmmmmmmm, not that far away...an airline ticket can't cost that much...sleeping bag and my thumb. Perhaps it's possible.
You and I coord on this and for I will even PUT a passenger seat in my Jeep to haul you around if you can make it... ;)

Midnightburn said:
I hope all of you can go in some way shape or form. This is a start of something special that we really want everyone to be a part of. Even if you don't have your rig ready, come join the fun. It's going to be low-keyed this first year, but that's really what we are looking for. Just good old fashioned fun. No big productions; just hangin' out and checking out rigs and talking shop. Oh and don't forget the scenic trail runs.

Do whatever you have to do to make it!!
Agreed fully.

Since this is the first one its also a chance to come on line with suggestions. I personally am not real hopped up on a May date. Weather can be iffy and run the gamut from way too hot to way too cold. Were I setting the date it would be a Sept - Oct time frame. Dry, less humid, cool nights and warm days.

Wife and I went up a couple of years ago for Thanksgiving. Wonderful weather and the last two days we were there a SNOW storm blew in and dropped 4 in of snow. So we got a days worth of snow wheeling in and headed home the next day.

Moab is a Mecca for hikers, bikes, Jeeps, 'free-climbers', photographers and foreign visitors. The scenery is just plain BEAUTIFUL, downtown is loaded with little shops that keep the family entertained and you can walk everywhere you need to go.

Moab is really a good time for you and your family too.

I will post info on places to stay, eat etc as time goes by.

Some things are SOP: Meet-up spot. parking lot of City Market (YES that is all you need to know)

Tails: Mild to wild, I have run most trails out there and of all of them my fav is always Hell's Revenge. Doable in a OEM Willys wagon/PU with 4x4 and decent tires. Bring the family, a camera and lunch. It is a 3.5+ trail and that rating is based upon the 'WTH' factor...'we AREN'T really going to go up/down this are we?????' I have a ton of pics but all are too large to be able to post them on here.

Think of Hell's Revenge as a carnival ride, scary but really safe and lots of fun sure to provide life-long memories.

You will hear much talk about the "slickrock" of Moab. The rock is NOT slick, in fact its a known axle and u joint breaker due to the HIGH friction of the sandstone. Its called slickrock due to the shiny appearance when it gets wet, it looks like its as slick as ice yet its not. Those of heavy foot will learn to take it easy on the go-pedal.

I have 3 pics you can view on the opening page of my website http://www.savagesun4x4.com/ Top left is on a bluff overlooking the Colorado river on a side trail of Hell's Revenge, left side, 3rd pic down is the highway going thru Monument Valley just S of Moab and on the right 4th pic down is the Moab Rim trail I am driving on, this trail overlooks the city of Moab. You will note my drivers side rear wheel is several feet in the air.

See you there...

SavageSun Willys

Sharpest Tool
Jan 7, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Wife has decided to go to Moab with me. She does that from time time, usually when I am not doing the HEAVY trails...

I will make arrangements and post as I do...

62 OlllO

Well Oiled
Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I'm still thinking of going to Moab in May....I will have to work extra hard to see if my 62 would be ready for the trip. I have a childhood friend who lives in Colorado (owns a large horse ranch), near Moab, who said come on out....so if the Willys isn't ready perhaps a flight into Denver, rent a car and enjoy...right now there is a 15% chance...

SavageSun Willys

Sharpest Tool
Jan 7, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Willys Model
Willys Year:
62 OlllO said:
I'm still thinking of going to Moab in May....I will have to work extra hard to see if my 62 would be ready for the trip. I have a childhood friend who lives in Colorado (owns a large horse ranch), near Moab, who said come on out....so if the Willys isn't ready perhaps a flight into Denver, rent a car and enjoy...right now there is a 15% chance...
Well you are certainly welcome to kick around with me. My wife won't mind and she will spend most of the time in town anyhow. Unless there is a compelling reason I will most likely leave out on Monday for the trip back to Scotts...

62 OlllO

Well Oiled
Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I won't need no stink'en seat, just strap me down on the front fender like a deer.