Why so many sticks on the floor - transfer case?

OldTinTim

Gear Grinder
Jan 25, 2010
Hagerstown, MD
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Seems like a lot of shifting. One of the parts trucks has one main shifter and two small shifters to the right. The other wagon has two more bonus sticks. What would they go to? [attachment=0:27ncgm2u]tn_IMG_3525.JPG[/attachment:27ncgm2u]

Attachments

• tn_IMG_3525.JPG
    tn_IMG_3525.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 226
I had four and didn't know which was which (tranny 3 speed, overdrive, hi-low range and 2 or 4 wheel), you have five to deal with :lol: - good luck! I thought I had a Cat D8. My automatic swap will make life easier for me...one lever.

Hey Tim,

Looks to me like you might have a PTO or two or perhaps a PTO and an overdrive under your floor boards. Very desirable parts if you don't want to keep them.

splinterguy said:
Hey Tim,

Looks to me like you might have a PTO or two or perhaps a PTO and an overdrive under your floor boards. Very desirable parts if you don't want to keep them.

Thanks for the info Ric. I'll see if I can get some pictures from underneath.

Wow, wish I could come across a find like that. More sticks = more fun. Don't wish to insult anyone but, some folks just don't know what they've got. Happy Willy-ing.

Mine has 4....... You can always just enjoy being different than everybody else. That is my plan.

I think the seperate Overdrive is just plain cool.

BioTex said:
Tim,
Are those going to be for sale? I could use an overdrive.

Yes, everything that is on the two parts wagons listed under the for sale classifieds is going to be available. I'm keeping a list of people that express interest in different parts. I am working through the list as I get time, (mostly weekends).

The little stuff is going to be pretty easy to come to agreement regarding price. An over drive (or pto, whatever the extra twin sticks are) may be a bit more difficult to place a value on.

I have no desire to hoard this stuff. I do have a desire to get it into the hands of someone who will be able to appreciate it and put it back to the use it was intended for. I ended up with these two vehicles as projects that the man had given up on.

There are just too many usable parts left on them for me to send them to the crusher. That to me would be somehow just be plain wrong.

Thanks for helping me work through this.

cw pup said:
Wow, wish I could come across a find like that. More sticks = more fun. Don't wish to insult anyone but, some folks just don't know what they've got. Happy Willy-ing.

I'm not insulted (if you were referring to me).

The man that gave up on these projects really wanted to see them fixed up. I promised only that I would treat them with respect. It appears that spreading some of their parts across the country to be cared for again is the highest and best use for them.

splinterguy said:
Hey Tim,

Could this be a twin PTO? One to the front, one to the rear? It looks like (according to the floorboard hack) that it may have been added.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0180.JPG
    tn_IMG_0180.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 50
  • tn_IMG_0182.JPG
    tn_IMG_0182.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 50
I belive in that picture there is the 3 speed tranny, 2 shifter transfer case, a twin stick pto(not sure manufacture but looks like a koning), also it appers that this guy put a Borg Warner overdrive that i have been told doesn't work well on a 4 wheel drive. The PTO has a front output and rear input. I have most of that on my wagon except i got a warn overdrive.

Looks like a sweet find after I finally found all that stuff. Do you have a rear seat heater in that wagon by chance?

Thanks

My 63 Willys Wagon has FIVE sticks on the floor. They are: Three speed shifter, four wheel drive in/out shifter, Hi/Lo Range shifter, PTO in/out shifter, and the Plow Joy Stick Shifter. If I installed my original Warn Overdrive I would have SIX Shifters!! I agree, the more shifters, the more fun!

That PTO looks like the one for a CJ. The one for a pickup would have a strait side and would be kinda angled on the other.

Back