Who's had luck with a 226 S-H rear main seal?

CJ Steak

Bigger Hammer
Oct 5, 2009
Hutto, TX - Near Austin
Willys Model
Willys Year:
My '62 pickup has a detailed and great running 226 Super Hurricane in it. For as long as I own my truck, that's the motor it's going to have in it. I've put thousands of miles on it and only have one complaint...

The issue i'm running into is a pretty big oil leak from the rear main seal. I sealed it once with the original rope style seal and it's still leaking pretty bad. I've fixed all the other oil leaks on the engine... and its a little irritating knowing i'm going to have to break the oil pan loose as well as the timing chain cover, to try the rear main again.

I purchased another rope seal set, as well as a 2 piece neoprene seal that says it can be used in 226's that have been modifed with a 230 rear main cap.

Anyone have experience sealing a 226 with a 230 2 piece seal? :D

Thanks

CJ,
When I acquired my 226 I tore it down to inspect and replace all the seals. I used a two piece neoprene as I have with any other rear main needing replacement. This was back in 2003 and it's still dry. Rope seals are good for a while, but then they become saturated and you know the rest. The neoprene seals are the way to go. There are three things to keep in mind though:
1. Follow the directions that come with the seal to be sure it's facing in the proper direction. Usually, the lip goes forward.
2. Make sure you stagger the joints. one side should be about 1/4" up from the joint and the other side 1/4" down. You probably already know this, so we'll just call it gee whiz info.
3. Be sure to put a thin film of silicone on the mating surfaces of the filler block (it wouldn't hurt to use new hardware here with loc-tite)

With all of these accomplished you should have a leak free rear. :lol:

Oh, one more thing. Check your fly wheel studs for loosness. It would suck to do all of this only to find out the oil is seeping past those studs.

Let us know how it goes.
Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the info! So just to be sure because i'm really weary of doing this job again. You just installed the two piece seal using the steps you mentioned and that was it? Much like changing out a two piece seal on a newer Ford or Chevy motor?

The thing that prevented me from doing this sooner, was the box said you had to covert something from the 230 motor to the 226 for the new seal to work. Something about the rear main seal retainer block.

If that's not needed, that's great! I'll hop right on this project!

-Chris

CJ, I used nothing from a 230. The 226 utilizes what's called a filler block at the rear of the bearing journal. When you pull the filler block off the other half of the seal will be in what's called a filler gaurd. The process is the same as you mention with a chevy or a ford. It's just more pieces. Willys America carries the gasket sets for this. There are two versions:
1. Made in Taiwan, brazil, wherever. Very low quality.
2. Made in USA (Fel pro if I remember correctly) Better quality.

As always, the USA made is more money, but your choice.

I have a picture of the set up out of a manual I try to put in here somewhere, or i can email it to you. Let me know.
Steve

I think the guys have covered it pretty well, the filler block with the neoprene seal is the way to go. I think some of the earlier 226's may have used a rope seal but by the later 50's it should have a filler block. Mine is a 1959 and has the filler block.

FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE 2 STYLES OF CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCK GUARDS AND CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCKS. ONE USES THE ROPE STYLE SEAL WITH A SPECIAL PAN GASKET AND THE OTHER USES THE NEOPRENE SEAL AND 2 SMALL ENGINE TO BLOCK GASKETS AND A SPECIAL PAN GASKET. THE CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCK GUARD AND CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCK THAT USES THE ROPE SEAL IS HARD TO FIND. THE ENGINE SERIAL NUMBERS FOR THE NEW CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCK GUARD AND CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCK WITH THE NEOPRENE SEAL ARE SW-6-L-226-13542 AND TW-6-L-226-74176. CAN SOMEBODY POST A LINK TO THE PAN GASKET AND CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCK GUARD AND CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCK NEOPRENE SEAL SET? THE TWO HAVE TO BE A MATCHED SET TO WORK. THE PAN GASKET THAT IS USED WITH THE CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCK GUARD AND CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCK FOR LATE MODELS IS DIFFERENT THAN THE PAN GASKET THAT IS USED WITH THE CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCK GUARD AND CRANKSHAFT REAR FILLER BLOCK ON THE EARLY MODELS AS THE SEAL FOR EARLY AND LATE MODELS.

Back