Where was your Willys today?

There are so many nice rigs on this forum it's amazing! I'm kinda like a kid in a candy store. Way too nice for where I take mine. I would be in tears the whole time. Just some pictures at our camp, did a little body work while I'm here.20200527_203018.jpgI do believe there is a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow AKA willys. 20200527_203320.jpg20200527_203137.jpg

Easy to see why you are best friends.
Yea, his { the Blue one } has been done for a few years and has 10,00 miles on it and I just finished mine. Actually, I was on a test run and he said he would meet me to catch up since the Covid 19 thing hit. And I wanted to see them side by side to compare. His is 4x4 and mine is 2w We can't wait till Shows start back up so we can show them off together.

Looks a lot like the weather in Alta today. Just on the north side of the American River Canyon from you. From 6:00 AM to 8:30 AM we had 7/8 inch of rain, with afternoon showers, pushed it to just over 1".

Heeey, we didn't get no stinkin' rain!

Yea, his { the Blue one } has been done for a few years and has 10,00 miles on it and I just finished mine. Actually, I was on a test run and he said he would meet me to catch up since the Covid 19 thing hit. And I wanted to see them side by side to compare. His is 4x4 and mine is 2w We can't wait till Shows start back up so we can show them off together.
Good looking pair of trucks!!

The sky was amazing today, and the rain brought “steam” off the road and the forest.
A582AC87-49CE-4A11-8022-214B1AB8CE81.jpeg
All these pictures are along Wentworth Springs Rd. If you’ve ever done the Rubicon Trail, you’ve probably been on this road.
BC8A486B-1A0C-4903-AFD6-E935DFFFD341.jpeg
The photo above is in the area of the King Fire a few years ago. The ceanothus bushes, a type of wild lilac, proliferate here after a fire.

Still some nice dogwoods at the upper reaches of their range.
DF5DF179-AB55-46EC-BADA-0C64BF35ACCF.jpeg

This was a test run after some projects, including Installing a muffler, bead balancing the tires, replacing the clutch linkage bars with Heim joints, and eliminating a persistent and annoying squeak.

The results were very satisfying all around. This was one of the most pleasant and relaxing drives I’ve had in the wagon. Period.

I should have done that clutch linkage upgrade years ago. Had I done so, my synchros would be in better shape. As it is, it’s still like having a new transmission. I really hadn’t realized how much clutch travel I was losing to flexing and slop in the linkage.

Last edited:
The sky was amazing today, and the rain brought “steam” off the road and the forest.
View attachment 75612

View attachment 75613

View attachment 75614

This was a test run after some projects, including Installing a muffler, bead balancing the tires, replacing the clutch linkage bars with Heim joints, and eliminating a persistent and annoying squeak.

The results were very satisfying all around. This was one of the most pleasant and relaxing drives I’ve had in the wagon. Period.

I should have done that clutch linkage upgrade years ago. Had I done so, my synchros would be in better shape. As it is, it’s still like having a new transmission. I really hadn’t realized how much clutch travel I was losing to flexing and slop in the linkage.
Heim Joints are hard to beat! And the Dogwoods are still in bloom.

I am so envious. So much greenery.

The heim joints are on the to do list.
When I converted my 1 ton Dodge diesel from automatic to an Eaton Fuller 6 speed, I built a pedal assy, that pushed through the floor like the older trucks, with a 7/8' keyed shaft and pillow block bearings, with 3/8" Heim joints on an adjustable link to the big 14" pull clutch. Easy to push and has been trouble free. I wish I had taken more pictures of the build. No good pictures of the linkage.Dodge Eaton 030.jpg

How far away are you two guys from each other?
20-30 miles the way the crow fly's. But with Hwy 49 going down into the canyon and back out. I would guess 50-60 Miles, My wife's Mother still lives in Diamond Springs, and Carter once told me he was near there. As of yet, we haven't met.

Back