Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Looking at a '59 wagon... curious what the consensus may be on what it is worth. I realize it is a loaded, subjective question, but I'm gonna ask anyway... Seller is asking 8k.

Looks decent from the few-low res pics I have received, more on the way in the next day or two. It is 8 hours away, so I can't take it for a spin.

It has a repaint in the woody look, interior looks to be original and nice. Seller claims only minor surface rust on the front floors, tail gate hinge and rear wheel openings aren't an issue. Flathead six rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago, no oil burning or leaks. Supposed to run and drive fine.

I may have a deal put together on my '50 Plymouth, and if that happens, I might make a move to buy a wagon... I'm not looking for a project, and willing to pay for something I can enjoy without putting too much work into it.

Thoughts?

Pete

Attachments

• MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 163
  • 3n23pb3lf5Ta5Pb5S7a286f34569670571e29.jpg
    3n23pb3lf5Ta5Pb5S7a286f34569670571e29.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 3n23m23o45O55S45R3a2886ef4f2acfd41b3d.jpg
    3n23m23o45O55S45R3a2886ef4f2acfd41b3d.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 164
I paid 3500 for a 55 wagon not running and needs paint. No rear seats but otherwise in good shape. No rust. Needs new motor, trans, OD rebuilt. I found another for 6000 that owner states barely runs, original, needs paint. All of this cost major bucks. I would say 8000 for a wagon that runs good, you can drive it home, and looks nice is worth it. It wouldn't hurt to offer $7,000 and see where he counter offers.

It's only money right? If I had only 8k to try to purchase some happiness, The Willys would be on top of the list.

I would offer him 7, but wouldn't let it kill the deal. He will most likely meet you half way, and then you can spend the rest on the wifey for letting you do the deal in the first place. Win/Win :cool:

BioTex said:
...and then you can spend the rest on the wifey for letting you do the deal in the first place. Win/Win :cool:

In this case, the other half will be half the proceeds from selling the Plymouth... I haven't told her yet that I'm spending my half on a Willys... :lol:

Pete

Willysfan said:
Spend the other half of your half on a overdrive.

Yep, that would be first on the list...

Pete

I personally would pass on it, until I could view it personally...$8,000 is a bunch of money and I'm in the belief that it all comes to he who waits....check out ewillys.com push on vehicles - stationwagons Good Luck Pete!

I would also pass on that wagon. I paid $4800.00 for mine on eBay. Fresh amateur restoration, new interior done by previous owner, rebuilt engine with his estimate of about 12,000 miles on the motor and he gave me pics of the restoration from when he found the car up to completion. He even changed the oil and washed it before I came to pick it up!! You can check out my pics in the gallery. I probably added another $500.00 going through the brakes and sorting things out, but you know that unless you buy something new off the showroom floor you need to figure extra cash for things you're going to want to change or repair.

See if the owner has any "wiggle room" on his price. After all---money talks and cash in hand can be tempting. Then there's the "Gotta Have It" side. If YOU think it's worth the price and it will make you happy then so be it. Right now I'm rebuilding a '46 Ford that I bought with my heart and not my head. I've got way more than it's worth invested in it and am too close to getting it on the street to bail. It's that darn Old Car Disease that keeps attacking!!

Good Luck,
Old Willy

jnichols said:
So where in Washington state is it? Anywhere near the Seattle/Tacoma area?
It is in Polouse...

I think it boils down to how bad do you want it, if it's what your looking for and the price is within your reach, get it. You can wait forever for the "perfect" deal.

It's hard to say without seeing it as you say, but I think $8000 would be in the ballpark if it is in good condition. It's a major plus to have the original drivetrain if you ask me, and being that the flathead I6 was just rebuilt, that's also a plus. Most likely it got hardened valve seats, so you won't have to mix Marvel mystery oil in or another additive with your gas. These motors are expensive to extensively rebuild, so if it's already been done that's great.

I'm with everyone else, though. On one hand, you don't see many restored wagons and pickups for sale in good condition like that one seems to be. On the other hand, if you could get it for $7000 that would be a good deal. But bring a creeper as recommended and check it out, but also bring a magnet. Run the magnet along the body and you'll be surprised how well it finds bondo. Definitely check the lower tailgate area and the lower end of the front fenders. If it's full of bondo and isn't in great condition, I'd be prepared to walk away from it. I have a problem with falling in love with things and buying them, but you have to remember there will always be another one. If you're going to pay too much for it, it won't be "the one that got away." :cheers:

To me it sounds like a fair price by looking at the pics. If the originality of the pics carries through to the drive train and engine I thinks it's close to an 8K value. You can look at the 60 wagon (red) in my gallery. I paid 8K for it. It had a factory PTO winch and a warn OD which was a feature I really liked. The seats needed covers and the it needed a new headliner but that was about it. Rust free is also hard to find and it's worth a lot of time and money. The part I liked the most was that I drove it off the trailer and have been hiting the road since. That's worth a lot in my book. I see a lot of our fellow Willysers with pictures in the driveways or garages... that missing half the fun! ...Let's get some action shots in there guys.

Thanks for all the input guys. All of this hinges on the sale of my Plymouth... which may or may not happen. Just need to set the hook, as they say :cool:

MajorTom said:
The part I liked the most was that I drove it off the trailer and have been hiting the road since. That's worth a lot in my book. I see a lot of our fellow Willysers with pictures in the driveways or garages... that missing half the fun! ...Let's get some action shots in there guys.

This is a very important factor to me too, as my life right now is a whirlwind of work and kids. No time to take on a big project, and even less money. Sure I can find a wagon for a grand, but by the time I replace the quarters, floors, brakes, rubber, glass, etc and so forth, I'm going to be in more than 8K. I've spend about twice what my Plymouth will ever be worth, and it took me ten years to get it there. I just want to jump in my wagon and hit the hills, and tinker on little stuff when I can find a few minutes here and there.

I have my fingers crossed for the sale of my Ply, and if all goes well, I'll make an offer on the wagon. :cheers:

Pete

Update, more photos-

Here's a few more photos from the seller... all of the underside. Not sure what I think...

One of the body mounts is rusted off, seller says the rest are fine with only expected surface rust. Not sure how much trouble this would be to fix, but looks problematic for my fab skills. He also says there are two patches in the floor that were done by the previous owner. Sounds like he's never looked underneath before, and everything that was done was by the previous owner...

The engine has been rebuilt, but nothing else has been done to the drive-train. Has about 100k on it. Seller says it will drive 60mph without wandering or darting, drives fine. Of course, his definition of "fine" may be much different than mine.

The rust doesn't look all that bad, but it isn't pristine either. I'm thinking after seeing the bottom side that it isn't worth 8k. Hard to tell how much of a can of worms it is without seeing it in person. Or maybe a can of "tin-worms"...

Thoughts?

Pete

Attachments

• MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 10
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 10
  • MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 10
  • MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-011S.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 10
  • MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 10
  • MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 10
  • MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 10
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 10
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 10
Hey Pete

Those last set of pics tells huge amounts of this wagon/truck. Cab mounts are a pain in the neck to fix. Kinda looks like someone threw a quickie paint job (aka "stuff and buff")on it. $8000.00 is way out to lunch. I bet there is more undercoating on this thing to hide all the patches too....Also nothing is getting good prices anymore. Willys wagons only appeal to a certain group of people. Get his bottom bottom dollar price (how about $5000.00??). Just my 2 cents that all.

Pete,
The round bar is a support bar that comes off the body mount behind the rear wheels and goes out to the side panel as support for the rear bumper corner. There is a carriage bolt at the leading edge of the bumper corner sections to tie the bumper to the panel and then to the frame.
8000K is way too much for the hidden issues with that wagon.

I would agree with an offer of 5k and then have some minor repairs that need to be done.

I have to agree with the others, $8K is far too much considering the amount of rust repair needed. $4K would be high dollar IMHO.

Back