What the heck is this hole for...?!?!

sstach

Sharpest Tool
Mar 11, 2010
Central IL
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Can someone please tell me what this is for? I’m using the hole at the top for thermostat. Not sure I need this one. But I can’t find the right size plug for it. I keep trying, and now I own more brass plugs than I ever wanted! Ha ha. Any ideas? Can someone reassure me what plug will fit, and maybe it’s just dirty threads?
image.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

sstach

Sharpest Tool
Mar 11, 2010
Central IL
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Sorry. Could have been more clear. I’m talking about the threaded hole on the side of the head. Thanks.

Vintage Don

Well Oiled
All-Star
Oct 9, 2017
Medina, Ohio
First Name
Don
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Temp sender, yep. Looks like you've already got the bushing piece in there, so it would probably take the threads of the original style sender, whatever thread size that might be.

sstach

Sharpest Tool
Mar 11, 2010
Central IL
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Thanks. I thought so to, but I can’t get it to go. Plus, it feels like the end of the probe is butting up against something in the head. Could that be possible?

sstach

Sharpest Tool
Mar 11, 2010
Central IL
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I’ve temporarily put the temp sending unit in the hole on the top of the head. But I believe that’s where a valved insert goes? Maybe for a heater?

Big Dog Frank

Well Oiled
Feb 12, 2016
North Lawrence,Ohio
First Name
Frank
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
In my limited experience I found that port to be too shallow for a mechanical gauge sending unit to be inserted. The origional sending units were for electric gauges and were very short.

I do believe the port you are trying to use is where the heater hose would connect. I am not sure how accurate of a reading you would get at that point.

Good luck with your work.

Bill Norris

Sharpest Tool
Jan 31, 2013
Michigan
First Name
Bill
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
As far as I know, the l-heads were all mechanical gages. The sender will bottom out, that’s the way it was designed. It’s not too shallow.

The hole on the top of the head you are referring to is for the valve to turn coolant on for the heater.

Bill

Sam H

Gear Grinder
Feb 20, 2020
Kansas
First Name
Sam
Willys Model
Jeepster
Willys Year:
Can someone please tell me what this is for? I’m using the hole at the top for thermostat. Not sure I need this one. But I can’t find the right size plug for it. I keep trying, and now I own more brass plugs than I ever wanted! Ha ha. Any ideas? Can someone reassure me what plug will fit, and maybe it’s just dirty threads?
View attachment 79556

Thanks in advance!!
Looks like the temp guage hole.

45cj2a

Knuckle Buster
Jun 2, 2017
Waddell,AZ
First Name
Michael
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
Other
View attachment 79556

Thanks in advance!!
If you didn’t remove the sender, the bulb might have broken off and still be in the head.

jde

Gear Grinder
Jul 7, 2020
PA
First Name
John
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
1596285299547.png
My 1947 CJ2A during disassembly. This is where my probe was for the temperature gage. See above distributor.