What is your top speed??

52 wagon

Gear Grinder
Aug 24, 2010
Texas
Willys Model
Willys Year:
So recently my 1952 Wagon has become my daily driver......that's right my daily driver. I commute 30 miles one way to work and my top speed is around 45mph. I have a stock drive line with out an overdrive. What are my option as far getting more out of what I have? I do not want to do a swap but different gears or an overdrive is in my budget. What have you done and are any of you driving your wagons or trucks on a daily bases?

I easily run 55mph with my stock 1960 wagon. I have the Warn OD and I also have 16" wheels with a little higher profile tires than stock. The OD is the key, as many say. it's a must for the wagon and my guess cheaper than re-gearing.

Tom

With 3:73 ratio front and rear and 33's, I easily cruise at 70 MPH. When I was young (and dumb) I had a stock truck with top speed 45. Replace the 4 banger with a 327 V8 and was I surprised. Top speed was still 45 MPH. I just got there a whole lot quicker. Between crosswalks, nobody could catch me.

63 wagon has 4.27 gears, 6-230 OHC engine, no overdrive, it will do 70 pretty well. 52 truck, 5.38 gears would be a 45 MPH truck if left stock.

54 wagon with 226 SUPER HURICANE (I had to do it) :) with overdrive. I cruise it between 55 and 60 comfortably (when it's running) :( It's got 4.88 gearing. I've pushed it past 65 a couple of times without fear, but it's comfortable at that 55-60.
Steve

aquawilly54 said:
54 wagon with 226 SUPER HURICANE (I had to do it) :) with overdrive. I cruise it between 55 and 60 comfortably (when it's running) :( It's got 4.88 gearing. I've pushed it past 65 a couple of times without fear, but it's comfortable at that 55-60.
Steve

SUPER HURRICANE I had to do it too. :lol:

I have 4.27 gears with a 351 V8. Fastest I have had mine up to is rolling backwards out of the driveway with no brakes after I got her home.... :D

Since then the fastest I have been comfortably is as fast as I can push it out of the garage to the 4x6 stopping block.

Back