ndnile

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
First Name
Doug
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Free to good home for anyone on the forum. I will bring it with me up to the Military Vehicle event in Plymouth California (site #224). I'll be there Wednesday till Sunday morning.

Cheers, Doug

Mark L

Gear Grinder
All-Star
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Free to good home for anyone on the forum. I will bring it with me up to the Military Vehicle event in Plymouth California (site #224). I'll be there Wednesday till Sunday morning.

Cheers, Doug
Doug,
I would like to provide that “Good Home”. I need a transmission/transfer case X-member for my 48 Willys Pickup. Mine is 4WD and the existing one is severely bent, particularly the left side. I don’t know if 2wd models are the same, but even if some of the drilling is different, I can make the modifications using my old one as a pattern.

You state your location as Northern CA, and I’m in Walnut Creek and frequently travel to Chico. Are you anywhere in between? If not, I can make a foray up to Plymouth and I’ll look up the event that you will be attending. Last time I was through Plymouth, it seemed to me to be small enough that you could just pull into a service station and say “is there a car show focused on Military vehicles?” And get an answer a decent directions. BTW, what time would you be at the show on Wednesday AM?

ndnile

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
First Name
Doug
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Mark,

This is from a 4WD wagon. I don't know about compatibility with the truck. Hopefully it is a match. Up to you to figure that out.

You won't have trouble finding the venue. It is the largest gathering of MV's west of the Mississippi and runs for most of a week. Big event. Small town. You get it. If nothing else, follow the half track.

If you will absolutely commit to this, and going to the event is not convenient, we can talk about me keeping it at my house. I live about 30 mins east of Sacramento. I do need to unload it though. I need to find more of my garage floor.

Mark L

Gear Grinder
All-Star
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Mark,

This is from a 4WD wagon. I don't know about compatibility with the truck. Hopefully it is a match. Up to you to figure that out.

You won't have trouble finding the venue. It is the largest gathering of MV's west of the Mississippi and runs for most of a week. Big event. Small town. You get it. If nothing else, follow the half track.

If you will absolutely commit to this, and going to the event is not convenient, we can talk about me keeping it at my house. I live about 30 mins east of Sacramento. I do need to unload it though. I need to find more of my garage floor.
Doug,
I think picking it up from you directly would be easiest for me and if you were going to be around Tuesday, midday, I’d like to pick it up then. If not, some time of your choosing the following week. I’m too computer illiterate to figure out how to turn this into a Private Message, but you can reply to my personal Email address: markl67577@aol.com and we can continue the conversation from there. If you live 30 minutes east of Sacto, I’m figuring Placerville or Folsom or the like. All of which I could get to handily. Being a retired guy, week-days are actually my preference. But your call. Once you send me a PM, I’ll give you my cell phone which I would have w/ me if I was driving to your residence. One final note: now that I know you pulled this from a 4WD I’m almost certain it will fit. As a check, measuring end to end on the X-member, I get 40-3/4”.

ndnile

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
First Name
Doug
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Doug,
I think picking it up from you directly would be easiest for me and if you were going to be around Tuesday, midday, I’d like to pick it up then. If not, some time of your choosing the following week. I’m too computer illiterate to figure out how to turn this into a Private Message, but you can reply to my personal Email address: markl67577@aol.com and we can continue the conversation from there. If you live 30 minutes east of Sacto, I’m figuring Placerville or Folsom or the like. All of which I could get to handily. Being a retired guy, week-days are actually my preference. But your call. Once you send me a PM, I’ll give you my cell phone which I would have w/ me if I was driving to your residence. One final note: now that I know you pulled this from a 4WD I’m almost certain it will fit. As a check, measuring end to end on the X-member, I get 40-3/4”.
Measurement of my Wagon x-member is 42 3/8 long and 4 1/2 wide.

Email sent. Cheers, Doug

ndnile

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
First Name
Doug
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Mark and I came to the conclusion that truck and wagon tranny cross members are different. This is for a 4WD wagon and still available.

First Name
Greg
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Mark and I came to the conclusion that truck and wagon tranny cross members are different. This is for a 4WD wagon and still available.
They are not different at all. The difference is that 4 cyl and 6 cyl are different but not between wagon and pickup. And 2wd is not anywhere the same either. And some CJ crossmembers look similar but not right.

FYI I have straightened a lot of crossmembers with a vise, big hammer, pipe wrench and heat. It's not that hard.
diggerG

Mark L

Gear Grinder
All-Star
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
They are not different at all. The difference is that 4 cyl and 6 cyl are different but not between wagon and pickup. And 2wd is not anywhere the same either. And some CJ crossmembers look similar but not right.

FYI I have straightened a lot of crossmembers with a vise, big hammer, pipe wrench and heat. It's not that hard.
diggerG
Greg (DiggerG),
Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but I’m wondering if you have any X-members out where it would be easy to measure them. I find it hard to believe that Willys would have changed the width of the frame over the years, but maybe that is the explanation. My 48 PU has a X-member that ran from Out to Out Plus the width of the tabs(2) that hang down from the bracket that it bolts to. I’d measure the width of my bare frame but it is about 155 miles away hanging from the rafters in my garage in Chico CA. But I do have the original X-member here in Walnut Creek plus another I scrounged from another, year unknown. They both measure 40-3/4” in length, and like Doug’s, the width were it bolts to the bracket is 4-1/2”. More towards the center where the edges are turned out to form a flange on both sides, the width is more like 5-5/8”. If you don’t mind, what sort of length does the X-member measure on any examples you have on hand?

First Name
Greg
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
THe 4 cyl. is about 41" and the 6 cyl is about 42 1/2" That's total length of the crossmember. The 6 cyl. one has extra holes that look like they would match up to the 4 cyl. frame holes. Without both frames in front of me it would be hard to guess what would cross over. and what years if any.
diggerG