Vintage Willys pictures

Yeah, I think you're right. It's definitely the low roof and not the tall one. It's also missing the chrome side trim which the Travellers had. Maybe it's a Parkway Conversion... or something else.

I'd love to see those dealer docs... there seem to be a few special order wagons in the 60s that are factory wagons modified at the factory with the barn doors of the Delivery.

Good catch!
The old dealer guy ,Louie Larson, owned Willys Minneapolis in Farmington Minn. He had owned Park Jeep for a long time and retired. Really nice guy with lots of stories. I lived about 10 miles from him back then. When I first showed him my wagon he thought is was a regular panel wagon someone put windows in. On a latter visit he said he was looking at old "micro fische" (spelling?) records he had as a dealer and found that mine was from a forest service contract back then. I never thought to get copies (not much interest in these back then). He sold his business and retired again. I tried to contact Willys Minneapolis (was still operating then) but they never answered me about the files. I thought many times about those records, what if...... I guess we will have to keep looking for info, someone else may have those records also.

Here are some great ones of the Kilauea volcano eruption of 1960:

(There seems to be four Willys in this picture.)
Extinct%20Kilauea%20Village.jpg

From the H.A.M.B.

2 wagons....1 truck ...1 regular jeep...

And very possibly a Fifth....

extreme right hand lower corner .. tan colored vehicle partially obscured the tree....could be another wagon ...or not .... cant really tell from angle has both upper liftgate / lower tailgates open....

Larry

Louie's nephew is still very active in Jeeps and is a great guy and a great resource.
I spoke to Louie about old records, and I spoke to Ray Cowdery and Merrill Madsen, the 2 previous owners of Willys Minneapolis and they denied ever having any records like that. There are however several hundred thousand pages of Willys records in the hands of a few dozen collectors, so I believe an answer is out there.

Last edited:
The photos of the pink surrey a few posts back were used on a postcard. It wasn't until today I realized it was photographed at the Punchbowl on Oahu. It is the National Cemetery of the Pacific in Nuuanu HI. I was there in April.

Keith,
This is from National Service Data, 1961:

NSD 1961.JPG

I've come to suspect "El Goucho", shown under 1959
"475 2x4 El Goucho 58547 10001 10003 3**"
on Nort Young's list, might be this Willys-built four door type (produced specifically for Henry Kaiser):

1602631357995.png

http://www.ewillys.com/2019/02/05/four-door-wagon-dayton-va-ebay/

1602631519214.png

See also 21:27 into the first of the two videos here:
https://www.oldwillysforum.com/foru...-the-spring-2014-midwest-willys-reunion.7687/

Now that you mention it though, "El Gaucho" does also sound familiar as having been a moniker for a specially-optioned J-Series.

Last edited:
I'm missing 1958 and 1959, but here is a bad copy of 1960.
MS= Maverick Special 58147-12655 and up CALENDAR YEAR 1960
EG= El Goucho 58547-1004 and up CALENDAR YEAR 1960

1960 Jeep Model ID -MS Maverick EG El Goucho--.jpg

Last edited:
Back