Vintage Willys pictures

Look at the wagon down at the end of the row of used cars. I guess the former owner preferred the styling of the new 1959 Ramblers. Yikes!

tumblr_pokys9TpvA1qcdxvpo1_1280.jpg

Look at the wagon down at the end of the row of used cars. I guess the former owner preferred the styling of the new 1959 Ramblers. Yikes!

Looks like a Willys and Rambler dealer. Sign at the end is a Willys sign, an FC and a CJ next to the wagon. Wow, that sign would look awesome bolted to the side of my house....

Boy, seeing those desert rats jeeps loaded with Jerry cans and machine guns and knowing bullets were going both ways.

Some of those cans were full of water. Some of them gasoline. Those tough desert rats needed both to just survive the climate, Let alone Rommel. Those guys fought in some ugly conditions. Hats off to them, and there little 1/4 tn mules.

I like the Napco in the lineup in the last picture. Although I dont know when GM started doing their own 4X4s. I havent seen those wagons before. Anyone recognize them? What is on the hood on all of them? Looks like spilled paint on each one.

When I was a kid in the ‘60s we got a used light green Rambler American sedan like the red one in the left part of the showroom. It was a pretty sad little car, especially since it replaced a very nice 1952 Ford Customline 2-door. Even as a little kid I hoped to have that Ford someday and was very upset when it got traded in for the Rambler.

Lew/lbpa18: "I like the Napco in the lineup in the last picture. Although I dont know when GM started doing their own 4X4s. I havent seen those wagons before. Anyone recognize them? What is on the hood on all of them? Looks like spilled paint on each one."

Vintage Willys pics - southwest.jpg

I stumbled upon the motherload of images related to this group, the Davis County (Utah) Jeep Patrol.

A participant on the North American XJ Association's web site, Ryan Ward/DrMoab, is the son of a guy who was a member of the patrol. Ryan posted the collection of images -- some related to the DCJP, and some great old Utah/southwestern US Jeeping images that I'm guessing are from his family's photo archives -- on photobucket.

I'll trickle these out a few at a time...

Ryan's dad:

dad2.jpg
oldjeeppics105.jpg
alicelk-65-12.jpg
oldjeeppics058.jpg
oldjeeppics059.jpgoldjeeppics130.jpg

Last edited:
I turned up this 2006 thread from Ryan Ward on the naxja.org forum this morning: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80684

The images in my post above show just a few of the Ward family photos. The full collection includes pictures of vehicles and members of the Davis County Jeep Patrol and of the Ward family's camping, fishing and hunting activities. These were almost certainly previously embedded under those captions.

Now nothing but a collection of captions, text exchanges and broken image links remains. The horror...

Ryan's imageless thread is still a great read.

In his launching post, Ryan laments that a previous post with these images "is gone". His replacement post is now also disintegrating.

Gosh, I wish those captions could be reunited with their corresponding pictures.

Some folks who participated in that thread brought up the subject of the frailty of old family photo albums and collections. The photos are great, but the value added by the telling of the story behind them is immeasurable.

(There is a lesson here: find a way to truly preserve your family's history for future generations.)

With that, I offer you a treasure map:

Here's a link to Ryan's photobucket page where you'll find the full collection of images:
https://s58.photobucket.com/user/DrMoab/library/Newfoundlands?page=1

If you scroll down through the albums on the left side to those titled "New Old Jeep Pics" and "Old Jeep Pics", over 90 high-resolution images are accessible.

If any of you other folks are up to the challenge, let's work together and see how many we can re-associate with their corresponding captions.

Here's a "teaser" to get us started:

Caption:
"Bear in Yellowstone."

I'm thinking:

bear.jpg

Last edited:
Back