Bigger Hammer
Jul 20, 2017
Virginia Beach
First Name
Joel
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Hey, I'm about to purchase a retomod 1963 Wagon and would like to know if anyone has put a vintage air air conditioning/heat/defrost system in a wagon. If so, what unit did you install? I'm in Virginia Beach and it's 105 deg! Gotta get an a/c system. The wagon has a crate 350 in it so mechanically, it should be easy. I just don't know what unit will fit under the dash. I'd like to get the biggest one possible (Gen IV Magnum) or the Gen II Super. The bigger the better. Thanks.

Joel

Pete

Founder/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
We used the Gen II Supercooler in my son's wagon. It's a tight fit, but it works. There isn't any way to get your hand up behind or above the unit once it is in place, so if the windshield wiper cable breaks or derails, it's a pain to fix... I think the unit that is one size smaller would be a better fit, and would probably work just as well.

Pete

Furious

Bigger Hammer
Jul 20, 2017
Virginia Beach
First Name
Joel
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Thanks Pete. Do you have any other pics? Did you have to do any modifications/cutting to the bulkhead? Also, does it provide enough cooling for the Wagon? I realize it's never going to get "cold".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete

Founder/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Thanks Pete. Do you have any other pics? Did you have to do any modifications/cutting to the bulkhead? Also, does it provide enough cooling for the Wagon? I realize it's never going to get "cold".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel-

Take a spin through Joseph's build thread: http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2989-Joseph-s-51-Wagon-Build
There are a bunch of pics in there.
We don't have the AC connected yet, so I can't tell you how well it will cool. The heater is awesome though...

Pete

germain

Precision Fit
Nov 30, 2009
Bartonville, TX
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Gen II Super, pics in my gallery. Cools well here in Dallas, but does put load on radiator. Use high cfm fans.