vent problem...

mringg

Gear Grinder
Mar 2, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
ok guys....61 woody. Haven't had it long. The little vent in front of the windshield doesn't go up. Is there a handle or something under the dash that i'm missing? Do I need to spray it with wd40 or something? I can pull it up with my fingers from the outside....but it pulls itself back down....any thoughts?

Mike,
If you haven't seen the handle, chances are it's just missing. Climb under the dash and you'll see a bracket with a curved groove machined in to it. In that groove rides a rod which connects to the handle. The rod is the resistance you feel when raising the vent. When you push the handle all the forward, it will point directly down at the floor and that rod holds things in place. I'll try to get a picture in here later.
Steve

I think I have a spare handle you can have. Will have to check tonight. I know I have an extra vent, but don't remember if it has a handle attached.

BioTex said:
I think I have a spare handle you can have. Will have to check tonight. I know I have an extra vent, but don't remember if it has a handle attached.

Hell-o Mike.....
If BioTex can't fine a handle I'll look to see if I have one.

Thanks bio, and anyone else that comes up with that handle. It's just not there. I've been under the dash several times. There's a choke pull that goes into a sleeve under the dash...and there's that curved rod you talk about.....but no handle. I really can't see how it's mounted....but I'll research it a bit more in some willys stuff i've got....
it's nice to know there's some help out there. This six cyl. runs fine. had to replace the master cylinder....and front wheel cylinders....and now i've got brakes too!! (smile) fixed all the lights...brake lights, turn signals, and even the license plate light....next is a new muffler, and I should have it inspected and on the road.
I could use that handle though....i'd pay for it too. As it's going to get might hot here in Texas in another couple of months. I'll need that vent working.....! Thanks again for ya'lls help.
Mike

reading your replies once again.......aquawilly, i could sure use that photo, if you can manage it...?

Back