May 19, 2020
N. California
First Name
Keith
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
If you have followed my build you k ow that I did a road trip from N. California to Illinois to help my buddy rewire his ‘55 Chevy.

My buddy bought the ‘55 Chevy about three years ago. He’s been driving it and I know he’s driven it hard a few times. He shattered a throw out bearing which was in little pieces if than says anything.

The ‘55 has a big block Chevy that I’m sure has close to 600 horse power.

To get to the purpose of the post. I was all over and under this car for 10 days. I was looking over the seat and seatbelt attachments. I found that the seats were mounted to a metal pedestal. The pedestal was mounted to the floor with grade 5 3/8” bolts with standard size washers which isn’t all bad. The bad part was that the seat belts were bolted to the pedestal just below the seats. If he had been involved in an accident the way it was the force would have ripped the pedestal out of the floor. You can picture what would have happened to him.

If you buy a vehicle or even build one have someone inspect it for these kind of safety issues. The fix for his car was pretty simple.

A4D89D12-A4F1-4A0E-9121-51B3B855C5A0.jpeg5C674019-F103-42F7-A4BD-8AAD7C605123.jpeg

timd32

Precision Fit
All-Star
Jan 4, 2020
NJ
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
I've had two very professional builder friends mess up the steering column set up and lost the linkage on maiden voyage, one was a very custom Nash, other was a full size really nice Dodge 2500.

Luckily no issues or damages to either but both were pretty hairy events when they lost all steering.

I think its a great suggestion to have a second set of eyes look things over.

5JeepsAz

Bigger Hammer
May 10, 2021
Arizona
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
For general info purposes my 1964 J series truck body was lap belt ready even without belts from factory installed (an option then?). a great relief to find