Sep 12, 2020
Highland, Illinois
First Name
Robert
Willys Model
  1. Aero
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
Looking for information on converting to modern style universal joints (Spicer?) from whatever Willys used in the early 50's. I have a driveline vibration that I am pretty sure is associated with the original 'joints'.

I have heard there is a conversion kit made to switch the joints to a more conventional universal joint. Anyone have any information on where to buy the kit. and (or) any experience with it?

Thanks, Bob

peashooter

Bigger Hammer
Apr 14, 2013
ca
First Name
kevin
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Try willysamerica.com. I bought their replacement for the Jeepster drive shaft.

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
The hardest part to get is the Spicer Yoke for the trans. You probably have the Warner T96, right? I just sold a set to a Jeepster guy. 2 Spicer ends and 2 yokes and you can make a driveshaft up because your needed length is probably unique.
diggerG

pav1

Sharpest Tool
Sep 5, 2017
Georgetown Ontario
First Name
Jason
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1948

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
Actually the Warner trans (Spicer) yoke is different from the Spicer rear to Spicer Ujoint.
diggerG

pav1

Sharpest Tool
Sep 5, 2017
Georgetown Ontario
First Name
Jason
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Actually the Warner trans (Spicer) yoke is different from the Spicer rear to Spicer Ujoint.
diggerG
sorry but I am confused. Specifically what yoke are you referring to? I thought you meant the one on the transmission.

Rastus

Bigger Hammer
May 17, 2015
Queensland AU
First Name
John
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
Looking for information on converting to modern style universal joints (Spicer?) from whatever Willys used in the early 50's. I have a driveline vibration that I am pretty sure is associated with the original 'joints'.

I have heard there is a conversion kit made to switch the joints to a more conventional universal joint. Anyone have any information on where to buy the kit. and (or) any experience with it?

Thanks, Bob
Diagnose first would be my recommendation.
This can primarily done while the driveshaft is still on the vehicle by feel.
If the shaft is removed it is much easier ~ there should be no movement in the cross in unworn UJ's & no roughness when rotating the UJ's through all possible arc's of movement.
Then one would perhaps start spending money.

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
sorry but I am confused. Specifically what yoke are you referring to? I thought you meant the one on the transmission.

Read my post again. you seem to be correct. the Warner (Trans) yoke to Spicer Ujoint looks the same but is not, as the Spicer rear axle to Spicer UJoint yoke. If you have both driveshaft ends with that slip joint and want the 2 of the Spicer cross shaft Ujoints you need 2 different yokes. the 2 are not the same although they look the same. I just went through this for a Jeepster customer. I assume the Jeepster will have the same drive line components as the Willys Aero. Spicer rear and Warner trans.
diggerG

MarkH

Bigger Hammer
Mar 5, 2018
Illinois
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
  1. Aero
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
I converted my Aero. Here's the drive shaft part numbers for cross U-joints. There was no cross joint yoke with a flange that matches the factory Aero flanges, but there are cross yokes that matched the trans & differential. Once installed, the new shaft length was measured. All Spicer part numbers.
Transmission yoke 2-4-3701-1
Differential yoke 2-4-2821-1X
Slip yoke 2-3-8021KX
Slip tube shaft 2-40-2231
Tube yoke 2-28-437
Tubing 24-30-42-10800-IN (cut to 43in)
U-joints 5-153X (x2)
Bearing strap kit 2-70-18X (x2)

Attachments

• 2018-08-18-17h31m01.JPG
    2018-08-18-17h31m01.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2018-08-22-14h59m00.JPG
    2018-08-22-14h59m00.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 6

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Carter
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Interesting, the old driveline appears to have ball and trunnion joints. My first car, a ‘64 Plymouth Valiant, had one of those.

MarkH

Bigger Hammer
Mar 5, 2018
Illinois
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
  1. Aero
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
Yes, Mopar guys have the same issues, parts availability & finding someone that can do vibration free work. Seems a lot of Mopar guys convert to cross joints, but the shop that did my work was rebuilding a Mopar shaft with NOS trunnion parts they had.
My trunnions were still good but the rubber boots were stiff & cracked, so I decided to convert to a common U-joint while all the parts were still available.

pav1

Sharpest Tool
Sep 5, 2017
Georgetown Ontario
First Name
Jason
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Thank you sooooooo much for posting this!!!

I am going to swap out my rear axle and needed to convert the driveshaft to regular u joints and you just made my life a whole lot easier.

Thank you :)

MarkH

Bigger Hammer
Mar 5, 2018
Illinois
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
  1. Aero
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
Keep in mind these flanges are for an Aero. Can't say they'd fit another Willys unless it has the same trans & diff. The key for me was bringing my OEM trans & diff flanges into a dedicated driveshaft shop. They guy measured every aspect, then flipped through a Spicer book as big as a family bible to find yoke type matches. The new diff yoke even has the same dust cup/slinger that the OEM flange type had. Once he had those yokes (easy to find), everything else was common parts. They built & balanced.....runs smooth.