Nov 21, 2016
United Kingdom
First Name
Riekus
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Hi guys, I know there's been countless discussions about wheel sizes on here and I've been trying to find the answer to my question in all related threads but it's beginning to turn into my slow decent into madness!

Now here's the thing, I bought a '62 Wagon recently (dream car for over a decade) which has a 283 sat in the engine bay almost ready to go, the Wagon came with a disc brake kit which I want to throw on there but I hear without spacers my 15" wheels won't fit over them. I'd rather get larger 16" wheels to go on there than spacers and it means I can get an ever so slightly higher top speed with its original T90 with larger tires which to me looks a little "cooler", whats unique about this I here you ask? Well I'm a 19 year old student living in the UK where there is 0% culture in Willys anything, apart from a little bit of WWII MB stuff and there's a small selection of WWII MB parts suppliers (mainly from Europe) which have 16" wheels, and I also happen to have a contact with a Willys Jeep friend who can help with parts (not local).

I'm wondering firstly if the MB wheels will fit on my Wagon, I believe the Wagons PCD is 5x5.5? I'm having a hard time finding the MB's PCD, and do bear in mind I'm looking at what seems to be reproduction welding rims, not the original combat wheels (see picture). Also am I right in think that 16" will clear the disc brake kit? And will 16" rims with BFG Mud Terrains KM2 fit in my rear arch...I'm pretty sure it will but I'd just like confirmation!

Any picture of Wagons with 16" rims would be fantastic as well just so I can see how it looks particularly in the rear! Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_3264.jpg
    IMG_3264.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 12.17.10.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 12.17.10.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 34
Clear my confusion, are you looking for aftermarket rims for bigger tires (That's what I have on my 62 wagon-check out my gallery), or the more original looking and hard to find 16" Willys/Jeep rims?

I'm basically looking for Steel Wheels that'll cover the disc and calliper, though I'd like to avoid shipping from the States because 5 brand new Steelies + Shipping will be eye watering to my student micro budget, or at least put a big fat dent in it. I've noticed for me it's almost easier to get reproduction Willys MB Wheels here in Europe which are 16x4.5 so I'm wondering if those will clear the brakes up front...if it does it's good because 16" will hopefully benefit speed slightly. Sorry for the confusion and that's one sweet Wagon you got!!

Not all disc brakes are the same diameter. I'm using 1/2 ton Chevy truck discs with 17" wheels. Maybe 16s would have fit.

I've noticed for me it's almost easier to get reproduction Willys MB Wheels here in Europe which are 16x4.5 so I'm wondering if those will clear the brakes up front...
The problem with the MB rims and any from a post-war CJ is that 4.5" width measurement. There are very few, VERY FEW radial tires available that are rated for such a narrow rim. There are a few bias ply tires that will work. At a price.
I bought 16" x 6" rims for my Wagon so that I'd have more choices on tires. I got them used from a vendor in the US which, of course, doesn't help you at all.
I've read that there are a few Ford (and perhaps Scout) rims with a large center hole that will fit onto a Willys hub. The offset is apparently the same so they'll work without modification.
The odds are good that any 16" rim you can find that will fit your hubs will clear disc brakes. Perhaps a little grinding here and there for clearance.
Read everything you can find on this forum about disc brake conversions to get a full perspective on the problem.

Riekus
There is more to this than said so far. Jeep and Scout did use 15" disc brake wheels, I think 15" x 5 1/2 or 6". They were used in the 1970's and had a disc brake rim stamping, different from that of an earlier wheel. They were also safety bead. It's hard to describe. I'll look for one if possible and take a pic. And John's 16 x 6" wheels worked because of being an inch bigger, the calipers fit inside, and were 6" bead to bead as he said.
diggerG

Back