Feb 20, 2013
San Jose, Ca
First Name
Thane
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
Hey, I'm new to the forum. I'm finishing up my first Willys, a '53 truck. I've been looking at tires for a while now and haven't quite found anything I really like. This truck will be my new daily driver. I love the look of a bias ply tire but would rather have a radial. I have run bias on my current daily for 6 years and I'm ready for a change. If anyone knows of a radial that looks like an old bias truck tire, I would appreciate some info and/or pictures. Thanks!

mathman

Well Oiled
Mar 14, 2012
AR
First Name
David
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
  2. Forward Control
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
  2. 1964
Are you keeping the factory rims?

Johnny Mac

Precision Fit
Dec 17, 2012
Castro Valley, Ca.
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1956
Hey Thane, welcome to the forum!
Scramboleer and I both live in the Bay Area. We'll have to get together someday. You are a little ahead of me in my build, but I am planning on doing 295x75R17's. I have a set of moon's on order with Stockton Wheel right now. I went with 17's because 33's on a 15" wheel feel a little too marshmellowy to me. Just personal preference though. I'm sure you will love it no matter what.
Cheers!
Johnny Mac

scramboleer

Super Moderator
Staff member
All-Star
Aug 16, 2011
San Francisco, California
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
Welcome Thanergerous,

As Johnny Mac said, there are a few of us in the Bay Area - a handful in the East Bay and down the Peninsula. Are you running 16" wheels or 15"? I thought the Willys trucks came with 16" and most wagons were 15", but that's only one point to consider. I had OEM-type tires (with tubes) on my '30 Model A. While they were period-correct and looked great, IMO you just can't go wrong with modern tubeless radial tires. To each their own!

Cheers and welcome.

Scramboleer (one of the many Dans)

johnrb3b

No such thing as too many Jeeps
May 19, 2011
west suburbs of Chicago
First Name
John
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
I'm going through the same process of deciding on tires for my '57 Wagon.
Here's the results so far:
http://home.comcast.net/~jrburch_h/jeep/wagon/wagon.html
Scroll about a third of the way down the page and you'll see a bunch of tire pictures.

I think I'll go for the Falkens.
The thing you need to know is that none of these tires are rated for rims narrower than 6" - most of them want 7".
I got a set of 16" x 6" steel rims from Harry Sheets at Midwest Willys. Keeps the original look.

gpzkat

Sharpest Tool
Sep 5, 2012
Southern California
First Name
Tom
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
I put a set of 16x7 Cragar D window wheels on my wagon, and for tires went with Hankook Dynapro ATM in 215/85R16 size. I am very happy with them, not too aggressive but decent for off-road, and not noisy on road. Price was about 170 each, installed.