May 12, 2023
Oak Ridge, TN
First Name
Dennis
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
It's looking like I'll need to tow my Jeep truck project to my garage/home. The owner's manual says it's ok to tow a 4WD model forward as long as the transmission and transfer case are in neutral. We only need to tow the truck about a mile. My question is about backing it into my garage when I get it here. Once we get it to the house the wrecker will need to back it into my driveway and into the garage which would be maybe 125-150 feet. As long as we tow it forward to get it here, is it ok to back it up that short distance as long as everything is in neutral..? And I've got the overdrive...should that shifter need to be in the "disengaged", or rear position..? Appreciate any help..?

Last edited:
So many wreckers now use tilt-beds and just carry the vehicle. That would make it easy. Is that an option for you? They could roll it off the back right into your garage.

But yeah, towing and backing those short distances would be fine as far as your rig is concerned. Just be sure there is gear oil in the diffs and the trans and transfer case.

The overdrive would be indifferent.

Yes it is fine to back the truck up into the shop. I do it all the time.

I recommend that you tow the truck with the transfer case in hi 2WD & the transmission in neutral. This gets the gear lube thrown up to lubricate the gear boxes bearings lubricated. Some folks have had issues when they tow their Willys with the transfer case in neutral. As always, YMMV.

Thanks for the prompt reply Lookout...The local towing service I've used a few times has a rollback, but they like to use the drag truck when they can..not less work for them. They told me it would be ok to pull it as long as it will roll, but I'd hate to bust or break something that would hard to replace or fix...thanks again..!

I recommend that you tow the truck with the transfer case in hi 2WD & the transmission in neutral. This gets the gear lube thrown up to lubricate the gear boxes bearings lubricated. Some folks have had issues when they tow their Willys with the transfer case in neutral. As always, YMMV.
Good way to burn up the tranny, shift the transfer-case in n, and put the transmission in gear, that way the trany does not turn, only the lower shaft in the transfer turns and that is under the lub oil, i have seen many tranys burnt up between the input and output shafts doing it your way, also have the jeep in 2wd...Phil

I have a custom tow-bar & bumper bolted to my 1949 Willys wagon 4x4. Emergency brake off, Just make sure your Manual Transmission in in neutral, use 2WD high range, & make sure your lockout hubs are dialed out. I also hookup a pair of magnetic towing lights & use a bar of soap & write TOW on the back window. I have towed mine several times, 35-40 miles with no problems. I don't exceed 55 MPH while towing. This works for me.
Any Automatic Transmission = Never try to tow it. A/T will be ruined, burned up. Good luck to you.

Attachments

• Willys towing.jpg
    Willys towing.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I have a custom tow-bar & bumper bolted to my 1949 Willys wagon 4x4. Emergency brake off, Just make sure your Manual Transmission in in neutral, use 2WD high range, & make sure your lockout hubs are dialed out. I also hookup a pair of magnetic towing lights & use a bar of soap & write TOW on the back window. I have towed mine several times, 35-40 miles with no problems. I don't exceed 55 MPH while towing. This works for me.
Any Automatic Transmission = Never try to tow it. A/T will be ruined, burned up. Good luck to you.
Sgt, think this thru, with the transfer in 2wd high the gears are spinning in the TC, with the transmission in nut. the output shaft is spinning in the trany, But the input shaft and cluster are not because the engine is not turning. If the cluster gear is not spinning there will be No oil pumped into the bearing between the input and output shaft of the transmission and after what oil is used up in there the transmission will burn up in the bearing between the input and output shafts, I have seen this many times. When you tow a jeep put the trany in gear so it will not turn and the transfer-case in 2wd, nut. You might get away with your set up if you are lucky for short trips but most will not ...Phil

I agree that pulling the drive shaft is cheap insurance. If you pull the drive shaft you can still move the rig under it's own power by slicking it into 4WD. If I were paranoid about this, I would pull the drive shaft.

I towed my '48 pickup from west of Portland Oregon to Just south of Grand Junction Colorado, over 1300 miles with the TC in 2WD high range & the transmission in neutral. Two weeks later I drove the same pickup back to Oregon to pick up more of my motorcycles. It did fine. OD helps a lot for highway use.

Of course, YMMV.

If I am towing the rig one mile or so, I use a chain & a friend. Much cheaper than a tow truck. Unless it is my pickup, it also has a "custom made" tow bar attached to the front bumper. No chain or friend needed for it. Heck, I once used my pickup & the tow bar to push my brother & his pickup home when he blow up his engine many miles from home.

As far as towing automatic transmission-ed rigs, I agree, do not tow them with the drive shaft(s) attached. There were/are some older vehicles that had a rear pump in the automatic. These rigs could be towed a short, (35 mile), distance & it would be OK. However, the rear pump disappeared in about 1960 or so. As easy as it is to remove the drive shaft, I would just remove it & not worry about burning the transmission up. Better yet, use a trailer. This will give you trailer brakes, which is nice in the mountains. Renting a trailer is much cheaper than a transmission rebuild. Trust me on this.

Decided to go with the rollback...I put the transmission and transfer case in neutral and it rolled right up on the tow truck. The truck driver turned out to one of the good guys. His help in making sure everything went smoothly was immensely appreciated. Got the old truck tucked away in the garage this morning and removed the bed rack/sideboards this afternoon. Whoever made this rack knew what they were doing..!
If it's allowed in this forum, could anybody recommend some parts vendors or specialty shops that deal in parts for these older Jeeps..? I've been looking at the Kaiser-Willys site but didn't know if there might be other vendors that members used in case one or the other vendors might be out of stock or don't stock all parts.
I appreciate the help and the replies to my posts since I've joined the site, thanks..!
29C51F8B-8910-44E0-92AA-C9BC37DFADA7_1_105_c.jpeg

Decided to go with the rollback...I put the transmission and transfer case in neutral and it rolled right up on the tow truck. The truck driver turned out to one of the good guys. His help in making sure everything went smoothly was immensely appreciated. Got the old truck tucked away in the garage this morning and removed the bed rack/sideboards this afternoon. Whoever made this rack knew what they were doing..!
If it's allowed in this forum, could anybody recommend some parts vendors or specialty shops that deal in parts for these older Jeeps..? I've been looking at the Kaiser-Willys site but didn't know if there might be other vendors that members used in case one or the other vendors might be out of stock or don't stock all parts.
I appreciate the help and the replies to my posts since I've joined the site, thanks..!
View attachment 142669
Congrats. Here are some parts places for starters:

1. Midwest Willys
2. Willys America
3. Willys Truck Warehouse
4. The Jeepsterman
5. Montana Overland
6. Kaiser Willys

And some even give a discount if you are an Old Willys Forum “All Star”:

Nope transfer case in neutral. Your method spins the rear transmission bearing, a big no no. in neutral the transfer case slider sloshes the oil around where it is necessary.
diggerG

Congrats. Here are some parts places for starters:

1. Midwest Willys
2. Willys America
3. Willys Truck Warehouse
4. The Jeepsterman
5. Montana Overland
6. Kaiser Willys

And some even give a discount if you are an Old Willys Forum “All Star”:

@63JeepTruck – From the above list, the suppliers of new reproduction parts are Kaiser-Willys, The Jeepsterman and Willys America. The others sell salvaged used parts. Both types of parts are usually needed at some point. Note that Willys America also can be a source for some used parts, like doors and seat frames, but they’re primarily a source of new parts.

Also note that many parts are available from your local auto parts store or from RockAuto.com. This is especially true for things like bearings, seals, oil filters, shocks, brake shoes, etc.

eBay and Amazon can also be good sources occasionally, as well as SummitRacing.com and some of the other online off-road vendors. I’ve had good experiences with nearly all these vendors over the years.

@63JeepTruck – From the above list, the suppliers of new reproduction parts are Kaiser-Willys, The Jeepsterman and Willys America. The others sell salvaged used parts. Both types of parts are usually needed at some point. Note that Willys America also can be a source for some used parts, like doors and seat frames, but they’re primarily a source of new parts.

Also note that many parts are available from your local auto parts store or from RockAuto.com. This is especially true for things like bearings, seals, oil filters, shocks, brake shoes, etc.

eBay and Amazon can also be good sources occasionally, as well as SummitRacing.com and some of the other online off-road vendors. I’ve had good experiences with nearly all these vendors over the years.
I agree. My NAPA had all the brake parts my '57 stakebed needed.

I’m reading conflicting information here on flat towing our Willys 4x4’s.
Who’s correct?
Over my years using a tow bar I always put transmission and transfer case in neutral.
Seems to me since the xfer case outputs are below the filler level the bearings and shaft are fully rotating in the gear lube when towing. So what’s the harm with neutral?
What damage may I have caused, or not?

Thanks Lookout...first thing I need to do is clean the gas tank and fuel lines. Then check out the breather and carburator. The previous owner gave me a "new in the box" fuel pump, but it was bought in 2013 and never installed. I would hope that it's still good, but I'm not sure if it has internal seals or other internal parts that could have gone bad over time. It's been stored in the box in the cab of the truck since it was bought. It looks brand new, so if I need it, I hope it's good to use. BTW Stakebed, a lot of the parts I got with the truck came from our local NAPA store. He ad an extra set of rod bearings, ignition parts, the fuel pump, and other parts still in the boxes. Not sure if all the parts are still good, but it was cool just looking through all the old boxes. And I sure didn't know Sherwin-Williams mixed automotive paint..! I don't know what all these parts are so please pass on any information you might have on these parts. Some are obvious (bearings, etc), but I have no idea on the others.
I hope I don't have to remove the tank, but in case I do, if anybody has a tried and true method for removing and cleaning the gas tank, I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

50A1EFE7-B7A2-4982-838A-532A3C991A36.jpeg5D0DCDE5-04A1-42BD-9C82-2B0576F561F2.jpeg8580B912-F45C-47B6-ACBE-E22A44351979.jpeg2E317150-6FBF-44D0-9D98-08405F44A210.jpeg4BF09172-FA20-46B5-90E4-3730AD907E40.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m reading conflicting information here on flat towing our Willys 4x4’s.
Who’s correct?
Over my years using a tow bar I always put transmission and transfer case in neutral.
Seems to me since the xfer case outputs are below the filler level the bearings and shaft are fully rotating in the gear lube when towing. So what’s the harm with neutral?
What damage may I have caused, or not?
Your way is ok and will not hurt anything, I like to put the trany in gear so there is no way the transmission can turn, thats what kills it when towing...Phil

Back