Tornado 230 Holley carb switching to Motorcraft

kswillys

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Evan
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Hey so I bought a kit to swap my Holley carb to a motorcraft and I have a few questions. Do I run the oil vent tube to the nipple that has a rubber on it in the pics on the side of the carb with a pcv valve like the holley was or do I leave that plugged off. The kit included a filter and wasnt sure if that went on the oil vent tube and you left that big nipple plugged up. Also on my distributor the vacuum advance is ran to a T on the side of the block. Is that called Direct vacuum? Do i need to plug that up and run the timing to the small nipple on the carb or will it run properly with how the vacuum was originally ran off that T on the side of the block. Also This is a freshy rebuilt engine I stabbed the distributor at TDC and obviously marked my spark plugs. Any suggestions on where I need to have the distributor sitting on its adjustment for first start. I've never set timing before I may need to have someone come show me Id hate to ruin the engine with poor timing on first start. 53274879_469494806921808_4706148356609540096_n.jpg 53891106_516605982077684_2689003969472102400_n.jpg 53660866_1153628808134404_7089898481980014592_n.jpg 54413298_2016124768682888_4277204234681712640_n.jpg 54155065_810265679348323_3555395801897238528_n.jpg

gimbelsjeep

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Sean duffy
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
First of all you have a Tornado engine from the photo and it looks like you have done a good job with it. If your carb conversion works I would like to know more. Keep in mind that the Jeep (Holley #2415) carbs are different for a reason. They are designed to work at severe angles and not flood or cavitate(suck air). You may find that the Motorcraft will starve out on a grade like hill climbing. If you have the original carb and don't want it I will buy it in any condition.

cwdtmmrs

Well Oiled
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I agree that the Holley works fine when it is set up properly. The only issue is that they do not like to sit for weeks without been run. I set mine with 51 jets, 8.5 power valve and a 26 accelerator pump nozzel. I also run the spring loaded float needle and vent baffels.

It looks like the Motorcraft came from the eBay seller in Colorado. He originally developed that for the 6-226. I spoke with him a couple of years ago about a 6-230 application and didn't see any advantage to the swap. I am curious to hear your results.

To answer a couple of your questions: IIRC, hook your PCV between the valve cover and manifold (direct ) vacuum. Manifold vacuum is constant and port vacuum is only present when the throttle plate is open. Your distributor needs to be hooked to manifold vacuum as well. "0*" is going for start up. To get closer, set the marks at 5* btc and turn the distributor until the points are just starting to break. You could also hook up your timing light (ignition on motor off) and turn the distributor just enough for the light to pop. Make sure you triple check everything and carefully fill the carb float bowl with fuel. The valves are correctly adjusted and you have oil, right? I like to pack the oil pump with Vaseline and fill the oil through a tee in the oil pressure sender line using a weedsprayer. Don't use starting fluid. Make sure the battery is charged. If everything is right, the engine will start in 5-6 cranks. Your final distributor timing is set with the vacuum line disconnected and plugged.

kswillys

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Evan
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I agree that the Holley works fine when it is set up properly. The only issue is that they do not like to sit for weeks without been run. I set mine with 51 jets, 8.5 power valve and a 26 accelerator pump nozzel. I also run the spring loaded float needle and vent baffels.

It looks like the Motorcraft came from the eBay seller in Colorado. He originally developed that for the 6-226. I spoke with him a couple of years ago about a 6-230 application and didn't see any advantage to the swap. I am curious to hear your results.

To answer a couple of your questions: IIRC, hook your PCV between the valve cover and manifold (direct ) vacuum. Manifold vacuum is constant and port vacuum is only present when the throttle plate is open. Your distributor needs to be hooked to manifold vacuum as well. "0*" is going for start up. To get closer, set the marks at 5* btc and turn the distributor until the points are just starting to break. You could also hook up your timing light (ignition on motor off) and turn the distributor just enough for the light to pop. Make sure you triple check everything and carefully fill the carb float bowl with fuel. The valves are correctly adjusted and you have oil, right? I like to pack the oil pump with Vaseline and fill the oil through a tee in the oil pressure sender line using a weedsprayer. Don't use starting fluid. Make sure the battery is charged. If everything is right, the engine will start in 5-6 cranks. Your final distributor timing is set with the vacuum line disconnected and plugged.
Your start up procedure for timing worked like a charm thank you fired right off like fuel injection. Thank you