Tempurature Gauge on '77 CJ-7 on the Fritz !!

Greaser007

Well Oiled
Mar 1, 2019
Anderson, California
First Name
Leonard
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
Good morning "troops" (guys and gals) !
Ok, I am looking for suggestions here to "fix" my faulty temperature gauge on my '77 cj-7 with 304 V-8.
My temperature gauge has not worked properly for many years. I figure if the engine overheats because the gauge is not accurate, then i'll just blow-a-hose.

I am not so sure my gauge is working properly, or if the sending unit is not heating up properly.
When I removed the instrument cluster a year ago, if I remember properly, the nuts on the rear of the gauge were "loose" and not snug.
I thought one of you "electric-wizard" guys or gals would know what voltage or ohms reading I should be looking for from the sending unit, and how to check ?
Maybe too, some way to check the gauge.
I think I grounded the wire to the engine block sending unit, and the gauge pegged. So I am thinking I am dealing with some sort of "resistance" thing.

I am not on the Forums daily, so it may take me several days to respond to any questions. Thanks !

Thanks Gary !
I bookmarked that link, and will use it when I get the courage to remove the speedo cluster _ _ again.
That Temp gauge has given me fits for awhile now. The last time i had it out, maybe 2-years ago, i tightened the fasteners and it all seemed to check out fine. Then once all assembled, the temp didn't seem to be very accurate. I will have to check the radiator temps with the candy thermometer while running, and see where the gauge sits. More disassembly it looks like.

You might consider an IR noncontact heat gun. With the heat gun you can monitor the temp at various locations in your Jeep, not just the engine. I have both a $60 Fluke and a $12 Harbor Freight model. I’ve checked one against the other. The HF is within 5 degrees of the Fluke.

You might consider an IR noncontact heat gun. With the heat gun you can monitor the temp at various locations in your Jeep, not just the engine. I have both a $60 Fluke and a $12 Harbor Freight model. I’ve checked one against the other. The HF is within 5 degrees of the Fluke.

thanks Paul !
I think I should consider getting one of those heat gun temp gauge. I wouldn't have the foggiest-idea of which one to purchase.
But, with the cold clammy weather lately, i'm sure I have plenty of fog-on-the-brain. Foggy-Bottoms !
Foggy-Bottoms is the nickname for the town of Ferndale, California. It sits near the mouth of the great Eel River at the confluence with the Pacific Ocean, and it is always foggy. hahahaha _ _ good for horse racing though.

It is a booger removing the gauge cluster from the '77 Cj.

A simple test of a new heat gun is boil some water on your kitchen stove and see what it reads. If it is off more than 3% return it.

thanks Paul !
I think I should consider getting one of those heat gun temp gauge. I wouldn't have the foggiest-idea of which one to purchase.
But, with the cold clammy weather lately, i'm sure I have plenty of fog-on-the-brain. Foggy-Bottoms !
Foggy-Bottoms is the nickname for the town of Ferndale, California. It sits near the mouth of the great Eel River at the confluence with the Pacific Ocean, and it is always foggy. hahahaha _ _ good for horse racing though.

It is a booger removing the gauge cluster from the '77 Cj.

That’s a great link to the article from Morris 4x4. Here’s one that troubleshoots why some replacement gauges don’t work: https://hansonmechanical.wordpress.com/2016/12/27/fixing-your-new-cj7-speedometer-gauges/

Aside: Ferndale is the northern gateway to California’s Lost Coast and is a quaint Victorian village featured in movies like Outbreak and The Majestic. For something truly quirky, check of the annual Kinetic Sculpture Race. To bring it back to Willys, Ferndale had a long-time Willys dealer - Tipple Motors, who also was (and is) the town’s service station:
F48FF9E1-BF40-4252-8BE1-79B124EF0CF3.jpeg

Now back to Jeep gauges...

Tipple Motors _ _ _ amazing how business names get passed on through the decades.
Having lived in Fortuna, California for 6-years, I learned the nickname for Ferndale was "Foggy-Bottoms". hahahaha

Scramboleer: thanks for the link !!

Back