Bigger Hammer
Mar 5, 2019
First Name
Garry
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
I have a 1950 jeepster with orginial gauges. Since this was a off frame restoration all the gauges were clean and checked. Since someone had added axilary gauges with capillary tubes I also installed a new temp sending unit so I could use the original temp gauge. The Unit was bought from a reputable vendor. All the
gauges are working correctly except the temp. The gauge registers hot after a few minutes of running but I have checked the engine temperature and it is running at a proper temperature. I tested the temp gauge with a 4.7 volt power source and a variable resistor. Here are the results:
Zero resistance the gauge read hot or 100%
10 ohm resistor ... gauge 75% towards hot(to right)
20 ohm resistor... gauge read 48% towards hot
30 ohm resistor... gauge reads 25% towards hot
Does anyone know if the gauge is correct?
Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!

I have a 12 volt system with Runtz resistors from 5th Ave. on the original gauges. The temp gauge needed a 100 ohm resistor parallel to the sending unit. Appears to read accurately.

Thanks but does anyone know what the correct ohms are for the original temperature gauge

No it's running in the proper direction. Is just registers hot but the engine is not. I've order a ivr hope that's the problem

No it's running in the proper direction. Is just registers hot but the engine is not. I've order a ivr hope that's the problem

I do not know about Jeepsters but for wagons and truck from '47-'50.5, Willys did not use an IVR. Gauges from King Seely operated on straight battery voltage. As such, if your Jeepster was/is the same the gauges will want a minimum of 6.3v as opposed to the '50.5 and later gauges that DID come with IVR's and use 5.5v.

Thanks. I know that the gauges that are in it now have a ivr, but I have checked it and it is not working. I yes there is always the chance that the gauges were replaced somewhere down the line but they sure look original.

Thanks. I know that the gauges that are in it now have a ivr, but I have checked it and it is not working. I yes there is always the chance that the gauges were replaced somewhere down the line but they sure look original.
Found this maybe it helps. 1593621751895.png1593621771681.png

Thanks that a big help! Do you have any idea what the voltage should be coming out of the ivr?

Start a thread, post pics of your exterior and gauges. I'm sure the Jeepster experts can help.

Is there anyway to determine if my jeepster is a 50.5 and later?

Try to get the speedometer dial and gauge part numbers. You may be able to see them, without taking the cluster apart, by looking at an angle, through the glass. Knowing the part numbers will tell you (or someone) when (years and vehicles) they were used and how (operating voltage and sender resistance) they are supposed to work. You mentioned not knowing for sure if the gauges are original to the vehicle.

I'll see what I can find. As far as I know the gauges are orginial. They do not look like they have been replaced but who know what happened over 70 years. If I can find a part number who should I contact?

Here is a picture of one of the gauge cluster with the stock instrument voltage regulator mounted on it. If you have this part then I assume you have the later 50 model. When I converted to 12 volts, I just used a cheap 12-5 voltage regulator. The gauges seem to work good at the 5 volt level.

Mike
20191108_150048.jpg

Back