Jan 27, 2014
Osage, WY
First Name
Jared
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
A while back, I purchased some replacement motor mounts from KW when I rebuilt my 226 engine in my '58 pickup. When I replaced the mounts, I noticed that the new ones are taller than the old ones. Now my engine is higher in the front, and is causing some interesting issues. My ground strap is tight (not good), and the cylinder head is nearly touching the firewall. This doesn't seem right to me. Has anyone else had this issue? Are there shorter mounts I can use? Thanks!

Jackalope

Bigger Hammer
Jan 27, 2014
Osage, WY
First Name
Jared
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
I haven't checked that out yet. The transmission is the next part of the rebuild plan. I imagine that it has never been replaced. Thanks for the thought, I'll need to take a peek and see, if there isn't too much dirt and gunk to tell. ;)

shade

Sharpest Tool
Jan 25, 2013
Montrose, Colorado
First Name
Adrian
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
I found that the mounts for my 226 were different than he ones on my 4cyl. think the 6 cyl are shorter.

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
I have never head of that problem. Old motor mounts get soft , weak and shrink down. A lot in some cases. I do know that the rear crossmembers are different between 4 and 6, and height is part of it.
diggerG

Big Dog Frank

Well Oiled
Feb 12, 2016
North Lawrence,Ohio
First Name
Frank
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
Greg,some of the parts that are being sold just don't fit or work. If it ain't right the vendor should make it right. Case in point,I just bought a Scat shifter for a Volkswagen. Scat is name brand stuff. The shifter worked just fine if you never had the need to use reverse. Vw has a reverse lock out on the shifter. The Scat shifter did not have the necessary slot machined in it so it would go into reverse. Back to the dealer it went. Oh and by the way the VW guys are having issues with junk condensers also. Just like we are.

Jackalope

Bigger Hammer
Jan 27, 2014
Osage, WY
First Name
Jared
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
Hmm... interesting. What is the height of the front mounts that you all have (from the mounting base to the top of the rubber)? That might help me determine if I need to find something different.

The other thing that makes me wonder is that my fan is not centered in the shroud. Not a clearance issue, but it would make sense that the original design put the fan somewhat close to the center. Thanks everyone!

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
Hmm... interesting. What is the height of the front mounts that you all have (from the mounting base to the top of the rubber)? That might help me determine if I need to find something different.

The other thing that makes me wonder is that my fan is not centered in the shroud. Not a clearance issue, but it would make sense that the original design put the fan somewhat close to the center. Thanks everyone!

Did you check the rubber bushings under the grille? body mounts?
diggerG

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
Greg,some of the parts that are being sold just don't fit or work. If it ain't right the vendor should make it right. Case in point,I just bought a Scat shifter for a Volkswagen. Scat is name brand stuff. The shifter worked just fine if you never had the need to use reverse. Vw has a reverse lock out on the shifter. The Scat shifter did not have the necessary slot machined in it so it would go into reverse. Back to the dealer it went. Oh and by the way the VW guys are having issues with junk condensers also. Just like we are.

I don't doubt you Frank, not at all. But I question just how much off a new motor mount would have to be to create a problem like that. And I said I never heard of 4 and 6 motor mounts being different. They look the same. With all the Jeep work I've done I've never noticed a difference. I COULD be wrong however. We'll just see how this works out.
diggerG

shade

Sharpest Tool
Jan 25, 2013
Montrose, Colorado
First Name
Adrian
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
I think I got my mounts from Willys America and they asked me if they were for a 4 cylinder or a six. Those guys are really about the best for straight info in my opinion. Carl at Walcks does a great job too but I got the restoration/parts manual from Willys America and it has been a really good resource. There are different part numbers for the motor mounts on the L6-226 Super Hurricane and the F4-134.

Jackalope

Bigger Hammer
Jan 27, 2014
Osage, WY
First Name
Jared
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
Did you check the rubber bushings under the grille? body mounts?
diggerG

How squished down is the rear mount?

Here's some thoughts of mine: The body mounts shouldn't make a difference as the engine is mounted to the crossmember in front (I'm going off memory here). The transmission mount in the rear shouldn't affect the ground strap being tight in the front as they are in the same plane as the front mounts.

From looking at the pics in KW, Walcks, and Willys America websites, the F-134 mounts being sold are shorter than the L-226. Also, the 2-piece transmission mounts appear to be the same as what is being sold for the front engine mounts (the ones I got).

I'll try to get some pics here sometime. Won't be able to get to my Jeep for a while. Thanks all!

david0225

Sharpest Tool
Aug 4, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
First Name
David
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
My 226 mount height. No issues with height or pulling ground straps before I pulled it all apart.
David B6AE2EED-FD0E-4183-B8DE-A17D6AAFD8CB.jpeg

Jackalope

Bigger Hammer
Jan 27, 2014
Osage, WY
First Name
Jared
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
I was finally able to work on my pickup a little more (you know, virus restrictions and all). I did notice that my fan was centered in the shroud after all. Also, on another post, I noticed that someone mounted their ground strap to the motor mount bolt that attaches to the frame. This made the strap very flexible. Mine strap goes all the way to the bottom of the frame crossmember by the fender. Where do you mount the frame end of your ground strap?

david0225

Sharpest Tool
Aug 4, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
First Name
David
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
57CC548E-6AD1-4752-BF5C-236887CD3B09.jpegNot a great pic but, if you look behind the alternator, you can see the ground strap going from the block to the bolt at the back of the mount.
David