TAILGATE REPAIR - New Front End - Pictures

Re: TAILGATE RUST REPAIR - THE START OF DATING

That's a nice tool! Those are the kind of tricks of the trade that are worth knowing for sure.
I had no idea anything like that existed. Sure would make it a lot easier to attach two panels.

62 OlllO said:
One of my favorite air tools when replacing metal...it makes a nice crimp that lays nicely behind existing metal and will punch a perfect hole for spot welding....finished product is a nice smooth lap seam requiring less bondo.
[attachment=2:kbvfdql9]DSCN1436.jpg[/attachment:kbvfdql9]
Finally ready to remove engine...look closely at all those wires....I had plugs wires drooping below the frame. It's a good thing I'm in the rebuilding stage, I have found cracks in vital frame area's, bolts loose, factory rivets missing in steering frame bracket and basic bad workmanship when someone replaced the stock springs.
[attachment=1:kbvfdql9]DSCN1437.jpg[/attachment:kbvfdql9]
Anyone know anything about a RANCHO after market leaf spring, on all four corners of this Wagon....providing a 2+ lift.
[attachment=0:kbvfdql9]DSCN1439.jpg[/attachment:kbvfdql9]
Another cold day here in Georgia for working outside....Received my new rear quarter panels yesterday $520.00 delivered...and YES the die being used to make these... is worn out...these quarters loose detail, but it speeds things up when repairing metal around wheel wells. When these quarters are the only game in town you have to play with whats available... Love having them, hate having to use them. After I install them I will prepare the inside with a paint so these won't rust as fast. The rest of the metal work I will be making...everything is expensive. I guess that's why I don't build authentic resto's...I don't have the talent for perfection and money to purchase the NOS parts.

We'd call it a joggling tool. It creates a joggle in metal and can be accomplished with a bench vice and two pieces of metal of any given thickness (within reason and the thickness you will be joggling into) straddling the point in which you want your joggle to start. Although, for sheet metal panels, such as the ones you will be installing, it is the perfect tool if you're doing lap joints.

It's a good thing you've taken it apart, it seems.

About those panels and them saying they would have to cut them in half to ship them. Were they actually serious about cutting them in half or just making a point of argument?

I don't know a thing about those springs. I do know that before I got sick I was tackling undoing someone else's shade-tree lift job where they put the axles under the springs. That part wasn't so bad (except that I knew something wasn't right about the ride height...and didn't know what it was at first) but they welded perches on the axle to accommodate the new position and accidentally (I guess) tacked one of the leafs on the spring to the perch and when I went to separate it from the perch it broke the leaf. Now I'm gong to try and scavenge a good set of springs from DV1.

atb!

TT

I think rancho used to be about the only ones that made a lift spring for the wagons, unless you went custom. I had called them to see if they still did because I want to run 15x10 rims w/33's when I get mine going and I am going to need lift to keep it from hitting. They don't make them anymore, and the people that have aswered my questions about them said they ride a little stiff. I personally don't know so I will be curious to see how they work for you.........

The Rancho springs I have inherited will be sitting in my garage....I'm not going to be using them, at least the fronts will be changed out immediately. I like what Midnightburn did to his, a longer spring/eye measurement will give a better ride...original is 36 inches and if you went to a 50" spring the ride should be smoother, correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm going to install new body mount rubbers too....which by cheating some you could lift the body some, giving additional clearance. I personally... not interested in bigger tires and lift however.

Eric got the sheetmetal in late Saturday. Got the pooltable out but haven't got the 57 in yet. Had to switch out pooltable fir railbuggy. Got room now to get welder out to weld in rear transome. Just got to get it rolling. Should be done Monday night with it. Had to use pooltable and celebrate a little :beer: :beer: :beer: :cheers: Will post pics when I find camera. Kids!!! I use one of those just for hole punching. Very uniform in holes for spot welding when lapping. Quicker than a drill and no bending of metal. Very useful. Chuck

Boys... I'm as excited as a new born calf looking at his mothers utter for the first time ...tomorrow my Willys will be in the shop... gas wrench in hand....original front springs, axles and steering will be removed.
Lot's of work to do and I will post pictures....stay tuned...stay warm!

[attachment=0:2dn67gri]DSCN1493.jpg[/attachment:2dn67gri]
[attachment=1:2dn67gri]DSCN1495.jpg[/attachment:2dn67gri]
[attachment=2:2dn67gri]DSCN1494.jpg[/attachment:2dn67gri]

Attachments

• DSCN1494.jpg
    DSCN1494.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN1495.jpg
    DSCN1495.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN1493.jpg
    DSCN1493.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 52
I apologize for the smoke haze in the pictures, that gas wrench was busy. Good thing I'm fixing the old-girl...previous owner/owners did some scary un-safe work, not that I'm perfect but this Willys could have been my coffin just driving it to the car wash.[attachment=2:2lv1dp9l]DSCN1497.jpg[/attachment:2lv1dp9l][attachment=1:2lv1dp9l]DSCN1500.jpg[/attachment:2lv1dp9l]
I'm very fortunate to have the tools and work place provided to me by Mike Chesser, owner of Chesser's Auto Emporium in Lawrenceville, GA...you can google it... I built my '51 Willys Wagon here as well a few years ago...sold it, miss it - so I'm doing all over again but 4x4.
[attachment=0:2lv1dp9l]DSCN1499.jpg[/attachment:2lv1dp9l]
I hope you guys and ladies enjoy the pictures because I'm dead beat and my body is telling me..."Hot Bath". These are exciting times.

Attachments

• DSCN1497.jpg
    DSCN1497.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN1500.jpg
    DSCN1500.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN1499.jpg
    DSCN1499.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 45
Yesterdays play time is being felt today, I was very slow this morning and got a very late start. Rivets - I have been using the gas cutting torch thinking it was better than grinding the heads...I now believe grinding the heads and hitting the rivet with a punch chisel, using a big hammer....it's cleaner. These pictures don't show a finished product, just progress for the day.[attachment=2:3cji9ode]DSCN1501.jpg[/attachment:3cji9ode]
Slitting the original frame top and over lapping it onto the new extension...I believe this makes a stronger union.[attachment=1:3cji9ode]DSCN1502.jpg[/attachment:3cji9ode]
This evening, I pooped, worn out, exhausted but not expired...
[attachment=0:3cji9ode]DSCN1505.jpg[/attachment:3cji9ode]

Doesn't probably look like there was a lot done today, that's the way it goes...some days your the windshield, other days your the bug! Mindnightburn, thank you for your inspiration, knowledge and help...I could never copy you so I hope you aren't to critical on my approach to this Old '62...and folks, I'm scrambling the yard for scrap to weld, no perfect metal, using what I find.

Attachments

• DSCN1501.jpg
    DSCN1501.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN1502.jpg
    DSCN1502.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN1505.jpg
    DSCN1505.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 39
Don't tell anyone, I've been cheating...a friend is doing the heavy stuff....my back won't allow me to do much but watch and hold the gas torch....but it is coming along with a little help from my friends.

62 OlllO said:
Don't tell anyone, I've been cheating...a friend is doing the heavy stuff....my back won't allow me to do much but watch and hold the gas torch....but it is coming along with a little help from my friends.

That's not cheating. It's sharing a great hobby with your friends :thumbup:

I'm lazy and haven't separated the Warn OD from the tranny yet...don't know anything about it really and don't want to mess anything up if I did separated it...and if I sold it then I would have to ship it...that's asking a lot out me...when the weather gets nicer perhaps I will worry about it and the adapter plate.

Kevin, good to have met you when you were in Scottsdale the other day, just wished you were here now...

OK here is the issue: When to remove my tailgate and of the 20 or so screws that hold the piano hinge in some of them just stripped out and the rest just snapped off.

Looking at your fist pic or so, it looks like you just opened it a rectangular hole just above the piano hinge on the tailgate. I can do same and cut off the back side of the screws. Then use a filler strip and tack it in. Not sure what I will do about the screws in the body itself...not that far along.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on this. NOTE: My hinge and tailgate are in good shape otherwise, just the screws are screwed up...mine where Phillips heads, is this correct?

Thanks for you help... ;)

Don

It was great meeting you and seeing your Wagon....with NO RUST...Regarding the phillip head screws on the tail gate, I purposely either tightened them so they would break or drilled the heads off...my inside guts of the tail-gate was solid frozen rust and needed replacing. I took a piece of angle iron, marked for the holes, drilled, then tack welded a nut on the inside to accept new screws. I'm going to re-use the piano hinge...I welded the angle iron to the inside of the existing TG onto good metal. Originally the screws screw into something similar to what I made. I haven't addressed the bottom support yet, but will be doing something in the same fashion. It's a good inside job for you. I also bought some ISPHO from Ace Hardware, $22.00/gallon, and poured it into the tail gate, slush it around and let it set...poured some inside the doors as well...it will assist fighting the rust.
As the event in Utah gets closer, perhaps I might discuss traveling at that time...Stay Safe

62 OlllO said:
I'm lazy and haven't separated the Warn OD from the tranny yet...don't know anything about it really and don't want to mess anything up if I did separated it...and if I sold it then I would have to ship it...that's asking a lot out me...when the weather gets nicer perhaps I will worry about it and the adapter plate.

mine is going for $600 ON E-BAY RIGHT NOW lookup warn od removal on google, it will pay for a big part of your build!

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/tra ... saturn.htm

I'm getting tired of owning this.....make an offer that's live able...

Back to the TAILGATE..... after fiberglass & body putty, with lot's of sanding and priming ( the idea is to use the least amount of putty ) here is the final look.
[attachment=1:360xcg6m]Tailgate 001.jpg[/attachment:360xcg6m]
And before with a set of cheap LED tail lights for a trailer
[attachment=0:360xcg6m]Tail Lights 006.jpg[/attachment:360xcg6m]

Enjoy and stay safe....hug your wife and say thanks to the man above...

Attachments

• Tailgate 001.jpg
    Tailgate 001.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Tail Lights 006.jpg
    Tail Lights 006.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Tail Lights 006.jpg
    Tail Lights 006.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 43
Back