4. Jeepster
  5. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
  2. 1953
  3. 1955
  4. 1962
  5. Other
How about a pair of 1157 bulbs? I’m thinking there’s enough room in the taillamp to install two of the lamp sockets,
One mounted on top, one on the bottom.
I’ll hafta try that!

cwdtmmrs

Well Oiled
All-Star
Jul 19, 2012
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
How about a pair of 1157 bulbs? I’m thinking there’s enough room in the taillamp to install two of the lamp sockets,
One mounted on top, one on the bottom.
I’ll hafta try that!

That is a good idea. but I would two single filament bulbs in. 1 for tail ligths and another for brake lights. I am more concerned with the light differential between the tail and stop lights than just having bright tail lights. Not that brighter tail lights aren't a good thing, it is just that I want drivers behind to KNOW when i hit the brakes.

Years ago I had a friend install 2 OEM light housings in his wagon, one right below the other. His theory was that people notice when another light comes on more than a light getting brighter. Didn't look too bad.

timd32

Well Oiled
All-Star
Jan 4, 2020
NJ
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Ran across 2 different things.

Found these LED 1157 deals, not sure if anyone has tried these, one thing with LED I found was they tend to dim over time, say like 10min after running they lose some light due to heat.

Also found an example on YouTube where the person used a Light Meter to test out a bunch if bulbs. Which led me to this app for the phone that measures LUX which is the Lumen. Also does FC foot candle.

Seems there are some various ways to test this out for sure on what's what.

I don't know the exact way to figure it all out, but I think the eye ball test is pretty good as well, light does not photo well for sure.

So I have the following.

1157 LED
1176 Long Life, (I'm not 100% why I grabbed these, maybe I was thinking they are the 1157 but long life?)

Either way will figure out a simple test set up and probably 30 min of time to test these ideas out.

Screenshot_20220805-210316_Lux Light Meter.jpg
20220805_210154.jpg