Supporting the body without the frame

MrFreeze5

Bigger Hammer
Mar 2, 2010
Denver, Co
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Most unfortunately, I do not have a garage, or even a driveway. And currently, the Willys is sharing the same part of the yard where my dog likes to poop. This does not make for a great work space to begin with, but add to that, my house does not have 220v, I dont have my engine hoist here, and I couldnt really use it very well in the backyard anyway. I need to pull the body off my frame and support it indefinately so I can roll the frame out to at least a better area to pull the engine and do some work on it at home, but more importantly to be able to transport the frame so I can get the welding done needed to box it in, set up the suspension, and install the engine.

I am wondering what the best way is to support the body for a extended period of time that doesnt involve a lot of $$. I need to be able to keep the body suspended so I can roll the frame back underneath for space issues, or to check stuff. Ive been looking around for some used screw jacks, and maybe some sawhorses and 2x6's or something. Ill have to sit it on plywood so it doesnt sink, but would a setup like this be sufficient to keep from tweaking it if it ends up sitting for a few weeks instead if a few days? Do I risk damaging the rocker panels or anything else? Ill remove the front clip of course.

I had to move a small greenhouse on a trailer once without breaking all the windows and had to so something similar, so Im going by that :D If I can roll my frame out easily, I can get things done so much more quickly and effectively.

62 OlllO

Well Oiled
Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I like the idea of using 4 camper jacks (screw jacks) or 8 of your friends, then rest the body on new 2x6 saw horse's resting on a patio brick....keep the doors shut at all times or brace the insides at least once from door post to door post...you are on your way....to the welder...good luck!

MrFreeze5

Bigger Hammer
Mar 2, 2010
Denver, Co
Willys Model
Willys Year:
62 OlllO said:
I like the idea of using 4 camper jacks (screw jacks) or 8 of your friends, then rest the body on new 2x6 saw horse's resting on a patio brick....keep the doors shut at all times or brace the insides at least once from door post to door post...you are on your way....to the welder...good luck!
Ah good point, I forgot to bring up whether or not I needed to brace the inside. Currently the drive door does not latch, so I should probably build a crossbrace for that. Ive got plenty of patio brick. In fact, Ive stolen half my patio already for various reasons around the yard :D

Rosati

Bigger Hammer
Feb 21, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
You could build a couple of A frames to lift the body off with. I would use a couple
of 2x12 with a sheet of plywood screwed between them and 4x4 for legs. You
could use a couple of large truck straps to wrap up under the body front and rear.
Then you could set the cab on a pair of "sawhorses" with really large pads.

62 OlllO

Well Oiled
Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Rosati - you could use it as a swing set when not lifting Willys Bodies off of frames....bolting it together would allow you to dismantle it...nice job.
Mr. Freeze - save that lumber when finished with your project for the new garage. I like to recycle.

SavageSun Willys

Sharpest Tool
Jan 7, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Willys Model
Willys Year:
The 'A' frame or saw horses are both good ideas. 2x6 bolted should be fine if you are just lifting the tub. As I understand the tub weighs about 600 lbs or so w/glass.

Eric B

Precision Fit
Nov 27, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Eric
Willys Model
Other
Willys Year:
Other
We took my body off the frame and I set it on the side of my garage on 6 pallets stacked 3 high in the front and rear area. I just added a couple 2x4 's under the rear section to give a little additional support.

Covered with a tarp after loading with front clip parts and other odds and ends. Been that way for 2 months with no movement.....

My 2 cents, but I like the A-frame idea shown in that above post.