Jan 13, 2016
Maryland
First Name
Eddie
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Last week I joined the Willys community with the purchase of a 1961 Utility Wagon, the "Black Mariah". It's mostly original, 80K miles, original drive train except for larger tires. So original in fact, I believe the spark plugs are fused to the head with rust. But true to form, the truck starts right up and runs great. I want to make sure it's reliable. It is not a daily driver but I would like to take it when I ski (locally). We now have three cars with a combined age of 90.

First question: should I buy another head and replace the current one as a first step? Again, the engine runs fine.

My brother-in-law owns an old pickup - he thinks I should drive it "as is" until something breaks. I am thinking of buying F-226 engine parts on eBay, block, crank, head and building it up with new parts from Kaiser Willys and lots of help from the local old school machine shop. I'm at the impressionable age of 61 and ready for a challenge. I am a poor mechanic but I have tools and a willingness to fail. After all, I'm a musician.

What do you think, experienced Willys friends? Thanks for your consideration.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 61 Willys.jpg
    61 Willys.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 348
  • 61 Willys 2.jpg
    61 Willys 2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 343
its hard to believe the spark plugs won't come out with a little TLC.

there's wisdom in what your brother-in-law says.

I honestly cant say what I'd do. I'd probably be too curious to leave the old plugs in it and either get them out or break them off trying. Then again, if it runs so well, maybe it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

That's a great looking Wagon Eddie. I'm also thinking of building a seperate motor next year. Could be great fun and I'd do it as finances allow.(it's not cheap) In the meantime drive that great old girl as much as possible and perhaps Diggerg, Mathman or one of the other really xperienced Willys owners on the forum have some techniques or trick to assist you to get those plugs free so you can test compression etc.

Thanks for the plug Garth.

It's EASY for me to believe that spark plugs rust themselves right into the head. I live in the Northeast. (New England) I see Eddie is from Maryland.

Eddie, you should definitely get those spark plugs out and replace, as well as other maintenance procedures.

Here is what I would do: warm the engine up and see if you can loosen up the spark plugs immediately. If they break, no worries. Be ready to loosen up all the cyllinder head bolts immediately while the engine is still hot. (Drain your coolant quickly.) The heat helps loosen stubborn head bolts. Then pull the cylinder head. Hammer out the electrode in the middle of the plugs, and use the proper size easy-out and it will come out. If you have an oxy-accetylene torch then use it to heat up the plug thread ends to loosen them up. Then bang in the easy out with a hammer. Let everything cool, and the rusted plug threads will come right out. I've done this many times. If you can find a tap for spark plug threads, that would be helpful in cleaning up the threads.

This may open up a can of mechanical worms, but they would surface on their own quickly anyway, with or without trying to pull out the spark plugs. A new head gasket and inspecting the engine internals is never a bad thing for a New-Old Jeep.

By the way, that looks like a great find!

Good luck

diggerG

I would spray some PB Blaster WD 40 or similar spray around the plugs and drive it several times over a few days or weeks. Then one the day you are going to try to remove them spray them again then warm the engine and see if they will loosen. Try tapping the wrench to loosen the plugs . Even if you break the porcelain part of the plugs a tool can be used on the metal part. Hopes this helps and if you use it that it works. Jim

That is a sharp looking Wagon. I agree and would replace the plugs. DiggerG is right and warming the engine first should help.

If it ain't BROKE....don't fix it.....

The engine will tell you when it needs help...

Looks like a really NICE driver.....do you want to drive it....or play with a pile of parts...in your driveway....?

Buy an old jalopy....or parts truck....if you really feel the need...to take something apart...

If you want to do something.....take a small sharp screwdriver....or awl....and scrape as much of the rust as you can....from around the base of the plug...blow out the residue......and liberally anoint the area with PB Blaster.....That way....when the time comes....the job will be easier.

Get out there and DRIVE your new toy....you'll be fixin' on it soon enough...JMO :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks DiggerG and the other folks, all good advice. The thought of tearing a spark plug out of the head is pretty scary to me. You guys are so bad ass. No one commented on the spare head idea - here's what this one looks like.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2621.JPG
    IMG_2621.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 284
You and my brother-in-law have the same philosophy. thanks!

BF Goodrich Mud -Terrain TA, 33x10.50 R15L. Made in the USA

Thanks. I call it the Black Mariah. Somebody even tinted the windows on it. It's kind of like a Willys Utility hearse. Pass the seat belts.

Thanks DiggerG and the other folks, all good advice. The thought of tearing a spark plug out of the head is pretty scary to me. You guys are so bad ass. No one commented on the spare head idea - here's what this one looks like.
attachment.php
Mix up a 50/50 batch of acetone/ATF. Pour a bit into the plug wells. The acetone will carry the atf into the threads. A far better penetrant than (most) commercial products available. Let sit overnight. Warm the engine up (like Digger said) and remove the plugs.
Unlikely you'll have a problem.
Coat the threads of your new plugs with anti-seize. I do this with every fasterner I touch on my Willys and Scout.

"If it ain't BROKE....don't fix it....."
Said no acft mechanic ever...
:p

Eddie, let me know if you are going to be looking for a new block, crank and head. I have them, I bought a complete 226 just for the exhaust and intake manifolds and would be willing to sell the rest off (the motor is in PA)....Charlie.

Last edited:
attachment.php

That doesn't look so bad. It may be fine down in the threads. I've had spark plugs like that come right out.

Mine looked worse and came out with a little WD-40. I wouldn't think you're going to have an issue.

Check out the Winchester, VA Craigslist. There is a torn- apart Super Hurricane advertised on there from Berkeley Springs. Not sure how far away from you, but there is a head with it.

Something you'll want to be mindful of should you choose to attempt extractions...

The rust on the surface of the base of those plugs is wicked abrasive. Before you mess with trying to get them out, get as much of that stuff off them as you can. Also clean up around the recesses.

Once most of the crap is lose, hit the recesses with the plugs still in with compressed air and/or a shop vac.

Apply the previously described methods to get the plugs to begin backing out. Clean up with a shop vac at a couple or so intervals while you back them out a few turns at a time, hopefully finishing up with just you fingers on the insulators for the last few turns.

Suggestion: If it was me, I'd enjoy the ride for a while. (A running Willy's might be one of the world's most useful vehicles here in the eastern regions for the next few days...)

Spend a few weeks driving around while you're soaking 'em in Banman's Brew.Wait for warmer weather to put the wrenches to 'em.

attachment.php

That is a very little bit of surface rust from condensation in the air.....its really VERY typical...of old cars that have been parked outside.....and NOT life threatening...at all....

Get a small wire brush a some green scotch brite....give the rust a scrub....and spray some WD 40 on it....and they will be FINE untill they tell you it's time to take them out....

Get out there and DRIVE your truck....

I like the alchemy aspect. I'll borrow my wife's finger nail polish remover - never knew it could remove rusty spark plus too.

Back