First Name
Giovanni
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
  2. 1953
Hello, I have been looking on the web info about the stock paint of the tailgate of a 1948, the ones that came with the W but I can't find an accurate answer.

I have this tailgate ready for the decals but I'm not sure how to paint it:

My idea for the truck was to go with the Potomac gray and Scarlet red like this truck:

But now Im not sure what color used on the "W" and on the "4 Wheel Drive" I was thinking for the "W" in red and "4th Wheel Drive" in Black since the rear bumper/frame it's black, but I don't know how the gray-red-black would mix on the back, also the lines of the "W" logo appears to be completely covered and some just run a line in the top part of the W

This tuck for example don't have the "4 Wheel Drive" and have the W matched with the roof and doors

This one with the patina don't seams to have the W painted at all, but few parts of white from the "4 Wheel Drive" still there:

My uncle that paint the truck before had something like this:

But on black and golden instead of red and white.

So long story make it short... I have no idea how to paint my tailgate...

I believe my options could be:

Big W in black or Red with no 4 wheel drive:

Black or Red "4 Wheel Drive" without the W

Both in Red or Both in Black.

Thank you in advance!

mathman

Well Oiled
Mar 14, 2012
AR
First Name
David
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
  2. Forward Control
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
  2. 1964
Thank you very much David, it looks just right on black, I'm wondering whats the color of your rims.
Don't know what the original rims were but I'm sure it's not the color I used when I re-did my truck. Dad had bought the truck in 1957 (it's a 1950) and he painted it a couple of times. Here's a picture of what the truck looked liked when dad bought it:

Here's a picture of the truck and rims:

Just a darker shade of grey.

Sunset

Sharpest Tool
Oct 2, 2013
Merida
First Name
Giovanni
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
  2. 1953
Thank you, I think we are going with both logos on black, but my brother wants to do paint the W by hand I said mask it with tape use a paint gun, but we will think about.