May 10, 2021
Arizona
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
I went with disc brakes all around. Best brakes I've ever driven. Need to grind axles. Get wheels that will fit over. New plumbing. proportioning valve MC from 78 chevy seems popular.

62 gladator

Gear Grinder
Jun 1, 2021
nakusp bc canada
First Name
peter
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
I went with disc brakes all around. Best brakes I've ever driven. Need to grind axles. Get wheels that will fit over. New plumbing. proportioning valve MC from 78 chevy seems popular.
Can you explain more: did you use brakes from a '78 Chevy? Why did you grind axles?

5JeepsAz

Sharpest Tool
May 10, 2021
Arizona
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
Can you explain more: did you use brakes from a '78 Chevy? Why did you grind axles?

Long story is on my build thread on ķw forum, same sn.

Short version is how this gets done is completely up to you. I went with drums at first but did not work well enough for my taste. Later went with all four discs because it's the safest. Everything is new, plumbing, mc. Brakes are new. You have to match brake type to your axles and to how you will use, towing, freeway, etc.

My axles needed grinded down to accept the new brakes. Grind, Check for fit, grind some more. The 78 corvette master cylinder seems like a popular option for restos, but it appears to be new not NOS, and I'm fairly certain that's the type on there now but will give you exact specs, details if it helps.

Also, the wheels were original but won't fit around the brakes, so there is that to address once you select your brake size, which wheels fit.

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
The early Gladiators and Wagoneers had a power assist steering setup (piston type) that is a bolt on option. I think I have a few somewhere in the barn.
diggerG (Greg)

Trlaketige

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
Oct 25, 2015
Mo
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
When did front disc brakes become available on these trucks?

1960willys350

Bigger Hammer
Apr 14, 2017
Oregon
First Name
Zack
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
Disc swaps are pretty common. You can buy a kit or put on together yourself with junkyard and auto store parts. I bought a kit from thejeepguy.com. I found his to be the most complete and he used to buy your 11" backing plates back, not sure if he still does though. You have to grind part of the knuckle so that the caliper does not hit as it slides. You may also need to replace the fill plug with a flush fitting type. I used a universal brake booster with corvette MC bolted to a factory bracket.

I'm not familiar with the early steering arrangement, wasn't it Ross? I think the frames are all the same so bolting a Saginaw box on shouldn't be too hard. Adding power steering could be a challenge depending on the motor you have. There are lots of options and aftermarket support. Mine is a 68, but I added Saginaw power steering, Borgeson shaft, and Flaming River tilt column. It costs, but a worthwhile investment.

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
tHe OHC 6 Wagoneers and a few Gladiators had power steering assist (piston) on a unique steering box that mounted above the frame rail. The V8s and later 6's had the Saaginaw steering boxes.
diggerG

cwdtmmrs

Well Oiled
Jul 19, 2012
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
tHe OHC 6 Wagoneers and a few Gladiators had power steering assist (piston) on a unique steering box that mounted above the frame rail. The V8s and later 6's had the Saaginaw steering boxes.
diggerG
I don't remember that steering box, but I do remember the spool valve on the end of the drag link with hoses going everywhere. Pretty much like the Corvette system. The OHC 6 had a cast tandem mount for alternator with the PS pump below. They also had a funky Independent front suspension set up available.

rocket

Well Oiled
Sep 3, 2015
Sierra Mtns
First Name
Rodney
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
I don't remember that steering box, but I do remember the spool valve on the end of the drag link with hoses going everywhere. Pretty much like the Corvette system. The OHC 6 had a cast tandem mount for alternator with the PS pump below. They also had a funky Independent front suspension set up available.
That funky Independent Front Suspension on the 4x4 Wagoneer was almost a dead ringer for the Ford IFS 4x4 Traction Beam that came out in 1980 it grew out of the Twin I beam 2wd system dating back to 65. Ford had the same issues with poor shock absorbers and wearing out front tires on the edges. Both axles were almost a sold axle with a hinge in the middle.

cwdtmmrs

Well Oiled
Jul 19, 2012
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
I think the Jeep set up use torsion bars instead of Springs if I remember correctly

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
I think the Jeep set up use torsion bars instead of Springs if I remember correctly

Tim and others
It did have an independent front axle system. I had one that I got in parts. I don't remember torsion bars or springs though, never got them. I can't snap a pic because the setup got stolen by the scrap metal thieves. It was not successful so Jeep stopped the idea and stayed with the solid front axle setup.
The early steering was not a Saginaw and mounted differently so there is no bolt on interchange. You could weld on the Saginaw bracket fairly easily though. I cut up for parts plenty of those Wagoneers and Gladiators back in the day.
diggerG

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
I converted my stock 1970 J-3600 Gladiator 11" brakes to the rare J-4000 Gladiator 12" brakes, drums & backing plates.

I'ver been told those 12" drums aren't available new. Anybody know for sure? I have a couple of sets of backing plates.
diggerG

5JeepsAz

Sharpest Tool
May 10, 2021
Arizona
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
@diggerG I could not find brake system for complete overhaul for my 64 j300, but that was when i was newer in the parts hunt. Would have considered the larger diameter, never heard of them until now, and nobody offered when I was looking. Ended up going with disc conversion. My originals might even be 12" drums. It was an odd size which made parts find harder.