Starting issue

bird

Sharpest Tool
First Name
eric
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I have a stock 51 CJ3A. Every first time I go to start it I need to pull out the choke a bit spray starting fluid down the carb and turn her over. Usually will fire up with in 3-4 attempt. Push the choke in and it settles down to a nice idle. Then it will start up every time instantly for most if not anytime for the rest of the day. Next day back to the same old thing with the starter fluid. Sounds like it should be a simple fix But I'm pretty simple minded so I am open to suggestions and advice.
Bird

Last edited:

wunderwillys

Precision Fit
First Name
Scott
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Sounds like the fuel system isn’t maintaining pressure and the motor has to run to get the air bubble out, start at the tank and work your way forward maybe blow compressed air backwards to the tank, check innards of all rubber lines for degradation

Greaser007

Sharpest Tool
First Name
Leonard
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
if you use primer gas instead of Starting fluid does it start up quick ?
Sounds to me like your accelerator pump is not Squirting a charge of fuel for start-up. Could be linkage adjustment.

bird

Sharpest Tool
First Name
eric
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
You know that I’m clueless in regards to almost all things mechanical but I was sort of thinking along the lines of possibly a bad float in the carb or some sort of low pressure or blockage. I haven’t done the gas primer thing on it cuz it’s so much easier/lazier to have to old spray can tucked in behind the seat. I’m down here in San Diego while the CJ is up on our cherry orchard in Montana. My visiting rights are sporadic

2cubs2cases

Bigger Hammer
All-Star
First Name
mike
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
You know that I’m clueless in regards to almost all things mechanical but I was sort of thinking along the lines of possibly a bad float in the carb or some sort of low pressure or blockage. I haven’t done the gas primer thing on it cuz it’s so much easier/lazier to have to old spray can tucked in behind the seat. I’m down here in San Diego while the CJ is up on our cherry orchard in Montana. My visiting rights are sporadic
How are your spark plugs , cap, rotor, points, condenser and wires? If they are fairly old consider changing them out for new and see if the problem improves or stays the same. If no change then you have a fuel issue to solve. Sucking air in the tank instead of fuel, a a bad gas line, a plugged fuel filter, a bad fuel pump, a problem with the carb. Things to check.

bird

Sharpest Tool
First Name
eric
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
Plugs wires points are solid. I’m going to focus on the fuel delivery. Seems like it’s fuel starved for initial start up but once the flow starts it’s ok

2cubs2cases

Bigger Hammer
All-Star
First Name
mike
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Pull the air horn off the car. Look inside and pull on the throttle linkage and see if gas is squirting in.
The air horn? On a Willys jeep? Can you give more information about what you mean?

scoutingranch

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Mike
Willys Model
Other
Willys Year:
Careful using starter fluid too much. Yep, when stone cold see if there is any fuel squirting in as the others mention.
When is the last time the carburetor was gone thru? How old is the fuel, filter issues, fuel tank clean? Carburetors are odd beings. I do not mess with them as the carb guy doesn't weld on live natural gas lines in the streets. I spent a small fortune recently having a FJ40 factory carb built by "the expert". Lasted 100 miles then went to sh--. There it is. The meaning of life