Aug 29, 2019
san diego california
First Name
eric(BIRD)
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. 1947
I have a stock 51 CJ3A. Every first time I go to start it I need to pull out the choke a bit spray starting fluid down the carb and turn her over. Usually will fire up with in 3-4 attempt. Push the choke in and it settles down to a nice idle. Then it will start up every time instantly for most if not anytime for the rest of the day. Next day back to the same old thing with the starter fluid. Sounds like it should be a simple fix But I'm pretty simple minded so I am open to suggestions and advice.
Bird

Last edited:
Sounds like the fuel system isn’t maintaining pressure and the motor has to run to get the air bubble out, start at the tank and work your way forward maybe blow compressed air backwards to the tank, check innards of all rubber lines for degradation

if you use primer gas instead of Starting fluid does it start up quick ?
Sounds to me like your accelerator pump is not Squirting a charge of fuel for start-up. Could be linkage adjustment.

You know that I’m clueless in regards to almost all things mechanical but I was sort of thinking along the lines of possibly a bad float in the carb or some sort of low pressure or blockage. I haven’t done the gas primer thing on it cuz it’s so much easier/lazier to have to old spray can tucked in behind the seat. I’m down here in San Diego while the CJ is up on our cherry orchard in Montana. My visiting rights are sporadic

You know that I’m clueless in regards to almost all things mechanical but I was sort of thinking along the lines of possibly a bad float in the carb or some sort of low pressure or blockage. I haven’t done the gas primer thing on it cuz it’s so much easier/lazier to have to old spray can tucked in behind the seat. I’m down here in San Diego while the CJ is up on our cherry orchard in Montana. My visiting rights are sporadic
How are your spark plugs , cap, rotor, points, condenser and wires? If they are fairly old consider changing them out for new and see if the problem improves or stays the same. If no change then you have a fuel issue to solve. Sucking air in the tank instead of fuel, a a bad gas line, a plugged fuel filter, a bad fuel pump, a problem with the carb. Things to check.

Plugs wires points are solid. I’m going to focus on the fuel delivery. Seems like it’s fuel starved for initial start up but once the flow starts it’s ok

Pull the air horn off the car. Look inside and pull on the throttle linkage and see if gas is squirting in.
The air horn? On a Willys jeep? Can you give more information about what you mean?

Careful using starter fluid too much. Yep, when stone cold see if there is any fuel squirting in as the others mention.
When is the last time the carburetor was gone thru? How old is the fuel, filter issues, fuel tank clean? Carburetors are odd beings. I do not mess with them as the carb guy doesn't weld on live natural gas lines in the streets. I spent a small fortune recently having a FJ40 factory carb built by "the expert". Lasted 100 miles then went to sh--. There it is. The meaning of life

I just posted a reply to a similar question. Same problem with my truck when I bought it. Accelerator diaphragm was cracked and allowed fuel to drain into the engine. Might fire once if some fuel was still in a cylinder. I filled the bowl through the vent and then it started up. Was OK for the rest of the day since the leak was small.

You don't specifically say what carburetor you have but I think a stock 3a should have a Carter YF. I'm pretty sure accelerator pump diaphragm is only vacuum operated so pumping the gas pedal has no effect. Starting procedure is to pull the choke to create more vacuum and allow fuel to be pushed through the carb. Googling will give you plenty of information, whatever carb you have.
I agree with Lee, the diaphragms get stiff and crack. With ethanol fuel they only last a year or two. I would buy a new production rebuild kit and rebuild it yourself. It's not that hard if you take your time. There are YouTube videos to show you how. You really only need to replace the diaphragm, float valve and gaskets, although you can replace as much as you're comfortable with. And, very importantly check/set the float height. Buy a couple cans of carb cleaner and spray any and all orifices you can see. Add an inline fuel filter between the fuel tank and fuel pump. A switched inline fuel pump is also a convenient way to prime the system if it has been sitting a long time. Also, the kits come with parts for variations in models, you won't use them all.

Back