Gear Grinder
Dec 29, 2012
Cincinnati
First Name
Steve
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
Replaced starter, solenoid and voltage regulator last year... had a great two days 4 wheeling in my wagon then on the way home, it would not start / turn over. The amp meter was making some clicking sounds and the meter was flickering some while cruising around in the woods but no issues starting earlier in the day. I think it is the solenoid again. What should I check? I have a '53 wagon f-head... 6V, wiring not updated (maybe it is time)! Fortunately I was able to push start it to get home(!)

Does kinda sound like a selinoid. They are cheap swap it out and you can take that out of the decision. A starter motor can behave the same way. Hey are you going to make it up to Hueston Woods Friday or Satruday for the wilys get together. Look me up if you do. I have a 1960 Wagon with 1960 Indiana plates on it. Burgundy in color

Except it's a 6v solenoid, not exactly an "off the shelf" prospect. ;)

Simplest check for the solenoid is to take a heavy wire and short the battery post to the starter post - if it spins as normal, it's the solenoid, if not, you have other issues. Just make sure it's in neutral with key off and wheels blocked before doing that - no point in having the truck start in gear and run you over...

Back