Somerset CA Vintage 4x4 Run.

This is still a go. Rules are fairly simple. Only pre-75 non-built rigs allowed. Doesn’t have to be bone stock, but rigs with articulations that make your friends jealous, SOA with lockers and super swappers, etc are discouraged. In short, you need to not stand out amongst a group of stock rigs.

I’ve only hit the Saturday runs. The Saturday meeting spot is up in the air right now, but should get sorted out this weekend. I’ll update this thread when I get the info. Saturday launch time will be 9AM

Must-See video from a few years ago is HERE

It is usually easier going than what you see in the video. It all depends upon the mud and the snow gods.

If you’re rugged and want to camp, Ryan and Dave have put a bobcat to work and carved out 20 or so campsites on their cabin’s property. These are for tents and truck campers. RVs and trailers won’t make it to the cabin. Getting to the cabin that time of year usually requires 4wd.

Fun fact about the Cabin. All the wood to make it was brought up in the back of the family’s Willys Wagon. Siding looks sort of like patch work.

This is still a go. Rules are fairly simple. Only pre-75 non-built rigs allowed. Doesn’t have to be bone stock, but rigs with articulations that make your friends jealous, SOA with lockers and super swappers, etc are discouraged. In short, you need to not stand out amongst a group of stock rigs.
Funny, that Valiant doesn't exactly fit the "rules" starting with the SOA and the fact it hardly blends :)
Heading to Camino to pick up Willys' parts but not driving my Wagon. I guess me 'n the Sprinter could hang back with the Plymouth? ;)

Valiant is owned by one of the hosts and AFAIK has never actually been on the trip. I should add that eclectic is welcome.
Funny, that Valiant doesn't exactly fit the "rules" starting with the SOA and the fact it hardly blends :)
Heading to Camino to pick up Willys' parts but not driving my Wagon. I guess me 'n the Sprinter could hang back with the Plymouth? ;)

Last edited:
I'll be there with my CJ2A. I'm only a half hour away from the cabin, so I might also bring up the Weasel for local trail rides, and maybe the GTB ('43 Ford 1-1/2 ton cargo truck) if it's not too cold and wet. Most of the CJ guys go topless regardless of the weather. I drove a '43 GPW without the top last year and froze (yeah, I'm a warm weather type...) so I'm going back to the CJ with the hard top and heater for the Saturday run. There's plenty of activity before and after the main run, including a dinner on Friday night. Bring your own food and drink.

Dave

I’d love to see that Lancer/Valiant. My first car was a ‘64 Valiant with the next newer body style, but I always loved the look of that earlier version.

Since the event is only 8 days away, I figured it was time for an update.

Event is a go for Sat Feb. 20.

The event is pretty loosy-goosy. Pretty much follow the leader. We generally keep going higher and higher until the majority of the group cannot proceed. For all but one year, this has been on Mormon Immigrant Trail heading south towards Hwy 88. From there individuals will make runs at whatever snow bound hill has ceased forward progress with an occasional rescue via a tow strap. There has alway been a guy from so-cal who comes up with his UniMog. He is the one that ensures no one gets stuck so bad they can't get out.

We will start at Somerset CA. at around the 2,000 ft. elevation and go as high as around 5,000 ft on Morman Emigrant Trail (which is closed to all but 4X4 offroaders). Launch is at 9AM. Event ends at the optional dinner at a Roadhouse on HWY 50 around 5:30 (depends on fun/difficulty of trail). The area is forecasted to get about 2 inches of rain between now and then, at 5K ft, much of that will be snow.

The traditional meeting place is not available, so he has specified a turnout on the small road near their cabin. If you are trailering you will need to go up his driveway a fair bit to one of the few level places on his property to drop off. Parking there is limited, so once I have a count of the number of people trailering I will check with him on whether there is sufficient room. Of course their may be other places to unload ( Queue @Lookout Ranch ).

Since their cabin is full of family history and is unoccupied much of the time, he does not want to broadcast where his cabin is at on an open forum like this. If you are going, sign up here and I will PM you the details on where to meetup and drop off.

Cheers, Doug

Edit: Just talked to Ryan. He wanted to remind me that he has ample camping around his cabin for anyone that want's to. Let me know if you want to do that Friday and/or Saturday. He is expecting 30-40 rigs right now.

Last edited:
The parking options for trailered rigs at my place aren't great in the wet season. This is a good option -- the parking lot at Gold Oak School on Pleasant Valley Road. The part of it near the road isn't fenced or gated. It's not far to Somerset, and there's a market (with deli) and gas station on the way, in Pleasant Valley, and it's convenient for the dinner location, also in Pleasant Valley.

Gold Oak.JPG

GO-Somerset.JPG

Last edited:
I met the group and went ahead and found a spot for pictures. Unfortunately, part of the group was delayed and I missed getting shots of them.

0FF49132-BA7F-4D6B-8ABC-5F0AAC5091B5.jpeg

32C973DA-846D-4529-A730-E78BD93356E2.jpeg

151A9870-4542-4ED8-AB3D-A7300205D6B9.jpeg

46A01256-7F22-4FED-A8A9-A92C4D1E1A5E.jpeg

522BD64F-EA0C-4BFF-89D6-B93C57919543.jpeg

AF141C31-5BFF-4E9B-8685-B0192BED2370.jpeg

5A50AD94-538B-4F5F-A989-471588264D5D.jpeg

9B875E37-456D-432A-8C96-C5C9699E378E.jpeg

65626F9C-EBF4-48F7-A824-FC7FEA09B041.jpeg

E67FDBE6-FEEA-4F2C-9329-B2ADD6A7C756.jpeg

What is the year cutoff for vehicles?
There is no hard rule. Ryan has been into jeeps for 30 or so years and has collected many jeep friends. His love is for simple stockish flat fenders and such and that is the sort of rigs he encourages, but he won’t tell a friend of 20 years that owns one rig that he can’t come because he lifted his 2A or traded it for an 80s bronco. I have heard him give them crap about it though.

Back