Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Eric
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
Well,
Pete has managed to get us up and running with Skype being linked into member profiles. It will display if a user is online and allow you (if another Skype user) to open either an "Instant message chat" or a "video chat" .

There is still some fine tuning that needs to be done but it is up and running.

If not familiar with Skype, it's a free service for 1 on 1 video chatting and instant messaging, multiple user video chatting can be done with $$$. Otherwise it's free. You will need a webcam for video chatting. Once your account is created and you put in your user info on your profile page it will add an icon on the forum that other users can click on to start a chat or conversation with.

We figured this would be a good tool for the forum in a few different ways.
1. real time chatting with other users to shoot the breeze, or assist in troubleshooting
2. video assistance to do the same with troubleshooting
3. a chance for users to actually get to meet face to face via the web
4. anything else you can think of

Like I had mentioned, It is a FREE service that can allow us to use the technology that is available on the forum.

If you have questions or wanna try it out after getting signed up, shoot me a PM and I will do what I can to get you up and running on it.
With the PM just include you Skype User name.

Thanks.
Eric B
and
Pete

Just a note on the "Bug" in the setup...

When you are viewing a topic, on the left side of the page is each user's name and profile info next to their post. There is a row of icons at the bottom of this area for your user gallery, IM, etc, along with the new icon for Skype. When you click on the Skype icon, it will either initiate a Skype Call, or a Skype Chat, depending on the settings of the user that you want to contact.

This Skype icon may or may not work. It seems that Mac users will not be able to use this method of accessing the Skype feature. If you are using a PC, give it a try and let me know how it works.

The second method of using Skype on the forum, is to click on the user's profile of the person you want to contact. There is a text link in the profile that says "send a Skype message". This link opens a pop-up window with all several Skype options like call, chat, send file, etc. This method appears to work regardless of your operating system.

The Mac issue is not something that I can fix, and the folks that wrote the Skype code for the forum have no solution for this issue either.

That's it for now...

Pete

Willys Mod said:
are we able to use a mikropone when we video chat?

To use video chat, you need a web cam and microphone... unless you are a good mime :)

Pete

Skype Mod Update...

After a few hours of digging through the forum code, I think I finally have the Skype setup working the way I want it to, and the bugs have been sorted out.

When you are viewing a topic, on the left side under a user's name there is a row of icons for Instant Messaging, Gallery, etc. If the user has set up his/her Skype user name in their profile, a Skype icon will appear in this row as well.

To use the Skype feature, click on the icon. This will open a popup window. In this window, there is an online status icon to let you know if the user you want to message is available or not. Also in this window, is a list of options you can choose from, like Call, Chat, add to contacts, etc.

Give it a try, and let me know how it works... :cheers:

Pete

Back