United States
First Name
Luke
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Comrades:

As part of my quest to upgrade the brakes on my '62 Willys, I've been reading about Hydroboost units on the IH forum. Driven by the power steering unit instead of engine-developed vacuum, every unit I've seen so far mounts to the firewall.

This is not an option on my Willys. Has anyone developed a frame mounted version of Hydroboost?

Lando

Attachments

• 527306d1275841910-going-hydroboost-hydro_boost_003.jpg
    527306d1275841910-going-hydroboost-hydro_boost_003.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 234

yellowoctupus

Bigger Hammer
Jan 4, 2014
Kailua, HI - Colden, NY
First Name
Phil
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
This is not a frame mounted example, but I did a hydroboost conversion on my 280z using parts from SN-95 V8 Mustangs. I couldn't be happier. The brakes kick a** now. There is a plate that comes off the Ford booster unit that you could modify/weld to/bolt to etc to make it work pretty easily I think. The plate is held on with a big spanner nut, I think I just removed mine with a punch or something, I know I didn't make a spanner for it.

http://people.clarkson.edu/~mitchepj/280z14.html

61zep

Precision Fit
Oct 24, 2013
Shelton, Wa.
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
I have installed these systems on street rods and installed one on my wagon but I have relocated my steering so there was more room. The stock configuration does not give you enough room to put one in. I am developing a dual circuit master cylinder kit that fits in the stock location and will also be offering a dual remote hydro-vac that can be mounted anywhere. It is 5 1/2" and will fit inside the frame rail to hide it.

dahreno

Well Oiled
Mar 21, 2012
Reno
First Name
Dave
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
I have hydro boost in my 61 wagon but, it is not the stock configuration at all under the hood. It is however mounted on the fire wall, where modern vehicles have them. It stops all 4 38"x 14.5" wide tires with the greatest of ease. I also have hydro assist steering.

Sparky Powers

Supporting Vendor
Jul 18, 2010
Las vegas, NV
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I think that this would be a fairly easy conversion with some mechanical know how and some fab skills. I've mounted vacuum boost systems along side the frame rails with great success. I don't see why you couldn't mount a hydoboost in place of a vacuum booster in a bolt-on, weld-on or home brew frame mounted booster/pedal assemble. Granted this is if you have the real estate along side the frame rail and you will need to have new hoses made.

Typically on a vacuum system the booster/master cyclinder needs to be the highest point of the system. With adding a residual valve in-line now you can put the booster low on the frame. I don't see any reason why the hydroboost wouldn't follow the same rules.

Speedway Motor and many other companies sell systems like this.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1937-...IlkzHTrhEUabhqX53KXZTlsUQ9hInHvaeMaAksO8P8HAQ

61zep

Precision Fit
Oct 24, 2013
Shelton, Wa.
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
I have mounted a few hydro boost systems under the floor and they worked great you just need residual valves in the brake lines. 2lb for disc and 10lb for drum.

dahreno

Well Oiled
Mar 21, 2012
Reno
First Name
Dave
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
I installed hanging pedals in my wagon so, it worked out great on the fire wall.