Canada
First Name
Michael
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1947
happy to see a CJ section!

September 20th 2013 I purchased my 1947 CJ2A. This was not my first as I previously had and sold a 1948 CJ2A "Lefty" model for school, the CJ had lots of factory options so it hurt to see the rusty pile go. but so what! I have this beauty and I will complete its restoration!

follow along www.shnitzlhaus.com subscribe to!

trailering the jeep home with Sanchez, my trusty but rusty 1994 chevy silverado (he is now put to pasture) jeep body in the bed of the truck with lots of other parts

helps when you have a front end loader to do some heavy lifting! not like when I loaded that engine up with my back muscles .......

lets take a closer look at that neat extra engine! willys MB late model with a period correct marine conversion with a T84 transmission

what the jeep looked like, I quickly stripped off the plow harness to bring the clean frame back

send the frame to a local sandblaster to get stripped down ..... wait I was just going to do a preservation and drive this rusty jeep as is........ all spiraled out of control from this point forward

broken springs killed the hangers

so what I can weld.

bolts broke off in the frame! so what I can weld

now lets paint the frame

hummm whats next, I think I will buy all new gears and rebuild the T90 transmission

and I may as well film it so others can easily follow
[video=youtube_share;72fqfC5EXE8]http://youtu.be/72fqfC5EXE8[/video]

well the transmission is new, so I should probably do the same for that dana18.

I may as well film it so others can easily follow
[video=youtube_share;OocQ6EtB00g]http://youtu.be/OocQ6EtB00g[/video]

wow, someone was selling a new body a hop across the border..... why not! saves me a headache

a brief moment of encouragement

whats this? a model 100 and a pt1j pto! sure, why not!

okay lets stop buying things.... cant resist a warn overdrive!

lets do something more productive like rebuild the axles so we can get this frame rolling!

or not, you can just go buy a surplus completely rebuilt dana 44 off an M38.. thank you canadian forces!

okay but now what about the 25 front? (NOPE!!! JUST BOUGHT A DANA 30 Narrow track!)

really someone local is selling a buick v6 conversion? and my nighbour has a dauntless to sell...... okay fine.... but its going in storage for a willys truck!

Kaiser supersonic engine, its also painted gray...... but I might drop in a Kubota diesel!

NOS harness

Military M38 arctic top.
crap where is the picture.

follow along www.shnitzlhaus.com subscribe to!

Last edited:
Good to see your build thread here!

Thanks Pete! will be sure to keep it updated.
hopefully make some progress soon.

I think its time to get the axle's situated.
Dana 30 is waiting to be sent out for complete rebuild, and the Dana 44 should get some paint this weekend...

and if all goes to plan my Superlift 2.5'' kit should be here within a week or two, so you all should be seeing a how to video on installing that, stoked!
now if only I can settle on rims and tires this jeep might finally be able to power itself shortly! :)

and all the goodies for that D30 from YukonGear.... axles are expensive to rebuild!

Thanks Skip.

I will be running disk on the front, and planing on installing disks on the rear.
it makes sense, since I will be doing a dual master cylinder.

not a hole lot to write about, have made progress and experienced setbacks that were discouraging.
took a breather for awhile and now getting back at it.

some body touch up work. not going for a show vehicle. the MDJ body has a handful of noticeable waves and dings etc. probably will paint a matte colour so hopefully things won't stand out to terribly. had to do a few welds under the dash and unfortunately they show on the hood noticeably.

it was to be painted the thanksgiving past but the fellow at sherwin williams sold me the incorrect paint and I only realized months after.
this was a huge dissapointment and still is, killed my entire long weekend and the painters. and not impressed at the money lost. and thee reason why I needed to step back from the project.
moving forward the dupont imron retailer is now helping me choose the correct single stage paint I want. so hopefully spring the jeep will have its colour.

axle painted left drums as is, (planning on disks)

super lift 2.5 inch lift.

few setbacks on my end. mainly the spring hangers. mostly sorted out now, likely replace spring hangers sometime down the road. I should do those now but I have some confidence they will work out and I do not feel like messing with them. ( I will be saying that down the road when I have to do them on a car hoist lmao :rolleyes:)

so now just waiting to finnish rebuilding the dana 30, that has been a delay also. hopefully it goes well as I am still working on it

also purchased a second hard top.

so the mechanical portion is just about done, just need the steering put back together then purchase the dual master cylinder and plumb the brakes

made a yoke holder and a case spreader

[video]https://youtu.be/vbF7Vwhu-64[/video]

then ran some patterns, farthest to the right is my last attempt and I think I will run it. unless someone suggests otherwise?
(click the image to go to photo bucket and make it larger if needed)

The gear set up looks good to me, are those the doors under the hard top?

Skip

Good! Although I am now accustom to trying new patterns it's repetitive and getting old haha

Yes doors and the windshield everything is aluminum but the windshield. It's a nice setup and I can't wait till its on the Jeep

wanted to make some shifters on a lazy day

[video]https://youtu.be/acevBL6erAc[/video]

Very nice, I have some of those door knobs and didn't have any thing to do with them, until now. Also like your calipers, I have not seen ones that will go from decimal to fraction. What kind are they and where did you get them. Now keep in mind that the best store close to me is Tractor Supply so I'll have to get them online.

Skip

Hey Skip.

thanks, I sure thought they were a great addition to the transfer case, I need ideas for the T90 shifter! that is a taper with no thread, what to do?

calipers,
inch/mm/fractional
I am certain you could find these at your local machinist tool supplier? tho starrett or mitutoyo might be costly.

anyhow our local "princess auto" the equivalent to Harbour Freight stocks these as there professional in house brand. they do ship if your hard pressed to find them.

8 inch
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/8-in-metal-fractional-digital-caliper/A-p8372070e

or 6
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/6-in-metal-fractional-digital-caliper/A-p8372062e

"thanks, I sure thought they were a great addition to the transfer case, I need ideas for the T90 shifter! that is a taper with no thread, what to do?"

Can you turn it down so that a thread can be put on or build it up so that it can be threaded? The other option would be to cut it off and weld a new lever on that has threads or can be threaded.

Skip

I have contemplated those.
I think welding a bolt then putting a sleeve over it will work well, gets rid of the risk of it snapping off at the weld.

or make a tight fit to whatever shift knob I use and then drill into the knob and towers cane to fit a roll pin.

not much happening, just ordered all the new disc parts for the front of the Dana 30 should have them saturday.

also have a order from Hermtheoverdriveguy.com :)

anyhow have a few Dana 30 spindles kicking around and thought I should clean them up and check the OD's where the bearings and seals sit.

A much needed update.
I have received my order from www.Hermtheoverdriveguy.com
I cannot say enough about the kind and professional service provided :) I am making an additional order with hopefully a powerlok for the dana 44 with a few more goodies.
I will have a very productive summer and hope to bring you all along! videos on the installs will come in short time.

Key hitters
- 30 spline full floating kit
- full float disc brakes
- dual master cylinder
- ford reverse steering
- borgeson steering kit and column adapter

videos to follow on www.shnitzlhaus.com

Back