Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
This is more of me venting than a post. I bought this 62 Willy's Wagon off of craigslist... John, the seller, was very helpful taking my numerous calls, sending pictures and taking additional pictures. We struck a deal. Now I had to find a shipper...Ebay has preferred shippers, so I called two of them...struck a deal with one and told them the vehicle is ready to be picked up as of Oct. 14. I'm guessing ( or hoping ) this is normal wait time, but I'm chopping at the bit to receive it!The Wagon is in Denver and is going to Atlanta. I sent them an email this AM, maybe the squeaky wheel will get some grease. Can't a guy catch a break...I just want to play with my Willy.

Re: Shipping Vehicle

62 OlllO said:
...I'm chopping at the bit to receive it!...

Anticipation... I haven't bought a car that I've had shipped, but I've sold a couple over the years that were shipped out and had a car that I won delivered about a year ago. Waiting and waiting for the guy with the truck to show up was a killer. Just think, it will by like Christmas day when your '62 shows up at your door...

Pete

It shouldn't take to much time to dismantle it when it finally gets here....I've already dismantled it and rebuilt it every night for the past week plus. When it first gets here I will over-look the problem areas my eye didn't catch from the pictures, I'll get the bucket and hose out and give it a warm bath, I might even turn the ignition key over to see if it starts. I will look closely at the window rubber for leaks and cracks, closing each door gently until it latches. I will sit in the drivers seat and roll down the window as if I was going somewhere...."not yet girl, slow down now, I'm just trying to get to know ya"...at that point I shall look down and see the cement floor of the garage..."Old girl you're hurt...but I can fix you right up, just hang in there."
I'll lift the hood and stare at the engine compartment, checking all fluids as a nurse would check the pulse of her patient. There's not much "sparkle" under this hood...my patient has some issues......I'm dreaming now...I still don't have my Willy here, I shall go to bed with a small tear in my eye.

I talked to the transport company today (out of Cincinnati), the girl who was supposedly handling my shipping no longer works there... so nothing was being done. Because the vehicle isn't on a major freeway, the truckers don't want the job...but they said their service is door to door...I'm getting a real bad feeling here.Today is the 13'th day they have had the order.

So where exactly is it then?
Did they happen to give you anything in writing stating the terms with any time frame?

If they haven't done anything maybe you can cancel them and find someone else...........

Vehicle is sitting in Conifer, CO (outside of Denver)...everyone has been paid and I do have a contract. Their contract protects them not me, other words they don't have a specific time period they have to pick it up... I can only cancel them after 15 days and I'm coming up to the 15 days. I talked to Express Auto Transport this morning and didn't get the impression that they weren't working on it. Their representative told me they are offering the drivers more money to transport it. EAT excuse is it is out of the truckers way...blaaa, blaaa, blaaa...not near a major freeway. If I cancel I'm surely would have to pay another firm more money plus the hassle on getting them to credit my account. It sounded as if they are trying and perhaps today something positive will happen.

Here's your forlorn wagon... I was wondering what happened to all the snow. We were supposed to get 6-12 inches but it missed us and went to Denver...

Hope you get the shipping sorted out-

Pete

Attachments

• 62 Willy\'s Wagon.jpg
    62 Willy\'s Wagon.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 173

Thanks to the former owner, who sent me the above picture and to Pete for getting it posted for me...you can see my new opportunity sitting in Colorado...I call the photo....."White on White Crime"....pick your reason 1.) The former owner should have known I was a Willy-olic 2.) The transport company are babies and think a little snow justifies them from honoring their contract and picking it up 3.) Having a white Willy's means that when it breaks down in the snow you can't see it 4.) Having it sit in Colorado means I can not touch it, thus saving the Willys from my artistic thoughts and hands. 5. Maybe it will ship next Spring
Have you gone to the Members Map and placed your flag....I'm hoping that East of the Mississippi will out number the West!!!
Maybe I will have a contest and provide a suitable prize for the winning section....
In transporting a vehicle...I've learned that the transport people all lie...the job of the broker is bid cheap - worry about fulfilling the contract later. The trucker picking it up doesn't want to because your vehicle is 25 miles off the freeway. There are only 3 stops the trucker wants...1.) pick-up your vehicle off an exit at Walmart 2.) Stop for Food, Sleep, Fuel 3.) Destination
They have me by the #@%$ and I just have to wait it out....tick, tick, tick....

Hang in there! I'm sure it will be worth waiting for. The shop that has mine has not started on it yet so I am waiting too, but at least I can go by and visit.

Imposter71.....reading your post made me think I should give you my thoughts on shops...stop by the shop weekly and check on the progress or lack of....shops love to take the business in but are slow getting it out, making you believe they have three of their best guys on it. Make sure the shop know... "this ain't your first rodeo".
"The destination is the end of the journey.....I love long journeys, may my journey end with the Lord..."

I have to pass this place everyday on my way home from work. I am planning on stopping in today. Don't know about where you are but it is hard for me to find somepne that even wants( and is knowledgeable) to work on this stuff.

There has been quite a few older cars at this place and they did some good work for me once before, and that leads me to beleive they should be fine. I should never have told them to take their time.

Recently found out about another shop here though that is worth checking into. Stopped by to see them one day and they had a 96 Impala SS, 60's mustang, 90's 5.0 stang, old nova drag car, and another looked like a Nova II in there all being worked on. Let come back into the shop, and gave the impression of really enjoying working on the old ones.

Goal is to learn to do as much as I can myself but time, tools, and money stand in the way sometimes.

Just curious - haven't heard if you finally got your wagon or not. Hope it is going/went well.
When you get a chance, give us an update ( with pics of course if you have them!)

My 62 Willys is STILL IN COLORADO....the transport people have giving me every excuse...I was told that my pre-paid pick-up was the problem now...so I have offered a $100.00 bill extra COD to the driver on Monday of this week....haven't heard a word yet. The seller has been super during this time, but I'm at the end of my patience...Company is Express Auto Transport out of Ohio....

Dang... I was hoping you'd be tinkering under the hood by now... Maybe your seller should just drive it over to my place and I can "store" it for you for the winter... :D

That's my BABY, I couldn't live without it here in Georgia. I'm going to look into flying to Colorado and driving it back, anyone want a ride?

That would definately be an adventure.

Don't know if any of you have multiple addictions, but I used to have a CJ-8 Scrambler and there is a guy on that site that picked up a Postal CJ-8 ( RH drive) and drove it back from Alaska to Durham NC.

Here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.rockcrawler.com/trailreports ... /index.asp

62 OlllO said:
That's my BABY, I couldn't live without it here in Georgia. I'm going to look into flying to Colorado and driving it back, anyone want a ride?

I think this would be an awesome adventure... assuming it is roadworthy...

I did a 3,300 mile road trip in my '50 Plymouth a couple of years ago with my 9 year old son and it was a trip we will remember forever.

I say go for it and to hell with the lousy shipping company-

Pete

My 62 Willys Wagon will be here on Monday 11/16/09.....I'll have some of it torn apart by 5 pm EST...I can't wait...it took the transport company 32 days...I think that is very poor service!

The '62 Wagon is here, my first impression of it - I'd call it a 50 footer...it took the transport company 32 days to get this Wagon from Denver to Atlanta.
First thing I did was put some gas in it before I drove it to the car wash... the gas poured on to the ground...bad rubber neck....the pump read 2 gallons, I figure 1 1/2 in the tank and 1/2 gallons on the ground. This vehicle has 4 levers on the floor....1. is the gear shifter 2. 2 wheel/4wheel 3. Hi/low 4. Overdrive - I thought I had an airplane.. Now for a guy who knows nothing about all these levers, getting to the car wash and back was an experience...I stayed in 3'rd gear start to finish. After it dried off, I crawled all over it , under it, in it for two hours of inspection...to say I lost the lead in my pencil over this wagon is putting it mild...I'm thankful I don't have a bunch of money in it, so I'm lucky. As it is, I would call it unsafe to drive....the steering column lower bushing is not there - they welded the column to firewall to stiffen it up some, steering linkage has a drift at 30 mph, left quarter has been replaced and is rusted again...Didn't these come with a fuse panel??? can't seem to find one, antifreeze leaks from radiator and heater core...I will be welding new metal into this vehicle for sometime, perhaps with all the time I will be with her, we can become friends. Right now, she's is just an acquaintance...there's no love! I'll post some pictures in my gallery soon...Where is the serial number tag???? I've got a title, but haven't found the numbers on the wagon. There a some real GOOD things regarding the Wagon...it just will take time to make it great.

62 OlllO said:
...there's no love!

Man, I feel for ya... I've bought two vehicles sight unseen, and I was very disappointed both times.

I hope you can make something of your purchase that you will be happy with... Sounds like you will have lots for Tech Week ;)

Looking forward to the pictures!

Pete

Back