May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Kurt
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957

I'm curious what others have done for a boot to fit the overdrive lever. I've looked around on a couple of the vendor sites and haven't seen anything made to fit, so people must be solving for this on their own.

The previous owner of my rig used a flat piece of rubber that goes under the two-hole boot for the transfer case levers. It's not very elegant, but it worked. I'm sure others have come up with some nice solutions, and I'd appreciate seeing or hearing about it.

By the way, for those who haven't seen this set-up, the overdrive lever is to the silver one in the picture above. This is a Husky overdrive, which is very similar to the Warn and Saturn design. The previous owner enlarged the floor cover-plate opening for transfer case levers slightly to accommodate the overdrive lever, and the retainer that holds the boot goes around all three of those levers.

Attachments

• 2015-06-27 Willys Shifter.jpg
    2015-06-27 Willys Shifter.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Kurt
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Speaking of boots, I ordered a new one for the T-90 shifter, but the one that arrived from Walck's is way too short. When I slide it all the way down, the bottom is still a good 3/4-inch off the floor, so there's no way to screw it down with the retainer. My old one is rotted and falling apart, but it's clearly cut more generously than the new one.

What's going on? Do I have an unusually tall shifter tower?Is my floor supposed to be higher?

Oliver Hevvy

Precision Fit
Jun 21, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area, California
First Name
Oliver
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
I've seen boots made from heavy cloth, like denim. You make a round or rectangular metal plate as a hold-down, and you sweet-talk your wife into sewing the cloth into a sort of cone shape, with a hemmed flange edge to clamp under the metal.

ON my old Chevy pickup, I used a rubber fork gaiter from a motorcycle. Not super elegant but it worked.

ChrisR

Sharpest Tool
Feb 21, 2014
Athol, ID
First Name
Chris
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
I go without one ;) probably not the answer you wanted

ChrisR

Sharpest Tool
Feb 21, 2014
Athol, ID
First Name
Chris
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
With all the holes in the floorboards and firewall one little boot won't make much difference lol
But I'm interested in finding options while I've got my tranny out!

gasoil

Precision Fit
Aug 9, 2013
Vermont
First Name
Phil
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
May be able to go to a Cobbler or an upolster. Maybe they could make something for you.
Just a thought.

gkesseru

Sharpest Tool
Oct 14, 2014
Pine, Co
First Name
Gabor
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
Do a search for shift boot on Ebay. There are tons made for sports cars.

lbpa18

Precision Fit
Nov 9, 2013
Alaska & Utah
First Name
Lew
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
In the airplane world where the stick has to move fore and aft as well as left and right, the hole in the floor is larger than what you have by a long shot. As mentioned above, although usually out of leather, a tube is sewed, like a sleave from a shirt, made that fits the floor hole dimension. Then taper it up to the stick (shift levers in your case, but with room to move each one), use a velcro closure at the top to tighten against the stick (shift levers), and for access (we are required to inspect the stick at least once per year), and it looks professional. Not much different than a european sportscar shift lever but not out of rubber. You wont need to worry the height of your tower either. I think it will look fine.

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Kurt
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
That's probably the way to go, my wife is pretty handy with a sewing machine and has done some work with leather over the years. She likes the Willys, so she'll enjoy doing something nice for it.

gkesseru

Sharpest Tool
Oct 14, 2014
Pine, Co
First Name
Gabor
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
Ebay is full of leather shift boots for about $10 each.......

lbpa18

Precision Fit
Nov 9, 2013
Alaska & Utah
First Name
Lew
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1959
Just saw this on eWillys. Might be an option worth considering. Not original, but certainly classy.

Attachments

• 1946-cj2a-ramona-ca98.jpg
    1946-cj2a-ramona-ca98.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 150

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Kurt
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
Speaking of boots, I ordered a new one for the T-90 shifter, but the one that arrived from Walck's is way too short. When I slide it all the way down, the bottom is still a good 3/4-inch off the floor, so there's no way to screw it down with the retainer. My old one is rotted and falling apart, but it's clearly cut more generously than the new one.

What's going on? Do I have an unusually tall shifter tower?Is my floor supposed to be higher?

I've discovered that my transmission is, in fact, mounted too high. I noticed this yesterday when working underneath. The access hole on the floor of the cab that is supposed to line up with the shaft on which the transfer case levers pivot doesn't line up -- it is too low.

It appears that the transmission mount may be too tall. It's almost like there's an extra spacer, or two mounts stacked, or the wrong mount was used. I'm not sure.

What is this supposed to look like (besides clean and oil-free)? Does anyone have a pic of what this mount should look like on a '57 wagon?

Attachments

• 2015-07-26 Willys Transmission Mount.jpg
    2015-07-26 Willys Transmission Mount.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 130

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Kurt
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
I guess my question is, is that metal spacer between the rubber mount and the supporting cross-bar supposed to be there?

Attachments

• 2015-07-26 Willys Transmission Mount 2.jpg
    2015-07-26 Willys Transmission Mount 2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 124

Garth

Well Oiled
Dec 26, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
First Name
Garth
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Carter not sure, but here is a picture of mine when I had removed it still atrached to the cross member. there us the the rubber mount, a flat metal bar that spans the the top of the mount and then another metal adapter that sits on the metal bar.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 116

Garth

Well Oiled
Dec 26, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
First Name
Garth
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
here is picture of the adapter that mounts against the transmission and into the cross member as shown on the pic above

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 112