Sand, Sage and Summits: Ramble in the Great Basin

I am very surprised at the amount of greenery and water out there in the middle of NV. From my travelling experiences across 80 and 50, I thought NV was all brown desert. Thanks for the enlightenment Carter. I have been following your adventure on Google Maps. Looks like you made it about halfway across the state.
This is a dry year. In a wet year it can be amazing.

This is a dry year. In a wet year it can be amazing.
It's been dry in the valley, Feb was one of the driest ever. But Sierra Snow fall results for 2019-2020 winter came in at 315 to 400 inches, 33 feet of snow in the Central to Northern Sierras and the foothills got some heavy snow in March. Gold Run 500 ft elevation below me has 35.64" of rain, while the Central Nev Desert at Ruby Lake measured 8.59"

Last edited:
To follow up further, here is the thread where the transmission issues are discussed in more detail:
https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/what’s-wrong-with-my-transmission.18267/

Also, after arriving home, my son and I transferred our gear to my Forester and headed back out. We were able to visit Lamoille Canyon in the Ruby Mountains and get close to Jarbidge before being blocked by snow once again.

We saw lots of pronghorn, experienced an amazing dark night sky camped out in the high desert, and the wildflowers in northern Nevada were outstanding with whole hillsides covered by mules ear sunflowers.

Interestingly, the Forester also developed mechanical issues — a high speed steering shake on the way home, after many miles of dirt roads, due to a failed control arm bushing.

Back