Sharpest Tool
Aug 28, 2019
Denver, CO
First Name
James
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Headed to the Rollins Pass area - it used to be a RR grade that went from NW Denver area (Rollinsville) to Winter Park. It included some trestles and and least one tunnel....Eventually the RR re-routed through the Moffat tunnel (still from Rollinsville to Winter Park), and the old grade became a road...
[IMG]

At some point, the trestles became unsafe, a jeep rolled off a section of rd bypassing the trestles and the tunnel was blocked off (or some thing like that), and east side of the pass was closed at the Needles Eye Tunnel...The west side of the pass is open all the way from Irving to Corona - its just the short section between the tunnel and the pass that had the trestles that is closed. Both sides of the pass are essentially bumpy 2wd road (bumpy enough to break my batter tray mount on the way down). Anyway, we made a bit of a loop/lollipop and drove up the east side from Newcomb to about Antelope, where we took an alternate 4wd route up Jenny Creek Rd (not shown on map) that goes to the north and east of the old RR grade and ends at yankee doodle lake. We then drove the rest of the way up to the tunnel (well, about 1/2 mile from it where the road is closed), and then hiked up to the tunnel etc...If the weather hadn't been windy and cold (40s with 30-40 mph wind), we might have walked all the way to Corona, but after 30 min or so we headed back. Took the old RR grade all the way back to Newcomb. These are the kind of trips I'd love to take the wagon on one day...

Heading off the old RR grade onto Jenny Creek Rd:
[IMG]

Anyone want some firewood - the FS even cut it into nice small sections for you:
[IMG]

At eye of the needle lake where to two trails join back together:
[IMG]

The tunnel from near jenny Lake:
[IMG]

End of the rd:
[IMG]

Looking north - we could see a plume of smoke from the Cameron Pk fire:
[IMG]

Heading Down - I always like shots in old rock cuts...
[IMG]

KLankford

Precision Fit
Dec 27, 2011
Albany, Wyoming
First Name
Kenny
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I didn't realize the Moffat Tunnel was that old (completed in 1928). I worked up there over ten years ago. Looking at your trip, the railroad bed looked too old to be what I invisioned.

FinoCJ

Sharpest Tool
Aug 28, 2019
Denver, CO
First Name
James
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Is the Moffat miles long?
Its just over 6 miles long....If you ride the Amtrak west out of Denver, you go through it. I rode the train to Glenwood Springs a few years ago as part of a family trip for a long weekend in Glenwood. Its one of the most scenic sections of the rail - it goes west up the front range through south boulder creek canyon with lots of winding turns and tunnels etc, and then makes the climb up to Moffat. The west portal of moffat is right at Winter Park - the daily ski train used it every day for years from Denver to Winter Park. Then it works north a bit and then follows the Colorado river through Gore Canyon and then Glenwood Canyon....I've never ridden it past Glenwood. My wife and I have family near Milwaukee, and we keep thinking we want to take the Amtrak overnight to Chicago for a week. See the city a bit and then visit family. In addition to riding trains around Europe, I got to spend over a week (3 different 3-day sections) riding the Trans-siberian railway across eastern Russia, Mongolia, through the Gobi desert and into China....Train travel is amazing.