Signsmith

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Dana
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
tires on the truck now
I have a bunch of 15 in rims. Which one of these should I use. Plus which tires to use for an original look and best ride. Going to be daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

diggerG

Well Oiled
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Looks to me that the top pic is an original 16" x 5 wheel and the bottom is a 15" wheel from lots of Jeeps around 60's-70's.
I could be mistaken on either though.
Just what is wrong with the tires on the truck now?
diggerG

Signsmith

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Dana
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
The pictures of the rims they are both 15 in. which pattern is original to the wagon.

Signsmith

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Dana
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
The 16 in rims on the truck the truck has been sitting for years and there are flat spots on the tires. If I’m replacing tires I’d rather put the original size rims back on it but we would prefer to put a radial tire on any suggestions

diggerG

Well Oiled
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
The original rims were not safety bead wheels for the wagon, except maybe the last run in the60's. I think they were 15 x 4 1/2". Later Jeeps used 5" or 5 1/2" wide safety bead wheels. If you're putting new tires and other wheels I would certainly go with safety bead, especially with the radials. Your bottom pictured wheel probably is safety bead. The other maybe is also. You can tell by a lip around the bead that the tire needs to pop over to seat.
diggerG

Signsmith

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Dana
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Both of the rims that I have have the same lip I think you’re talking about so which pattern is correct. The one looks like it has a more defined scallop then the other.

diggerG

Well Oiled
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
there are slight differences. A matched set of 4 is usually a good idea. I have some if you want. let me know
diggerG

cwdtmmrs

Well Oiled
First Name
Tim
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
The pictures of the rims they are both 15 in. which pattern is original to the wagon.

I don't think any of the rims pictured are original Wagon rims.

gimbelsjeep

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Sean duffy
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Dana,

The Uniroyal tire in your original post photo would be a tire I would consider purchasing for road driving. Not necessarily that tire but similar. As long as it is a light truck tire and not a car tire. I am a street driver these days and an aggressive off road tread is undesirable for me.

For the record all the prior posts have good info. I can say the same thing about original Willys rims, Just because you got one does not mean it is any good for the road. It may be fine for the trail. Put the rim on a wheel balancer machine before you mount your tires and check. I had to buy a set of new inexpensive rims just like the one in your first photo to keep me on the road some thirty years ago. It made a world of difference. If one rim is bent you feel it when two or more are bent you live it.

Signsmith

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Dana
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Dana,

The Uniroyal tire in your original post photo would be a tire I would consider purchasing for road driving. Not necessarily that tire but similar. As long as it is a light truck tire and not a car tire. I am a street driver these days and an aggressive off road tread is undesirable for me.

For the record all the prior posts have good info. I can say the same thing about original Willys rims, Just because you got one does not mean it is any good for the road. It may be fine for the trail. Put the rim on a wheel balancer machine before you mount your tires and check. I had to buy a set of new inexpensive rims just like the one in your first photo to keep me on the road some thirty years ago. It made a world of difference. If one rim is bent you feel it when two or more are bent you live it.
Thanx. I’m going to try running the uniroyals for now. Going to check the narrow slot rims and want to use an old look radial for it.

diggerG

Well Oiled
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I don't think any of the rims pictured are original Wagon rims.
I think the bottom is the first series after the wagon (CJ and wagoner) or the last 62-64 wagons. The top one doesn't ring a bell. Could be anything.
diggerG