Gear Grinder
Jul 16, 2020
Sweden
First Name
Christian
Willys Model
Forward Control
Willys Year:
I've started work on the FC and could use some help. As said, I'm a total newbie with these cars.
I guess I need to remove the large nut on the driveshaft to remove the brake drum?20200726_191554.jpg

-57 FC170

Gear Grinder
Jul 16, 2020
Sweden
First Name
Christian
Willys Model
Forward Control
Willys Year:
I measured it to 52mm, or is it 2 inch? Is it the same size on the rear axle as well?

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joseph
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
The outer nut should have a washer behind it which is bent over two nut flats. Straighten out the washer, remove outer nut, remove washer, remove inner nut, gently pull hub/drum and dislodge outer bearing, remove outer bearing, remove hub/drum. You will want a 4wd spindle socket. Trust me, get the correct tool. Mine measures out to 2 1/16".
20200726_104426.jpg

Read drum axle nut on my Dana 53 is 1.5". You rear end might be a Dana 44 or other. Perhaps others will chime in if those have different size axle nuts.
20200726_104411.jpg

Buuut, the hub is pressed onto the tapered axle shaft so you need a hub puller. Once again, get the correct tool. You might damage parts or yourself by not using the correct tools. BTW, that hub is often REALLY on there. Leave the axle nut on with a few threads engaged. Otherwise, sometimes the puller and hub go flying across the room when the hub finally let's go. Yes, they can be that tight.
This shows my puller with only one leg attached. Mine has three legs. Other designs have more.
20200726_104508.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited:

-57 FC170

Gear Grinder
Jul 16, 2020
Sweden
First Name
Christian
Willys Model
Forward Control
Willys Year:
Thanks for the information. I got the large socket for the front axle in the mail today. I'll update once I get things going again

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Carter
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Thanks for the information. I got the large socket for the front axle in the mail today. I'll update once I get things going again
That big old socket will come in handy for more than the front spindle nuts. The rear face of it is a great size for driving in the front and rear output shaft seals on the transfer case, for example, and the socket is a good base for when you want to press off an old bearing from the front output shaft.

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Carter
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
The outer nut should have a washer behind it which is bent over two nut flats. Straighten out the washer, remove outer nut, remove washer, remove inner nut, gently pull hub/drum and dislodge outer bearing, remove outer bearing, remove hub/drum. You will want a 4wd spindle socket. Trust me, get the correct tool. Mine measures out to 2 1/16".
View attachment 79608

Read drum axle nut on my Dana 53 is 1.5". You rear end might be a Dana 44 or other. Perhaps others will chime in if those have different size axle nuts.
View attachment 79609

Buuut, the hub is pressed onto the tapered axle shaft so you need a hub puller. Once again, get the correct tool. You might damage parts or yourself by not using the correct tools. BTW, that hub is often REALLY on there. Leave the axle nut on with a few threads engaged. Otherwise, sometimes the puller and hub go flying across the room when the hub finally let's go. Yes, they can be that tight.
This shows my puller with only one leg attached. Mine has three legs. Other designs have more.
View attachment 79610

Good luck!
The rear axle nuts on my wagon are 1-7/16”, but that’s a Dana 44 axle, lighter than the 53 on your truck.

-57 FC170

Gear Grinder
Jul 16, 2020
Sweden
First Name
Christian
Willys Model
Forward Control
Willys Year:
That big old socket will come in handy for more than the front spindle nuts. The rear face of it is a great size for driving in the front and rear output shaft seals on the transfer case, for example, and the socket is a good base for when you want to press off an old bearing from the front output shaft.
That's good to know! Thanks.
I got the front drums and bearings off, I got a puller similiar to the one posted above and I'll try to get the rear ones off tomorrow.

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joseph
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
That's good to know! Thanks.
I got the front drums and bearings off, I got a puller similiar to the one posted above and I'll try to get the rear ones off tomorrow.
Unless you are extraordinarily fortunate, pulling the rear hubs requires force and patience. Above all, protect your body. You're dealing with a LOT of stored energy in the puller. I highly recommend safety glasses and gloves.

-57 FC170

Gear Grinder
Jul 16, 2020
Sweden
First Name
Christian
Willys Model
Forward Control
Willys Year:
Got the rear drums off using the puller and an impact wrench. The drums on the driver side are full of grease, I guess some kind of drive shaft seals have failed.20200810_184835.jpg20200810_184823.jpg

Lookout Ranch

Well Oiled
All-Star
May 9, 2015
Sierra Foothills
First Name
Carter
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Got the rear drums off using the puller and an impact wrench. The drums on the driver side are full of grease, I guess some kind of drive shaft seals have failed.View attachment 80590View attachment 80591
Did it sit for a long time with the right side downhill? It will likely need new seals just about everywhere. By the way, there’s a good chance the inner axle seals on the back are leather, something we don’t see much anymore.

willysmn

Gear Grinder
Sep 11, 2013
New Mexico
First Name
Pruit
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
You need to be careful when reinstalling the rear hubs. slide the hub on and THEN install the key in the keyway. If you install the key firest, then the hub, you have a good chance of cracking the hub at the keyway when you tighten the nut to 175 lb-ft.