Resurrecting the '57 ranch truck

Just catching up on your thread. Looking back at the photos where you pulled the manifolds off, there is no sign that the exhaust manifold was leaking either at the ports or at the flange. In fact you can see that the flange was sealing on the manifold side. I also seriously doub't that the fuel pump was overheating, but there's a first time for everything. What I do see is that the road draft tube on the lifter cover had been cut off. It should be about a foot longer. What your friend likely saw was blowby coming out of the stub behind the fuel pump, not exhaust. This won't make the pump overheat but it will eventually cause an oily mess and not ventilate the crankcase properly leading to sludge buildup. Also, the glass bowl fuel filter is not original (yes it's made by Carter, and yes it's old). The problem with a large fuel filter like this is they act like an expansion chamber and heat sink. Hot fuel under pressure won't boil or cause vapor lock, but hot fuel that is suddenly not under pressure will. You want the fuel to stay under pressure until it reaches the carburetor needle seat. I'm saying this because I found one of those filters back in high school, thought it would look cool and put it on. Hot soak restart problems soon followed and off it came again. My fuel pump packed it in soon after that, which was also probably part of the problem. The Airtex style pumps work better in my experience anyhow. I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same combination of issues. Try eliminating the glass fuel filter, and don't be shocked if you just need a new fuel pump.

Just catching up on your thread. Looking back at the photos where you pulled the manifolds off, there is no sign that the exhaust manifold was leaking either at the ports or at the flange. In fact you can see that the flange was sealing on the manifold side. I also seriously doub't that the fuel pump was overheating, but there's a first time for everything. What I do see is that the road draft tube on the lifter cover had been cut off. It should be about a foot longer. What your friend likely saw was blowby coming out of the stub behind the fuel pump, not exhaust. This won't make the pump overheat but it will eventually cause an oily mess and not ventilate the crankcase properly leading to sludge buildup. Also, the glass bowl fuel filter is not original (yes it's made by Carter, and yes it's old). The problem with a large fuel filter like this is they act like an expansion chamber and heat sink. Hot fuel under pressure won't boil or cause vapor lock, but hot fuel that is suddenly not under pressure will. You want the fuel to stay under pressure until it reaches the carburetor needle seat. I'm saying this because I found one of those filters back in high school, thought it would look cool and put it on. Hot soak restart problems soon followed and off it came again. My fuel pump packed it in soon after that, which was also probably part of the problem. The Airtex style pumps work better in my experience anyhow. I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same combination of issues. Try eliminating the glass fuel filter, and don't be shocked if you just need a new fuel pump.
I used to find that gas in the fuel pump would vaporize when I stopped, and the pump had trouble re-pressurizing until it cooled. It was a constant problem at slow speed, like when 4-wheeling. To fix it, I made a little insulated "hat" for my Airtex fuel pump from a welding blanket, to shield it from the exhaust manifold just above, and also added a 1/8" phenolic spacer between the fuel pump and the block. Since then I've only had one such vapor lock event -- and that was after repeated engine stops (for pictures) on a long, hot 4wd climb at high elevation.

PS - I also insulated the air line from the windshield wiper motor. This line passes very near the entire length of the exhaust manifold, and any air passing through it is then drawn, via intake manifold vacuum, into the upper, air pump portion of the fuel pump.

Last edited:
Not much to report but there are little things happening. Mostly waiting for the Big Brown truck this evening.

Been soaking and cleaning hardware. I intensely dislike putting stuff together dirty and rusty. Just me. If you disagree, oh well.
20220527_115758.jpg

My Mr Ass-ket fuel pressure gauge failed. Here is it's reading disconnected from anything. Slightly inaccurate.
20220527_115803.jpg

Bought a shiny new, liquid filled Earls gauge. Once again, if you disagree with using a gauge that is certainly your freedom to have that opinion.
20220527_115820.jpg

Warn linkage painted, greased and reassembled. To those familiar, does this look correct? I reassembled basically the way I found it.
20220527_115909.jpg

Side of engine painted and I pressure washed everything on the side of the engine and under the truck that I could reach. Yes, before the comments, I covered the tappet area and fuel pump hole.
20220527_115929.jpg

The happy couple waiting for the gaskets so they can renew their vows.
20220527_115945.jpg

and that's about all until tonight/tomorrow.

Joe out.

I agree, I saw no obvious exhaust leak areas.
Yes, Kurt educated me about the draft tube. I plan to add an extension and buy a correct cover to install later.

Not arguing here. Fuel line to carb, bowl and carb were not hot. Definitely warm but not blazing hot. Inside carb was hot though as some fuel dribbled into the carb for priming, would vaporize. I may try to block off the heat riser holes in the exhaust manifold. There is no butterfly/shaft assembly in there.

I also found my rubber fuel line to the pump inlet was not tight. Maybe that could have contributed to my issue. Possibly the pump was sucking some air. Of course, I'll be sure to tighten upon reassembly.

You do know that nothing last forever. Not even a Mr. Gasket fuel gauge. It looks to me like you've had it since High School, Or maybe your Dad did. And it's not even liquid cooled. I have a Fuel pressure gauge under the dash on my Dodge pick up, and two on the 1955 Olds. one under the dash and one on the firewall. But I did find Liquid filled gauges that only read to 30 PSI

You do know that nothing last forever. Not even a Mr. Gasket fuel gauge. It looks to me like you've had it since High School, Or maybe your Dad did. And it's not even liquid cooled. I have a Fuel pressure gauge under the dash on my Dodge pick up, and two on the 1955 Olds. one under the dash and one on the firewall. But I did find Liquid filled gauges that only read to 30 PSI
Bought it during the resurrection in 2020. Who knows how long it's been broken.

No links, hints, nuttin about where or who sells the 0-30 liquid gauge? :rolleyes:

You funny guy.
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions! So many choices. I use 30psi for my old Diesel lift pump engines, 15PSI would be fine for a carb.
The big CT464 Cummins in my Roadster had a high Volume Low Pressure oil system. With a 100 PSI oil pressure gauge I never saw it register. I started looking then for a dash mount 30 PSI gauge so I could read the 5-15 PSI that it runs.

The Marshal gauges are supposed to be a good gauge.

Last edited:

The Marshal gauges are supposed to be a good gauge.

Thank you. I'll look at the white one.

Saturday Report

Carl came thru yesterday with a package from the Big Brown truck.

First thing was the tappet cover. I noticed the holes were flared, this morning. Wish I'd have seen that before painting the cover.
20220528_110004.jpg

20220528_110010.jpg

So I placed the cover on two wood blocks. Then used my sheetmetal worker skills and hammered the metal flat.
20220528_114157.jpg20220528_114200.jpg

Then as I was told me road draft tube was shorter than stock, I Hillbilly improvised with heater hose. Kurt told me 3/4" hose was a tight but doable fit.
20220528_114208.jpg

Trimmed to fit the chassis after a mockup.
20220528_114419.jpg

Installed. Don't forget the rubber bushings. My bolts had copper washers previously. With that and the crispy old gasket, I'm hoping some of my oil loss was from the cover. Think positive waves Moriarty, positive waves man.
20220528_134510.jpg

Then on to the manifolds. After fitting and sealing with copper rtv, final marriage.
20220528_153257.jpg

20220528_153308.jpg

Next, header wrap. Must be fiberglass fibers cause my wrists itch now.
20220528_164420.jpg

Installed. A few of those nuts are...ummm...special. I only dropped one spacer. Lucky me!
20220528_171309.jpg

I have misplaced one carburetor nut. Along with getting new trim screws for door cards I'm working on, I'll get two nuts.
But, the sad news is that Summit Racing let me down. All week they showed my fuel pump phenolic spacer and gaskets would arrive on Friday. They were a no show and the delivery was updated to arriving Tues. Bummer. Really wanted to finish this weekend.

Joe out.

Did you ever apply that header wrap during your motorcycle racing days?
I never used it back then. I know Burt Monro could have used it in the Worlds Fastest Indian.

Now you've got me upset! ;) I still have a short length of header wrap and I remember using it on SOMETHING. :rolleyes: But for the life of me I can't remember what.:mad: Thanks Joe! I'lI think of it at 3:00AM :(

Last edited:
I just wrapped the exhaust pipe by my new G56 in my 97 2500 Dodge. Had to be the same stuff. Itched like crazy after having it wrapped around my arm half of the time! Kevlar/Fiberglas maybe?

Back