Recommended battery?

Jeep School

Bigger Hammer
Mar 19, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Any particular brand/size etc. of battery that you prefer (with stock electrical set up and factory 226 motor)? I am guessing that a yellow top Optima isn't on the menu...:D

Thanks in advance!

Nena, you need to check to see if its ever been converted to a 12 volt system? If it has then I would go with a new 12 volt setup. If not then, both Wal Mart and Sears sells 6 volt batteries.

I am off the Optima's. I do understand they have made some changes to improve them but for several years they suffered from pre-mature internal failure due to poor connection architecture. So bad in fact that the largest reseller of Optima's (Sears) had to drop them due to excessive warranty issues caused by internal failures.

This prompted Sears to go to Odyssey batteries which are now their top 'o line 'Sears Platinum'. I now only run those and have them in all my rigs...

I bought my first gel cell battery in 1989, Gates made them then. Optima bought them out since then and I've installed and used several hundred since then(had a shop for 8 years).

I've got 2 in my Jeep, 2 in my F-350, 1 in each trailer, 1 in the car and 2 going into my Dodge van. The 2 in my Jeep survived winters in Wyoming, summers in southern AZ and lots of use and abuse, they lasted 8 1/2 years.

I've heard of problems with them but other than guys pulling the posts out of them in the late 80's (they didn't have a carry strap then so guys would use a post type carrier) I haven't heard of a lot of problems.

If I was buying an Optima I'd get a Red Top, they have a 3 year free replacement and then 3 year prorate warrenty. They don't leak, corrode, boil out, freeze, ever need water and you can mount them sideways, upside down or even right side up if you want.

As always your opinion may vary.

Thanks, both! She has the 6-volt--with the generator set-up. Checker actually had a battery in stock (according to their records), as, apparently, the Willys uses the same battery as a golf cart, of which there are MANY in Sedona. Wish me luck. ;)

Jeep School said:
Thanks, both! She has the 6-volt--with the generator set-up. Checker actually had a battery in stock (according to their records), as, apparently, the Willys uses the same battery as a golf cart, of which there are MANY in Sedona. Wish me luck. ;)

You're welcome, Optima makes a 6 volt battery too.

64 Traveler said:
[quote="Jeep School":120rhql5]Thanks, both! She has the 6-volt--with the generator set-up. Checker actually had a battery in stock (according to their records), as, apparently, the Willys uses the same battery as a golf cart, of which there are MANY in Sedona. Wish me luck. ;)

You're welcome, Optima makes a 6 volt battery too.[/quote:120rhql5]
Kev I need to wean you off those Optima's, they are just bad news and will let you down when you NEED them the most. :cheers:
Here is why I am off the Optima's.

'Optima Battery takes a Dump'

http://www.savagesun4x4.com/enter/flops_misses_and_near_misse/optima_battery_takes_a_dump.html

The engineer in me says that 'sheet happens' and that is accepted. But the engineer does his research and investigation. Somewhere in the Optima life a change in manufacturing or they were bought or?? I could not nail it down. BUT internal failures due to vibrations raised their ugly head in the Optima line and was a blow to them. I also understand that they failed the 'mil-spec' requirements based upon...vibration. This is where Odyssey shines. That and they use a 99.9% pure lead internal connector which gives them incredible efficiency and long life.

That said vibration failure is still fairly rare EXCEPT in the world of off roading specifically rock crawling. That is a bone jarring experience. This goes hand in hand with the military use. Now this in itself does not make Optima's bad. I ran them for years and for many years they were the battery of choice. My guess is somewhere in there in a small cost-saving move a specification changed and the result was a high vibration failure rate...So high that Sears dropped them. Sears has in my lifetime been known for its high quality battery's a reputation they do not want to lose.

I would say that if you are not busting the rock trails then an optima is fine and cheaper than an Odyssey... ;)

SavageSun Willys said:
[quote="64 Traveler":2t8zcmza][quote="Jeep School":2t8zcmza]Thanks, both! She has the 6-volt--with the generator set-up. Checker actually had a battery in stock (according to their records), as, apparently, the Willys uses the same battery as a golf cart, of which there are MANY in Sedona. Wish me luck. ;)

You're welcome, Optima makes a 6 volt battery too.[/quote:2t8zcmza]
Kev I need to wean you off those Optima's, they are just bad news and will let you down when you NEED them the most. :cheers:
[/quote:2t8zcmza]

Thanks Don, but I think I'll keep being Optimistic. :thumbup:

64 Traveler said:

CHECK this out:
EcoloCap claims its battery technology more than 98% efficient:

A performance evaluation undertaken by Exponent Inc has revealed that EcoloCap’s Nano Lithium X Battery offers over 98 percent efficiency and has "the world’s highest energy density output per mass". Outperforming company expectations, the battery was also found to have the "fastest recharge time of any comparable commercial battery" together with the "lowest cost per energy output".

http://www.gizmag.com/ecolocap-nano...aign=0f6af84f78-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email

SavageSun Willys said:
[quote="64 Traveler":23rgmew4]

CHECK this out:
snip [/quote:23rgmew4]

Looks good on paper, I'd like to see how it does in the real world. Do you have any info on cost? I looked to see how much it costs and couldn't find anything.

I waved when I went buy last night, did you see me? :mrgreen:

64 Traveler said:
[quote="SavageSun Willys":7yb4ae6z][quote="64 Traveler":7yb4ae6z]

CHECK this out:
snip [/quote:7yb4ae6z]

Looks good on paper, I'd like to see how it does in the real world. Do you have any info on cost? I looked to see how much it costs and couldn't find anything.

I waved when I went buy last night, did you see me? :mrgreen:[/quote:7yb4ae6z]
I think its in R&D right now...hey, you weren't down this way were you????

SavageSun Willys said:
[quote="64 Traveler":1svc84ew]

I think its in R&D right now...hey, you weren't down this way were you????[/quote:1svc84ew]

Yup, sure was. :thumbup:

64 Traveler said:
[quote="SavageSun Willys":ix7avywm][quote="64 Traveler":ix7avywm]

I think its in R&D right now...hey, you weren't down this way were you????[/quote:ix7avywm]

Yup, sure was. :thumbup:[/quote:ix7avywm]
I thought you were not down here till April...heck had I known that I would have shoot at you as you went by... ;)

SavageSun Willys said:
[quote="64 Traveler":hhj9fp7u]
Yup, sure was. :thumbup:
I thought you were not down here till April...heck had I known that I would have shoot at you as you went by... ;)[/quote:hhj9fp7u]

Feel free, just remember INCOMING fire has the right away... :cool:

ive been restoring and mostly driving old cars for the last 30 yrs and found that a marine/rv deep cyle starting battery to be a sound investment my cars or trucks sometimes sit for extended periods and these batteries accept charge without degrading i used one in several cars for over ten years its now in afriends boat and still in service after 12 yrs they are only about ten bucks more than other maintanance free batteries and hold up to dicharge recharge much better i charge in the spring and once in the fall

Has anyone tried an 8 volt battery? I use one in my John Deere "B" and it spins the engine faster and doesn't seem to harm the light bulbs or gauges. Thinking about trying it in the 1950 pickup.

Yes, that is a common practice for 6V systems, especially as they age.
An 8V system is a little bit more forgiving of less than perfect connections.
All the 6V parts will tolerate 8V with no problem.
Of course, you'll have to tweak your Voltage regulator up to 8V+ or the battery will never be fully charged.
But you already know that if you've done it on a tractor. Same deal.

Back