Aug 30, 2016
Tx
First Name
Randy
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
I take it the booster has a vacuum leak then. Great they found it as now you will have better brakes as well. :)
Yes, the power booster diaphragm has a vacuum leak that is allowing air to enter the intake downstream of the MAF sensor, so the computer is going from rich to lean trying to compensate each time the brake pedal is depressed.

Randy

RandyP

Precision Fit
Aug 30, 2016
Tx
First Name
Randy
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
I just read through your last page. As you probably saw on my Ls engine there is a big learning curve. I am hoping that it will be worth it in the end. I hope everything works out for you after they get it tuned correctly.

Keith
I do think it will be worth the frustration once it gets set up correctly. It's the fear of the unknown for me. This is my first experience with computer controlled motors.
I can tell that it already runs alot better than it did before just from pulling on and off the trailer. The tuner guy changed alot of the engine and transmission settings and will fine tune them on the dyno once I repair the vacuum leak.

Randy

Last edited:

Rodger

Sharpest Tool
Mar 30, 2017
Valrico,Florida
First Name
Rodger
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
You are going to be absolutely thrilled with your set-up once finalized. I had no experience with computer controlled engines or transmissions and was intimidated by the project. My Ls was all from one donor , Painless wiring conversion and I had them re-flash the ecu. It ran erratic upon initial start up due to faulty maf sensor, once replaced has given me 2 years of trouble free service during almost daily driving.
Hang in there !

RandyP

Precision Fit
Aug 30, 2016
Tx
First Name
Randy
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
I found the problem when I removed the vacuum booster. Pieces of plastic fell out of the rubber boot where the brake rod is located. Guessing it was cracked when I bought it?
The replacement booster won't be here until one day this week so I snatched the booster from my Model A PU and installed it temporarily, so I could check out the new engine tune. After a short drive in front of my house I decided to take it on a real first drive. Ended up being around 25 miles to the gas station and back. Still plan on taking it back for the final dyno check but it runs and shifts pretty good now! Whoohoo!

PhotoGrid_Plus_1620065600077.jpg

Randy

Last edited:

POPS52

Sharpest Tool
Mar 23, 2020
Tome New Mexico
First Name
Roger
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
I found the problem when I removed the vacuum booster. Pieces of plastic fell out of the rubber boot where the brake rod is located. Guessing it was cracked when I bought it?
The replacement booster won't be here until one day this week so I snatched the booster from my Model A PU and installed it temporarily, so I could check out the new engine tune. After a short drive I front of my house I decided to take it on a real first drive. Ended up being around 25 miles to the gas station and back. Still plan on taking it back for the final dyno check but runs and shifts pretty good now! Whoohoo!

View attachment 98117

Randy
Congrats. Glad it worked out that way.