Ramblin' Rose - 1963 Willys Pickup

For jobs like that, and transfer case bushings, I made a tool out of a quality extended punch. If you grind a nice punch like I did be sure quench often, before it even turns blue. It will take a while but you'll use it many times in the future. Place it between the seal and the housing, round side out, and strike it with a hammer to colapse the outer edge of the seal where you already removed so much material and then pry it out.

1563646681995.png

Going to be 100 the next week to 10 days so I'm still waiting for a good day to work on the Willys.
Spent the past month helping husband rehab and regain the ability to walk
and finishing up the afghan for the state fair.

JW

Going to be 100 the next week to 10 days so I'm still waiting for a good day to work on the Willys.
Spent the past month helping husband rehab and regain the ability to walk
and finishing up the afghan for the state fair.

JW
Hope your husband recovers fully. Much more important than working on vehicles.

For jobs like that, and transfer case bushings, I made a tool out of a quality extended punch. If you grind a nice punch like I did be sure quench often, before it even turns blue. It will take a while but you'll use it many times in the future. Place it between the seal and the housing, round side out, and strike it with a hammer to colapse the outer edge of the seal where you already removed so much material and then pry it out.

View attachment 61335

Interesting... Did you know you've semi replicated a tool known as a "cape chisel"? Good job.. Very clever.

No, I didn't know that so I looked it up. Learn something new every day! Thanks!

Slot-Cutting Chisels for Metal
3569a5p1s.png

Also known as cape chisels and cold chisels, these cut slots and get into tight places.

Blade
Wd.Overall
Lg.MaterialEnd StyleHandle
Type Each1/8"5 1/2"SteelStandardSmooth3569A1$7.573/16"5 1/2"SteelStandardSmooth3569A28.121/4"5 1/2"SteelStandardSmooth3569A38.395/16"6 1/4"SteelStandardSmooth3569A49.123/8"7"SteelStandardSmooth3569A510.531/2"8"SteelStandardSmooth3569A614.04

Somebody is going to get a cape chisel for christmas this year...

We have an MRI on thursday followed by an hour of physical therapy.
Visit the ortho guy next week.
Back to the podiatrist in two weeks.
Eye doctor and hearing aid guy by the end of the month.

Hopefully it will cool down in 3 weeks so I can get the brakes on the Willys and order the fuel tank.

JW

Somebody is going to get a cape chisel for christmas this year...

We have an MRI on thursday followed by an hour of physical therapy.
Visit the ortho guy next week.
Back to the podiatrist in two weeks.
Eye doctor and hearing aid guy by the end of the month.

Hopefully it will cool down in 3 weeks so I can get the brakes on the Willys and order the fuel tank.

JW

JW, I don't how you do it all....

Today was another Physical Therapy day after another sleepless night.

I finally hit the wall and crashed and burned at 4:50 pm when we got back home.
Put husband to bed and cold pack on his ankles.
Fed the dogs
Got a cold glass of water.
Sat in the lounger and fell asleep for 3 hours.

Now I have to finish my clinical trial case report forms and head to bed.

My plan is to bring home new cardboard tomorrow afternoon and work on Ramblin Rose when the temps cool down.

JW

Back